Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 12:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
546 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 546
Total: 546

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Computer / Projector Combo

Started by Jason L, April 14, 2019, 04:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L

I currently have one 8700k overclocked to 5ghz with a 1080ti.  I want to bump up to a three projector setup.  Do you think if I setup another computer similar to my main one, with same CPU and Vid card that I can run two projectors off of one of the computers, and another off the second?
Should this setup work OK?

navymustang

I would run all three from one computer. The frame rate may be slightly less, but the overall appearance will be better because of the total synch of each window rather than relaying on something like WideView to make an attempt to synch multiple computers.

I have built systems running 4 projectors running on a very high-end graphics card on a single computer with great success.

In fact I have a client who runs two computers, one for the cockpit displays and one for the visual. P3D only runs on the visual and all three projectors are running from there, along with Prosim and supporting utilities. He is very satisfied with the results. One major advantage of this approach is the ability to use GSX and all the fun results of animated jetways, ground vehicles, etc.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Jason L

So should I look to add a second 1080ti to my existing computer and run two displays off one video card and the third off the second?
Is the math still accurate as far as each display will cut the frames down, so if I run 3 views from 3 projectors my frames will be about a third of what I get with one view and one projector?

Just trying to manage that.

Trevor Hale

Just a tidbit for you (With experience).
If you run 3 displays on one card or 3 displays on 3 cards, your frames will drop aprox 30% for each display you add.  More cards doesn't equate to same frames on each card.  Especially with P3D.  Your still sharing the CPU with each display.
You won't see an economical benefit by adding another 1080ti. Maybe 5 frames.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Jason L

Quote from: Trevor Hale on April 15, 2019, 03:19:38 AM
Just a tidbit for you (With experience).
If you run 3 displays on one card or 3 displays on 3 cards, your frames will drop aprox 30% for each display you add.  More cards doesn't equate to same frames on each card.  Especially with P3D.  Your still sharing the CPU with each display.
You won't see an economical benefit by adding another 1080ti. Maybe 5 frames.

Trev
Ok that's what I thought.  Right now with one I bottom out in the upper 50s...so I can assume with two views I'd be 25fps plus which is acceptable. Think I may look at the second computer then for the third display.

With that being said is wideview the best option to link them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trevor Hale

I have a I7-8700K with a GTX 980 Video card <-- OLD and I get 20-25 on the Ground at a FSDreamteam Airport, 50-60 at FL260 with 4 Undocked Windows. main front is large, then the two side windows are about 19" the 4th undocked is a tiny outside view camera.

I have had to reduce Active sky to 2 cloud layers which made a big difference because Frames would tank with overcast skies and REX Skyforce. Mind you I am not running at 4K resolution, but just a thought.
I would try all on one card if I was you before I would delve in the the multiple machine realm, that will significantly increase the costs, especially because you have to buy 2 of every scenery and 2 of every software.
Just saying.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

It will be nice when the day comes to only use one outside view that would have 3d vector handles and an ability to place them anywhere you want on the edges. Thus, changing the shape of the view to match whatever curve your projector or monitor(s) shape is.

IMHO, the real problem with frame rates after all these years is the running of 4 window views (docked or undocked) from within the sim program. If it were only one view that was shapeable, there would be no need for multiple pc setups or multiple anything really.

Whoever creates software or hardware to do this without costing an arm and a leg will be the history maker, but mind you I am talking about use for the home/semi pro cockpit builders, not about the big time stuff that is already out there costing thousands or millions of dollars...ah, too dream!

In the mean time, listen to Trevor because that is what a lot of us are doing for the time being... :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate