Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:42:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
507 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Need a small favour

Started by Maurice, December 24, 2012, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 30, 2012, 06:26:57 AM
Very interesting perspective on XP Scott. Excellent write up, look forward to the videos.

On the matter of AMD Eyefinity, can you not run XP on an extended view, so with an outside resolution of say 3073 x 1024? It would mean that XP would then see the resolution as a single wide monitor.

Just asking the question here, not making an argument  8) just wondered if that would work?

Regards
Joe.

You can do that Joe but what you will have is a wide Forward looking view similiar to what you have in FSX when not running multiple windows.    That forward view can have whatever fov width you want but your eyepoint is straight ahead.  This is not suitable to a wraparound screen setup with projectors or monitors.  If you widen it out and wrap it around it will give a fisheye effect that doesn't look right.   You really want to have multiple slices of view with the left and right views pointing in different directions.   We all figured out how to do this in FSX thanks to Ivar's work a couple years ago using multiple windows and adjusting the eye points, rotations, and zooms in the .FLT file of FSX but in X-Plane there is no way to do this.  You can change the direction of view, elevation, fov degrees, and zoom right from within X-Planes rendering menu but only for one window/view.   Hence the need for 3 computers.  Each runs a single view but pointed in different directions.  Mine are each running a 70 degree fov with the left computer set to -65, center computer (which is also the master) set to 5, and the right set to 75.   This gives the best perspective from pilots chair without crab effect of a wraparound system.

Hope this helps explain.   Oh, and you only need 3 copies of X-Plane Global not Professional.   The pro version has warping features to my understanding but I haven't tried it.  I use the Globa version and run NThusim on each computer (3 licenses of Nthusim standard).    You could also add another computer/instance of X-plane for an instructor station which I am going to do also but haven't yet.  You could add another and dedicate it to be the master and not have it also be a visual PC.   Possibilities are endless but you need multiple computers.  On the plus side, performance is awesome though make no mistake, even X-plane can bring a computer to its knees with all rendering maxed out and photo scenery like realscenery or a large airport running.   

Scott

Joe Lavery

Thanks Scott, eloquently explained as usual, and answered a few questions for me.

I may have to investigate XP, if only for the future when I get a projection system running.  :)

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

rhysb

Scott,

I share your love of xplane 10 and like you now have a dual FSX and xplane setup and I have now got to the point of flying xplane at night and FSX in the day.

I don't share however your optimism of scenery add-ons for xplane 10. In my view it's just not going to happen and too many promises from developers have remained undelivered!

I think in the US it may be different but I just can't see it over here! Aerosoft for one have completely lied to everyone on their xplane program.

Anyway rant over anyone who doubts xplane load it up at night on a 10mile final into Genova on the northerly runway with HDR on and be amazed!

Anyway Maurice, sorry to hijack your post but I can see AI at cyyz. Are you using a 3rd party Addon?
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Maurice

Quote from: Maurice on December 29, 2012, 12:30:03 PM

Apparently this resolved my problem with CYYZ. The program found one BGL file and I disabled it and now I can see all kinds of traffic in CYYZ.

But now, unfortunately, my frame rates at all major airports particularly have taken a nose dive and I can barely get 10fps even with only 20% traffic. This was not happening when I just had TrafficX installed so the only change was the upgrade to Traffic360 which seems to add a lot of extra activity or whatever and is killing the frame rates.

So now, I will uninstall Traffic360 and go back to TrafficX and see what happens.

Maurice

Well it seems like Traffic360 does affect the frame rates much more than my older TrafficX. So I went back to TrafficX and everything is back to normal and I also see planes parked in CYYZ which was my original question, so all is good now.

Thank you again Les & John for your very helpful inputs,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Quote from: rhysb on December 31, 2012, 01:03:18 AM
Scott,

I share your love of xplane 10 and like you now have a dual FSX and xplane setup and I have now got to the point of flying xplane at night and FSX in the day.

I don't share however your optimism of scenery add-ons for xplane 10. In my view it's just not going to happen and too many promises from developers have remained undelivered!

Maybe but based on what I am seeing I don't agree completely.   I think a lot has been delivered already if you look around.  I posted a new thread here for the topic.
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=3032.msg23384#msg23384

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate