Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 12:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
530 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 546
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

TV Screens for Visual

Started by Ed, June 06, 2017, 04:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me.

Sounds like you have been through a lot of the pain of getting this right and interesting to hear about how much better it is with one large over a 32".

Just out of interest how far away is the 60" from you when you are sat in the captains seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navymustang

Interesting use of the word "rotate". I would think what you really want to do is shift the eyepoint to the left of center by 2.5 feet.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Ed

Quote from: mdavenport on June 12, 2017, 10:25:19 PM

Sounds like you have been through a lot of the pain of getting this right and interesting to hear about how much better it is with one large over a 32".

Just out of interest how far away is the 60" from you when you are sat in the captains seat?

Hi Mark,

So many pros and cons to each type. Its a difficult decision. Myself, I have become  accustomed to the fine clarity of a monitor/TV. I think I would miss that. I dont have to deal with bulbs or heat, and 3 projectors ,software and screen would cost me a lot more than 5 60 inch TV's. And the deal breaker for projectors for me is that I still have a lot of stuff not backlit yet like my throttle for instance, so no need to have a darkened room with TVs. I wont have the huge display of a Projection system though. It all boils down to what fits the individual I  would say.

I'm away from home now so I can't give you an exact measurement. I can guestimate though. My chair allows for full movement of the yoke, fore and aft. So from sitting in my chair to the end of the MIP ..plus another 2  feet. Roughly 6 to 7 feet . Remember this is a rough guess. I will get you an accurate measurement when I get home. In several weeks :) This distance may change as well when I add more TV's.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Ed

Quote from: navymustang on June 13, 2017, 11:48:14 AM
Interesting use of the word "rotate". I would think what you really want to do is shift the eyepoint to the left of center by 2.5 feet.

Hi Jim,

Yes shifting the view is indeed what I think happens. I'm not at the sim right now and i've yet to shift a view but if my memory is working just a little bit, I remember seeing in the FLT file,  the value that you change  is called the 'rotational' value.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

mdavenport

Hi Ed

Thanks for getting back to me and your reasons for TVs seem to make sense.

Let me know the distance when you are back home.

Also I would be interested on which to model you have gone for as it will help me when looking at specifications / refresh rates etc.

Mark

mdavenport

Hi. a question for those with tv screens around 60".  A 60" screen is about 130cm wide approx. This is approx 20cm shorter than a MIP.

Do you find you need 5 screens to be able to get a good wrap around or if you only use 3 how what deg angle do you set them at and how far away from the MIP do they need to be ?

navymustang

I will start a new thread on multi-channel P3D v4 rather than continue to post here. I think it will allow others to track it easier.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Ed

Quote from: XOrionFE on June 10, 2017, 03:59:43 PM
The bases are just 2x6s on either side with a piece of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed on top.  Flang is bolted on the plywood.  You can see one in the photo attached.  Make sure to offset the flange to the back because weight will be leaning to front and you want more surface area to front for stability.  You could use smaller than 2x6 also.  Just need to clear bolts on bottom.   Keep in mind you will want it eventually to be able to fit under your platform because the two in the front corners end up being really close to the shell so the base needs to be able to go under the shelll floor.  Mine just barely make it.

Best regards
Scott

Hi Scott,

One more question concerning the base. Because yours have been tried and tested I'm keen to follow your measurements. What is the length and width of your base tops?

Ed

Quote from: mdavenport on June 12, 2017, 10:25:19 PM

From my eyes to the screen is currently 68 inches

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate