Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:15:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
501 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 501
Total: 501

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cheap Temporary Simulator Seat Ideas

Started by mdavenport, March 09, 2016, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

Hi,

Im still flying the desk but am working my way to a Jetmax SSTD.  I've just received my Simujabs 737 yoke and am finding that my office 5 wheel castor chair isn't going to play nicely with the nicely painted metal base of the yoke.

In time I hope to buy a replica 737 cockpit seat but am holding for now given the price tag...

What could I replace the office chair with that is similar, suitable and close to that of an official seat?  If so can you give me some pointers how / where to get one...

The only other option is I borrow from the wife one of the kitchen chairs but that doesn't feel good enough...

All suggestions / links welcome.

Mark

jackpilot

DC9  seats come and go cheap ($100-200) on EBay.com
Problem for you is shipping cost.

They usually are cheap because they need some work on the base, even if it is an easy one.
Your best "cheapo" bet is finding a van seat in a junkyard because they have arm rests and can look very convincing.

You should be able to get one for peanuts.

Jack

Jack

blueskydriver

Hey Mark,

Why not build one or set out of wood? There is set of plans floating around on how too cut the wood pieces, and you wouldn't spend much money on them. Your wife could get you some 4 inch foam and fabric, then she could make you some cushions...

Does anyone else remember those seat plans and pics, I think they were made using MDF or thicker board?

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

tennyson

Hi Mark,
This guy sells seats, not sure what the price is, but he has all the resources there.

http://lnx.737homecockpit.com/wordpress/?page_id=3018&lang=it

Frank

jackpilot

Probably more work and time than expected for a "boxy "result, to say the least and be nice...
And even with a foam cushion, tell me about spending hours sitting  on a flat board
Just my 2¢

You should be able to source locally (auto junkyard) something like that:
[ebay]141925126461[/ebay]

Jack

KyleH

I second Jack's suggestion.
I use the middle row bucket seats out of a Windstar, and we've got seats out of a Mercury Mystique in the Piper.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

blueskydriver

In the past I have used van bucket seats that were actually pretty nice and I only paid $50 US for both of them together (already removed), so while agreeing with Jack, I suggest you look at the replica seats that Frank posted the link for or build them yourself if possible.

Depending on what the replicas costs, it would be nice to get them first, since they're pretty much like the real ones. The guy who sells them is in the UK (I believe), so that will save on shipping costs. Plus, if you start thinking about getting the real ones, they will cost anywhere between $2,500-$4,000 US for a pair and likely without rails (more so with J-rail type), and chances of getting them already in the UK are smaller then in the US; not saying it's harder, it's just in the US there is more of a market, but now you're back too large shipping costs.

Therefore, if have the time, build them yourself as that will get you started on doing some sort of building with your simulator, in addition it helps pass the time when you're waiting to save money to buy the next big piece. There is nothing worse then sitting there just looking at your "in-progress" sim, waiting too buy something, you must save up for; in other words, building the seats (costing about $100 and your time) yourself will help that and give you confidence about building. And, you can brag too other people about "hey, what do you think of my seats...I built them myself"!

Lastly, I mentioned asking your wife too help you for the main reason that getting into this hobby without her helping from the 1st day is going to eventually cause you to crash and burn...lol! Seriously, IMHO there are many stories of flight simulation causing a breakup and divorce just because the wife feels left out or you care more about your sim then her; thus, that is why you must convince her that this is something you dream about, but cannot live your dream without her help...

If she does help, you will then say "hey, what do you think of my seats...my wife and I built them ourselves"!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

mdavenport

All,

Many thanks for the advice, links and plans...

Not too sure which way I will go first - not that handy but for $100 I can afford to waste some time and wood trying build one... It doesn't actually look too complicated (famous last words)..

John, good advise on the wife... I wonder if she is any good with a saw!

Mark

mdavenport

Hi All,

I managed to get hold of a bucket gaming seat with a plinth for it to sit on but to be honest its really uncomfortable and whilst I was advised it was the correct height, I am really low down compared to my Simujabs yoke.

With this in mind I've gone back to my office chair for now but wondered what is the proper height of the base (bit where your bum goes on) of a proper 737 seat?

I have some plans and measurements of a 737 but they don't detail the seat height.

Hope you can help..

Thanks
Mark

jackpilot

There is no "height" as such , all depends on your own "size".
That's why it is adjustable

Jack

mdavenport

Thanks. Any guidance on the rough height for someone who is 168cm (5' 6)

Mark

andthiel

Hi Mark,

Cpt. Nick is offering an MD-80 seat (Ipeco) for $ 950.-, if you can live with an F/O seat.

Check with his website (oncealoft.com):

I bought two 737 seats (Weber) there some years ago. Top quality and all mechanical settings work flawlessly since then.

Cheers,

Andreas
Best, Andreas

mdavenport

Quote from: andthiel on April 16, 2016, 01:45:35 AM
Hi Mark,

Cpt. Nick is offering an MD-80 seat (Ipeco) for $ 950.-, if you can live with an F/O seat.

Check with his website (oncealoft.com):

I bought two 737 seats (Weber) there some years ago. Top quality and all mechanical settings work flawlessly since then.

Cheers,

Andreas

Thanks Andreas. Whilst it does sound temping a seat at the cost is lower down the priorities for me at the min. Im saving first for my SSTD.

If I could have acquired something similar like a van seat for $60 then I would go for it but that is why I'm trying to find the height range of them so I can get something close.

Regards
Mark

Bob Reed

Hi Mark. As Jack said it is all about your hight. Get the van seat and once you have your unit, you will build the correct hight into your seat with the base, I am getting ready to do this as well. In fact I may get the seats today. I will get them with the adjustment rails on them so the seats will adjust forwards and backwards.

andthiel

Where are you located, Mark?
Best, Andreas

mdavenport

I'm located in the UK. Do you know some nearby.

andthiel

You could try and ask Kenneth (k_mockford@yahoo.co.uk), I bought a 737 cockpit door from him last year.

Cheers,

Andreas
Best, Andreas

mdavenport

Quote from: Bob Reed on April 16, 2016, 05:11:17 AM
Hi Mark. As Jack said it is all about your hight. Get the van seat and once you have your unit, you will build the correct hight into your seat with the base, I am getting ready to do this as well. In fact I may get the seats today. I will get them with the adjustment rails on them so the seats will adjust forwards and backwards.

Where are you getting your seats from?

jackpilot

As said above check local auto junkyards / or classified for van seats and pick them up locally to avoid shipping
Get the rails which go with them , build a wooden base (box) to get the correct height and bingo, over, finished.
:D

Jack

Ed

Hello Fellow Simmers,

Firstly I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a question concerning van seats.

I have a line on two middle row bucket seats from a Ford Windstar. They are in quite good shape and I can get them both for 50 dollars. I would have to remove them myself, but I think they just come out with lever push action.

Anyways, why are van seats recommended, and in particular van seats from the Windstar?  The obvious reasons of course is comfort and adjustability, but apart from that is it mainly because of the arms on the seat. I'm also concerned that there is no slot for Yoke pullback. How do those with van seats get around that? If I slide the seat back to allow for yoke pullback, I may not be able to reach my pedals.  Appreciate your thoughts on this before I dole out 50 dollars .

Thanks,

Ed
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

KyleH

Why the Windstar?
Because my parents van had reached the end of its life, so I snagged the seats out of it.  ;)
It was from a '98 so only 1 of the seats had 2 arm-rests on it. Later years I believe had armrests on both sides of both seats.
Removal, was lifting the latch and pulling the seat out(as designed for easy removal). Then I just built a platform to accept the latch.

Van seats are recommended as they have a closer seating position to that of airliner seats than car seats. I'd also say they are easier to work with.

I don't have column yokes yet, so the cut-out isn't an issue for me.  We're also talking about in-expensive seats here. I'm pretty certain I've see some people modify van seats with a cut-out.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Joe Lavery

I'm sure Gwyn (Aerosim Solutions) did exactly that and published pictures of a couple of van seats. If I recall he then had then reupholstered professionally and they looked brilliant.

Drop him a mail and I'm sure he'll send you the details.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Ed

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Now I know the story behind the Windstar seats :)  The model I found does have both armrests and I hope it comes out the same way. The material is grey which is an added bonus. Going to try and pick them up this evening.

Joe, thanks for the input. I'll take a look around and see whats out there for modifying van seats.

All the best

Ed
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Ed

Hello Fellow Simmers,

Mark, not sure how far along you've got with your seating, but I've just installed a van seat into my cockpit, and I can tell you, it beats the kitchen chair hands down. All I need now is a butt kicker and perhaps an electric type device to raise and lower the seat a few inches.  These two seats cost 50 CAD from auto wrecking yard, a few dollars for mdf and castor wheels. Was my good luck that daughter in law offered to steam clean them. :)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate