Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 11:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
530 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Absolutely newbie questions

Started by Aviator1111, January 28, 2015, 04:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviator1111

Hi everybody!

First of all I'm sorry for opening a new topic for this, I suppose you have one similar, but I'm fresh new here, registrated today, and I couldn't find it.

So. I'm absolutely newbie for cockpit building. I use FSX for 11 years now, so I can say I'm quite experienced about simulator flying and the software itself, and a little bit of networking, Simconnect, FSUIPC, just in order to be able to run Active Sky and all the other auxiliary applications separated from FSX from a laptop. And that's all about my knowledge, being honest, it is close to zero if we look at cockpit building.

But - as I graduated as an aeronautical (mechanical) engineer - I'm really motivated and interested in the way how this is done, I want to learn everything about it, read about it a lot, maybe I want these and the building process itself more than just simply having a home cockpit. As I was browsing the internet I saw that many pre-assembled parts can be bought, or should be bought, but they are way too expensive (for me). So I'm interested in building as many parts as I can by myself, not just because of it is cheaper, but I'm interested in as well. Of course I know that I won't be able to manufacture every parts at home, so I will have to buy some of them, especially if it affects the appearance of the cockpit or the level of reality, for example a throttle quadrant or an overhead panel.

I know one thing for sure, I want an A320 family style cockpit as real as possible and I want to use FSX.

So at first I need your help to find as many books, tutorials, videos, descriptions, documentations, as possible, to be able to start reading and clearing those issues which are huge dark spots at the moment.

Thank you very much for your help and time in advance, and sorry for being so so newbie, but everybody has to begin somewhere. :)

Thanks and regards,
Adam

KyleH

Welcome Adam.

I see you appear to know that the first step in building a home flight sim is to research research research.
Look up Mikes Flight Deck, he has a couple of books that are good to read and have some projects that you can build yourself. I'm not sure how much they apply to an A320 but they can be a good reference.
Read lots on this site, and other sites.

You need to make a lot of other decisions, about available space, single or dual seat, what kind of visual system, software package, interface cards etc.

Read lots of stuff, then come back and ask specific questions.

As for cost. This is an expensive hobby. You can spread the cost out over time by building in well thought out stages. Building yourself is good, but there are costs you can't get around. Computer systems for running FSX at this level need to be well designed systems, not just the deal of the week from hp.
See here for that: http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

While I, and most here, are Boeing guys, you've picked one of the better aircraft for building from a low complexity standpoint. No autothrottle, linked yokes, and the panel is a simple layout.
There are only 2 downfalls I see:
1)If you want a scaled pit, the A320 is much wider than the 737.
2)Available software. I believe that there isn't as much choice when it comes to avionics packages for the Airbus vs the 737.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Trevor Hale

Kyle is 100% right.  When it comes to building usually some of us get to a 3rd or 4th rebuild before we are 100% satisfied.  My First Sim was an A330.  Simple Joystick and junk yard parts in that.  The best easiest thing for you would be to try to do this to learn, as it is how I learned for the first time.

#1. Wood and paint go a long way to making your desktop aircraft into a simulator and it is CHEAP!
#2. Maybe work on a single computer system to start, You can connect multiple monitors to your flightsim PC (Providing your framerates can hold).  Run your outside view, and 3 "MAIN INSTRUMENT PANEL (MIP) Monitors.  You can play with the panel config file and move your favorite airplanes gauges onto the lower monitors.  Put some wood over the 3 lower monitors and cut out the Bezels.  Then get yourself a leo Bodnar card and this will allow you to assign 32 switches to various functions inside fsuipc.  This will start you learning before you jump to the multi networked computers and full blow systems.

#3. Start slow and cheap, too many people blow way too much money only to realize they just don;t want to be in this hobby anymore.  You will not and I repeat NOT make any money back selling stuff you buy.  so any money you spend, don't ever think you can get your money back if you sell it.

Good Luck.,

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Sam Llorca

I have to agree with Trevor, hardware you buy today and even if is new in a box, you still not going to sale it, is very rare to see someone come and buy your hardware for what is worth, Humm, now I understand why I have so much Sim stuff laying around my shop, makes a good shop decorations tho.

Sean

The other option is to buy 2nd hand gear. 737 is king here, good 737 kit is always coming up for sale.

Aviator1111

QuoteMaybe work on a single computer system to start, You can connect multiple monitors to your flightsim PC (Providing your framerates can hold).  Run your outside view, and 3 "MAIN INSTRUMENT PANEL (MIP) Monitors.

That's exatcly what I'm trying to do now. :) I've opened a topic (Airbus X FCU) with my first question, if you can, I'll appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot guys!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate