Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:33:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
512 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 512
Total: 512

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Thinking of upgrading to Windows 10?

Started by RayS, December 30, 2015, 11:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfuenmayor

Well, I do not think these are conspiracy theories. The fact is,  Windows 10 IS NOT a brand new operating system, it is just the same Windows 7 with a face lift. Windows 7 itself is an NT derivative (which had bugs), like a serious memory leak fixed in Win7, 2000 still had problems. Writing a new Kernel is a monumental task and it usually takes years to develop. That is why I brought up UNIX, which is a monolithic kernel vs. Windows NT derivatives which are a microkernel. UNIX is written in C,  Windows in C++, well I guess, since I have never seen the source code. If one wants to really learn how an OS works, look at the Linux Kernel Sources. Good luck with that :).

The kernel is the heart of the OS, it controls I/O operations etc. What you see in front of your screen is a graphic user interface, same as the case with MacOS which is based on a BSD UNIX Kernel with their front own end interface. So an OS should be just that, an OS which maintains applications in its own space. Windows is ubiquitous simply because you get it coupled with your PC. Try installing it from scratch. Try for example, substituting Windows 8 on a laptop to Windows 7.  Now, if you have a spare PC, download and install Linux Mint and see the difference. No reboots. Like I said, Windows 7 is solid. Don't be a beta tester for MS and wait until all the hardware is supported.
Don't get me wrong, I like Windows but I dislike it when just by changing a dependency, your are "forced" to make choices that are basically not necessary. From the functional point of view, is there any real change from in Win 10 from Win 7 other than eye candy and touch scree capabilities ( not that useful in a desktop )?.
If you are starting from scratch, by all means use the latest, If you want change for the sake of change, have a second look.
I agree with caution.
Cheers.

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

:2cw:

I will help solve it with two words...

Dual Boot

IMHO, you put in an identical drive matching your C drive (same type/brand); you clone your C drive onto this drive. Then, you select this drive during the boot up sequence and install Win10 on it. Or, if you prefer for better protection, unplug the interface cable from the original drive, and then boot up.

My point is, if you want to try Win10 in your sim too find out if it works, without destroying your original setup, you buy that additional identical drive. Think about this, if you go at it without some sort of backup or way too go back, you will spend hours upon hours getting your sim back to where it was...well, it will never be the way you had it...right?

Another way is just clone your drive beforehand onto an external USB drive or whatever, but too me that is relying on the clone/backup software too much. I rather have the working hardware right there in front of me, hence the dual boot/same drive scenario. Remember, I am just talking about your main simulator computer(s) and not your avionics, nor your work/home computer; you could do the same thing too them, but it would get costly or with some you cannot do, like a laptop. To clarify, you will not be able to place a second identical drive into a laptop because there will be no room; however, you can use the clone onto an external drive method with any computer, but I just prefer not to rely on that method.

I suppose my way is to have a first aid kit on hand if I am going too play with the latest and greatest cutting edge technology. That way if I get cut, I can fix myself and learn my lesson...lol  :idiot:

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Live2Fly

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 04, 2016, 05:43:56 AM
Hey Everyone,

:2cw:

I will help solve it with two words...

Dual Boot

IMHO, you put in an identical drive matching your C drive (same type/brand); you clone your C drive onto this drive. Then, you select this drive during the boot up sequence and install Win10 on it. Or, if you prefer for better protection, unplug the interface cable from the original drive, and then boot up.

My point is, if you want to try Win10 in your sim too find out if it works, without destroying your original setup, you buy that additional identical drive. Think about this, if you go at it without some sort of backup or way too go back, you will spend hours upon hours getting your sim back to where it was...well, it will never be the way you had it...right?

Another way is just clone your drive beforehand onto an external USB drive or whatever, but too me that is relying on the clone/backup software too much. I rather have the working hardware right there in front of me, hence the dual boot/same drive scenario. Remember, I am just talking about your main simulator computer(s) and not your avionics, nor your work/home computer; you could do the same thing too them, but it would get costly or with some you cannot do, like a laptop. To clarify, you will not be able to place a second identical drive into a laptop because there will be no room; however, you can use the clone onto an external drive method with any computer, but I just prefer not to rely on that method.

I suppose my way is to have a first aid kit on hand if I am going too play with the latest and greatest cutting edge technology. That way if I get cut, I can fix myself and learn my lesson...lol  :idiot:

Best Regards,

John

Perfect solution!  You could also install a drive caddy and then just have dedicated hard drives for different OSes or applications, etc..

I think that's a great idea John and that last statement is a great analogy.

FredK

Can anyone confirm an actual performance value for Win10 as pertains to flight simming.....specifically versus Win7?

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

RayS

Quote"Spending money, time and energy updating, reinstalling, re-initializing, correcting, searching, solving or not new issues is not my vision of a flight simulator."

When I upgraded to Win10, I spent the next 5 days doing exactly this... Even engaging Microsoft Support to help retrofit Win8.1 back onto my 2 systems that Windows 10 completely bricked. (FWIW: Microsoft Online Support was incredibly helpful and solved my problems in a little under 2 hours.)

Quote"There seems to be a general trend throughout society that if things are new, they are to be avoided."

...I also work in the IT industry and being an early-adopter can not only ruin a once stable computing platform, it can also ruin careers. There's no pain quite as exquisite as telling your boss you just installed "MakeMeGoFaster" v1.0 on the production server.

As a general rule, I've had great success (Especially with MS products) by waiting until at least SP1 if anything is released.

In IT there's an ongoing inside joke that goes along the lines of "...Works on MY machine!" (As if to imply there's nothing really wrong with the product, and it's the end-user that's the problem.) I had to chuckle when I read something similar in this thread.

In all honesty, I can't think of any compelling reason at this point to upgrade to win10, so my systems will remain on 8.1 until such time it becomes necessary, if ever.

Like the saying goes... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ray Sotkiewicz

RayS

Quote from: FredK on January 05, 2016, 06:00:00 AM
Can anyone confirm an actual performance value for Win10 as pertains to flight simming.....specifically versus Win7?

Fred K

Win10: 0 FPS, no scenery, no sound, no outside (nor inside) views, no weather, no AI, no ATC.

Win7/8: 60+ FPS, Scenery, Sound, Views, weather, AI AND ATC!

So.. yeah... huge difference (At least for me) 8.1 is sooper-performant over win10!

(Sorry... couldn't resist...  :angel: )
Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

I second the last two posts!! :D

Hey!! BTW I just noticed that this is my #3000 post   ;D
Beer for all onboard !

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate