Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 10:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
528 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 528
Total: 528

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A Sad day for the Sim last week

Started by James twomey, April 14, 2018, 03:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James twomey

I know that I very rarely post here. But I do read much from here.  So today I felt I finally had something to contribute.

The following your about to read are actual events that occured on 8 Apr 2018.

So it was a sad day in the sim world last week.  I was a happy Capt, taking my 178 Passengers and crew to our destination in KDFW.  We were climbing through 22k feet when all of  a sudden I started smelling something out of the ordinary.  Something electrical.  Something NOT GOOD. Then there was a flash, a POP and then the dreaded sound of all my USB's disconnecting one by one as all my lights in my MIP and overhead went out. My reflexes kicked in and hit the electrical kill switch to hopefully stop any further electrical damage. As I looked out the flight deck window, I watched in horror as my Boeing 738, slowly listed to the right and the nose began to drift down to the ground. I knew then what my passengers didn't. 

So how is your project coming along!!!!

navymustang

Oh I can share that sickening feeling. It can overcome you so much - you say to hell with this sim. And for days, maybe weeks you don't even look at it.

But then your love for the hobby overcomes you, and you go back, touch the sim gently as though it was a life, and you say I'm here to fix you. And back to work you go.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FredK

Hi James -

That event is unfortunate, but as already pointed out...just take a deep breath and give it some time.  Then return to it with a renewed vigor and a clear mind.

That said, electrical "malfunction" events like this are the dread of all cockpitbuilders.  What exactly happened in your case?  Such could be helpful to know for all of us here.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jr2mey

@ NavyMustang- Oh so right you are.  And I did exactly as you just described!  In Fact, to guard against any possible future catastrophic IO board failure due to such a PSU failure power surge, I have now built a PSU to breakout box to serve as a buffer between PSU and my 738 Sim systems.  Question for you. Does your user name imply what I think it does?

@ FredK, What happened with my sim is that my PSU failed in mid flight.  When it failed, it dropped all the power to all my IO boards, HUBs and backlighting to my panels. When building my sim, I had installed a hidden kill switch in case of a electrical fire.  So when this PSU casualty occured, I hit the kill switch to be safe.
After the repairs, I started back up the sim late last night and it seems that any power surge I might have experienced did not affect any of my IO boards.....How very lucky I am!!!
James

Trevor Hale

I can't stress enough, due to circumstances like this, the reason to keep a small ABC fire extinguisher handy.

We never know what can and will go wrong.  I am glad it was only a power supply.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

navymustang

r2mey - perhaps

A "true" Navy mustang is an enlisted person who is meritoriously promoted to officer without a college degree. Then there are some others who just happened to have served as enlisted prior to going to college and getting a commission. But they are still pretty good folks too !
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

GeriatricGinger

Quote from: Trevor Hale on April 15, 2018, 03:51:06 AM
I can't stress enough, due to circumstances like this, the reason to keep a small ABC fire extinguisher handy.

We never know what can and will go wrong.  I am glad it was only a power supply.

Trev
Whens the last time, Trev, that you've seen the alphabet randomly burst into flames?   :o
Carenado - B350i KA, 390i Premier IA, A36 Bonanza, 1900D
Alabeo - DA-42
Majestic - Dash 8

jr2mey

@NavyMustang... The reason I ask is becuase I also once belonged; 23 years. x613 (Engineering)
James

Trevor Hale

Quote from: GeriatricGinger on April 15, 2018, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: Trevor Hale on April 15, 2018, 03:51:06 AM

Trev
Whens the last time, Trev, that you've seen the alphabet randomly burst into flames?   :o

Lol. You have watched me fly Ginger. Ha ha. anything can happen when I am behind the Yoke. Lol

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

RayS

That happens on a regular basis in the Marine Corps.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate