Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
539 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A good powersupply with 5v and 12v

Started by kurt-olsson, May 31, 2016, 09:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Hi

Where can i find a good powersupply for simulators?
I know lots of you use converted pc supplies.

But i am a little afraid of modding them and i would like something with short-protection if somethink in mu build goes wrong.

I would also need something you can plug into the wall without having to cut wires etc.

Thanks

mikeybear

Hi Peter,

What are you trying to power, ?

I run a large number of arduino's which I power off USB Adaptors , including a couple of 3 ways Adaptors from IKEA ! This way I don't potentially have enough current to weld with waiting to fry everything if someone goes wrong . For 12v you can also get 4A Adaptors for powering monitors , like http://stores.ebay.com/njytouch/LCD-controller-board-kits-DIY-/_i.html?_fsub=2982811018
You can get this quite easily without having to wait for "from China " shipping I just knew where this link was.

Regards

Dave

navymustang

Peter - I think you will find that almost all of us utilize PC power supplies in some form or another.  I have a power distribution strip down stream from the PC power supply where I fuse essential items.  I have been very comfortable using this technique in all my simulators.

Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

kurt-olsson

Thanks for your info...

The more i look it seems like lots of people go this way.
Maybe i should use molex connectors, that way i dont have to solder anything...

RayS

I use Modded PC supplies. Really the only mod is sorting out 2 pins on the ATX connector:

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

I've had a fair amount of success with using PC power supplies. My only issue is that as my build grows, so do the power requirements. Sometimes it's difficult to stay in front of that. ;-)

The good PC supplies all have built in short protection and thermal protection so there's very little danger in using them, even with those 2 pins shorted so it can be used outside of a PC environment.

Don't use cheap Chinese ones ones though... I use Corsair 1000w supplies and have never had any issues with them.
Ray Sotkiewicz

mikeybear

Quote from: RayS on May 31, 2016, 01:44:46 PM
I use Corsair 1000w supplies and have never had any issues with them.

I'm now curious as to what you're powering with all this power

Regards

Dave

RayS

That's going to be fun to answer!  :o

Let's see...

3 LCD Panels
3 Ruscool IO cards (Pulling a LOT of juice through these guys with all the annunciators & Relay systems on board)
1 FlightIllusion Turboprop engine gauge set
3 FlightIllusion radios
1 FlightIllusion Autopilot
6 LED Dimmer circuits & LED strips
6 backlit panels

I'm sure I've missed a few things.

The Engine gauges will let me know when I'm running low on power. They boot up 'differently', never fully initializing on startup.

Ray Sotkiewicz

727737Nut

Problem with PC power supply's are that they are unregulated when used in a non pc environment

My 5v line dropped to 4.56v  My 12v line dropped to 11.6v    I went to regulated power supplys that adjust to the amp load.  They use feedback wiring to continually adjust output to maintain set voltage up to rated current.   Now disclaimer is the 90% of you could care less but for me, I notice that voltage drop by dimmer back lighting and sluggish motor ops.   No disrespect meant to anyone.
737 Junkie

RayS

Hmm.. I never thought of that internal feedback loop. I wonder if that's why I blow power supply after power supply.

What kind of power supplies do you have in your sim? I might need to upgrade mine...
Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

I use three of them
One for the MIP 300W
One for the pedestal 250W
One for the OVH (IBL bulbs backlighting) 1200W

Shorter wiring
Spreading the load
Not relying on one single unit.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3995&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=81

Jack

KyleH

Rob is correct.

Strictly speaking though, the PC supplies are not unregulated, it's just the sense points for the regulation are in the supply or at the connector.

When using them in a flight sim environment, we have long runs of the cable from the power supply to a bus or the other devices. Because of the amount of current being pulled over these wires, they act like small resistors, and you get a voltage drop which if you measure at your bus or device, as Rob pointed out, looks like the supply is outputting 0.5V less.
If you were to measure the supply at the connector or its sense point, you would get the proper 5V (if you don't your pulling too much power from that power supply).

The supplies we should be using will have connections for Remote Voltage Sense. You connect these ports to your bus/load which makes the bus the sense point for the regulation.
Like so:

I don't think this would have any effect on damaging your power supplies Ray. Though it wouldn't be good for equipment you've got attached that's looking for a stable 5V reference.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

kurt-olsson

Thanks again for all the replies. I will use my gold mini-itx powesupply that is new. I thought of using an old one, but then as ray said this one prob has circuit and heat protection.

I will use mine strict for lights and throttle motors.

kurt-olsson

Converted powersupply with only one cable. Works like a charm!
Stable 5v,12v and 3,5v if i remembee correct.

The supply has short-protection but no on/off switch.

jackpilot

This can emulate the battery switch

Jack

kurt-olsson

Ah cool, i will get a switch for this. Thanks.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate