Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 12:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
516 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 516
Total: 516

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What if CB could setup or designate someone just in case of...?

Started by blueskydriver, February 21, 2016, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

As I sit here getting ready to go out and do more in the hangar, I started thinking about Ian and others who have passed in the flight simulation hobby, while having a rather large build or certain aspects that could be transferred to someone else (like Ian's website or the cockpit of another builder that Matt on MyCockpit is helping out with).

Surely, we all have a Will in place for our families to use in case of our sudden or long term demise, but when it comes to cockpit building, does your Will really define it for you. I believe this hobby is somewhat like the RC hobby. A person who owns a lot of RC planes and accessories goes his whole hobby lifetime without a plan for his items; especially, if that person were too leave this world suddenly. That is why you sometimes see some really great things sold for pennies at auctions or RC swap meets.

Of course it's not about the return of money to the spouse/partner or children left behind, but it can be more of burden for them when they do not know what things are, what they're worth or how too go about doing away with the items. Now, apply that thought to Cockpit Building...hopefully, I am making sense. The point here is, we all know each other by posting and sometimes seeing each other, but too me it would be nice to have a list of members names, addresses and phone numbers for wives, partners or their children to use just in case of?

Who do you have as a designee for your items?

For me, I got Trevor's card still on my fridge that Karen will use if I pass away, she also has Bob's, Scott's, Rob's and Sam's info written down and stuck on her desk. So, you 4 guys are my designee's even though you're just finding that out in this post...surprise! Seriously though, she knows too call you guys and go from there...

It would be nice if we had a volunteer list of other members who would be willing too help based on where they live. I know that sounds like a lot, but when thinking about those that get left behind with your project(s), it would be a whole lot easier for them by having someone too contact.

If anyone wants too use me as designee, PM for my information.

Best Regards,

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trevor Hale

Its an interesting Idea John.  One that I have contemplated many times.  I actually think Warren made reference to this topic not to long ago.  In my case, I doubt (Or would like to hope) that Bob or I would never pass away at the same time.  My Wife knows how to get a hold of Bob, or Sam.  They would know what to do with my Stuff.  As for Cockpitbuilders..  Bob and I have put ourselves in a position that as long aw we don't pass away together the site will be in good hands.

Honestly though.  My main concern is for this site and the knowledge it carries with it.  As for my SIM Stuff, she could have a bin delivered and throw it all out for all I care LOL. You never get money back for this stuff.  It is designed to be a hobby to keep us happy while we live.  But when I am gone. It likely isn't going to be worth much to anyone else.

Trev

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

navymustang

This is a topic worth discussing. Just last year here in Central Florida we had a wonderful gentleman pass away after building an entire hanger for his sim which was the complete nose of a 737. I am sure his wife was at a loss as to how to handle the situation. She was fortunate that one of our members stepped in to assist in selling his sim and collection of parts.
I know my wife would have no idea how to handle a major sale of parts. And in some cases, our spouses or family would loose thousands of dollars not knowing the value of our sims.
I like the idea of having a team of builders who would volunteer to consult with our families in times of crises. At a minimum, have a contact email for them to reach out to.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

I agree with John, it is a good idea, but (big but)
As Trevor mentioned, the "value" of our sims is highly hypothetical.
All those who tried to sell learned the hard way that the value of  the investment is more like 25% capital and interest  included.
The most difficult part being to find someone interested, even at a fraction of the cost.
Full size Boeing/Airbus sims owners are a very small percentage of the "sim Community" and the majority of other would-be builders would love a full cockpit but
a) do not have the space needed
b) have rightfully no clue on how to fire it (and keep it running)
b) run away when they see 5 digits prices
b) think they can do it for peanuts out of  mdf/lexan/old keyboards

Far cry from an organized market.

I may be pessimistic but unfortunately this is what experience tends to prove.
Unless you have kids ready to take over, the  only advice I would give to lifespan-challenged pilots like "yours truly" is to know beforehand who would be interested in your sim (as a free gift mostly) whether it is a friend or a local flight school, and to let it know to whoever lives with you (wife, would-be wife, faithful dog, neighbor, pet monkey, ..etc)

:D :D

Jack

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jackpilot on February 22, 2016, 09:04:12 AM

(as a free gift mostly) whether it is a friend or a local flight school, and to let it know to whoever lives with you (wife, would-be wife, faithful dog, neighbor, pet monkey, ..etc)

I couldn't agree more.  In my case, my wife would likely just be happy to get rid of it, and finding someone who would be willing to come pick it up (FOR FREE) would likely be a big enough relief for her.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Sam Llorca

I agree with all of you guys ideas, 3 years ago I had a bad incident in regards to my health, I was in intensive care for a whole week! and my family have no idea of what my sim is worth or what to do with it, but I know that if something ever happen to me, Bob, Trevor, Ray, John and Kyle would back my family up on what is needed to sale or donate my sim.

and I thank you guys for been there, honestly, is great to be able to count on a great group of guys like you.   

great topic!

Trevor Hale

Quote from: Sam Llorca on February 22, 2016, 10:19:40 AM
I agree with all of you guys ideas, 3 years ago I had a bad incident in regards to my health, I was in intensive care for a whole week! and my family have no idea of what my sim is worth or what to do with it, but I know that if something ever happen to me, Bob, Trevor, Ray, John and Kyle would back my family up on what is needed to sale or donate my sim.

and I thank you guys for been there, honestly, is great to be able to count on a great group of guys like you.   

great topic!

We all feel that way too Sam.  Lots of close "FAMILY" in this hobby to rely on :)
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

RayS

Ray Sotkiewicz

727737Nut

Quote from: jackpilot on February 22, 2016, 09:04:12 AM

I agree with John, it is a good idea, but (big but)
As Trevor mentioned, the "value" of our sims is highly hypothetical.
All those who tried to sell learned the hard way that the value of  the investment is more like 25% capital and interest  included.
The most difficult part being to find someone interested, even at a fraction of the cost.
Full size Boeing/Airbus sims owners are a very small percentage of the "sim Community" and the majority of other would-be builders would love a full cockpit but
a) do not have the space needed
b) have rightfully no clue on how to fire it (and keep it running)
b) run away when they see 5 digits prices
b) think they can do it for peanuts out of  mdf/lexan/old keyboards

Far cry from an organized market.

I may be pessimistic but unfortunately this is what experience tends to prove.
Unless you have kids ready to take over, the  only advice I would give to lifespan-challenged pilots like "yours truly" is to know beforehand who would be interested in your sim (as a free gift mostly) whether it is a friend or a local flight school, and to let it know to whoever lives with you (wife, would-be wife, faithful dog, neighbor, pet monkey, ..etc)

Perfectly said Jack and agree 1000%..
Rob
737 Junkie

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate