Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:35:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
466 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Yooooke!

Started by jackpilot, April 13, 2010, 10:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Got this today...Ebay deal at $200, just missing the trim switch cover.
Stick shaker included , have to make it work out of curiosty!
Cheers
JP

Jack

Bob Reed

WOW!! What a grab! The yoke is worth that.

ivar hestnes

Nice deal you got there Jack.

(Ivar trying to visualize how that would look on a motorized skateboard)  :P

jackpilot

What about keeping it tight between your knees and zoom down the street on rollerskates!

Ok More seriously:
The wiring is there but has been cut flush with the column.
To get at it I have to separate the column from the assembly.
Check the following pic , you can see screws,
Anyone knowing how to?

Jack

Garys

Hi Jack,

It would be easier to remove the yoke from the control head and work the wiring towards the bottom of the column as there should be about 4 inches of slack in the yoke so as not to strain the wiring when turning.

To remove the yoke is very simple. First remove the 3 screws from behind the yoke holding the clipboard to gain access to the nut and washer which holds the yoke onto the column with that allen key bolt you see at the back. As its a bevel gear setup I suggest making alignment marks on top of the gears before removing the yoke from the column to help in re aligning the yoke again on installation. Its easy to be a gear out and not have the yoke sit straight, but seeing as yours is cut at the bottom I dont think you would have that problem.

Gary

Aerosim Solutions

Hi Jack, what a bargain you got there, well done!

Roberto at www.throttletek.com would be able to supply you with a trim switch surround.

Cheers, Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

jackpilot

Thanks guys.
Putting things apart is always a plunge into unknown.
Appreciate the tips helping to avoid big mistakes.
It is always great fun to play with the real gizmos....
Ailerons will be easy to interface as the mechanism is there .Elevators will mean building a whole base with dampers....new project!!

Jack

jackpilot

My first idea was to resell the stick shaker.
No way José, I powered it with 12v only and the darn thing jarred my crowns!!!
Too much fun. I keep it.
Do you think I could find a relay triggered by a card output (to avoid setting up a complete IO relay card like the Phidgets or Sys Cards) ?

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

If the bird has a stall warning indicator you could take a feed off of that to power a relay for the shaker.

Of course, we all know we don't get ourselves into those kinds of situations where it would actually be needed...don't we.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

727737Nut

No we pilots don't but it sure is fun to scare people who are flying the sim. I used to tell them, pull the pwr back, pull back on the yoke, hold, hold it, hold it, BAM!  Scares'em to death, hilarious!
737 Junkie

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: jackpilot on April 13, 2010, 06:29:21 PM
Thanks guys.
Elevators will mean building a whole base with dampers....new project!!

Hi Jack, (transponder code 7500!!!)

Following up the well received generic TQ throttle base/potentiometer drive mechanism, I took on designing a yoke column pivot base with an incorporated geared potentiometer drive. The CNC drawings are all complete but I haven't had time to produce a unit to offer as a product yet. I should be able to produce unit within a week and I will announce it as an available product when it is complete. This should remove the headache of interfacing pitch on a yoke column for many builders and that is my plan for this product! Stay tuned!!!

Cheers, Gwyn
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

ian@737ng.co.uk

hey gwyn,
this new idea is interesting.   i'd like to see this.
and jack, if you dont manage to get a trim surround, let me know, i may be just be able to sort you out  ;D
rgds ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

jackpilot

Good idea Gwyn...My brain gears were already turning on that one.
The aileron tube inside the column is rotating nicely but nothing avail  for pitch of course.
Ian, Will keep U posted on that one . Very kind.
JP

Jack

fsaviator

Nice...

I got one too for about that price on ebay.  Same deal, it was cut off.  Not sure what the logic is there, and it's really a shame that whoever is taking these planes apart isn't taking the time to do it right.

I removed the column by unscrewing the three like-size screws that run around the post near the top.  The post then slides off leaving you with the yoke, the l-shaped piece the yoke is attached to, the down-shaft for the aileron and the cable.  It is interesting, but the cable is actually sheathed in a tube within the tube, which is attached to the inside of the post by the screws that run down the back.

I took the whole tube in to Lowe's (home improvement store) and had them match the paint.  I also had them tint a primer to match the green paint so I am priming everything with baby-poop green now.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

jackpilot

Thanks for the info
Primer: Dupli-color etching primer for Aluminum at a NAPA Store, $6.00 a Spray can and the color is the right yearchy  green,
JP

Jack

jackpilot

Need expert advice:
The yoke is in pretty good shape except 2 places.
The black finish is thick so what is the best filler to use before making a touch up on those areas?

Jack

Trevor Hale

I would suggest Bondo...  (Like for car repair).. sand and refinish if you need too.

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Steve A

If it were mine Jack and i was stripping it completely i would get it shotblasted and re-powder coated

Boeing Skunk Works

Powder coating is not the original finish on Boeing control yokes. The aluminum yoke is dipped in polyuerethane. Much like the same material bowling balls are made of on the outer surface.

Contact Nick at Airline Pilots Historical Society. He can have your yoke refinished by the same company that provides the service for Boeing.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Steve A

Thanks for the info, i wasn't sure if it would be possible to powder coat, the yokes are cast aluminium?  I remember whenever we had aluminium to coat at my old company we etched it and then stove enamel baked it, the finish is gorgeous and thick.

jackpilot

Here it is, in its new glory.
All restored and working .
After cleaning/ sanding/ body filling /sanding and priming....I painted the yoke with a satin finish to match my Ace Yoke...Ali would be proud of me!
The clip board is an Ace model too. fits perfectly on this real yoke, same holes.
You may compare with the original picture at the start of this thread.
Happy camper

Jack

727737Nut

Nice Job Jack!!   I missed out my yoke on ebay, i put the wrong price in esnipe. Duh! :-\
737 Junkie

mpl330

Nice work Jack - looks great  8)

Cheers
Mike

matta757

Looks great Jack! It also is a testament to the quality of the ACE 737 yoke, as it looks exactly the same!

Matt

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate