Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
483 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 483
Total: 483

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 Checkride Info

Started by MLeavy737, June 13, 2010, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hi all,
  For anyone looking to get an idea of what goes on in a typical 737 recurrent checkride, I added a file in the downloads section. (Should be approved shortly).

The info is put together by line pilots and is what we call gouge. As we take our checkrides we all kinda pool info and pass it around to help others.  This is the current info for this years checkride  being passed around. (I have my ride next month  ::) )

I thought i read some posts from a few people talking about all the crap that gets thrown at airline pilots on these checkrides. Take a look at this file and you'll kinda get an idea. For anyone with 737 .pdf flight manuals out there, cross-reference this gouge with the manual and it will all make sense.

Mike Leavy

The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Boeing Skunk Works

Although it doesn't apply to my aircraft, I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks for uploading it.

Still not there yet.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

MLeavy737

File is up guys. Check it out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike Leavy

Boeing Skunk Works

Oh my God, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with an FMS. I would be pulling my hair out. When do you find time to actually fly the aircraft?

Thanks for the look inside. It was an interesting read, but it's not for this old school boy.

ian@737ng.co.uk

hello mike.........
thanks for this.  i really enjoyed reading it and it taught me some too  ;D
you have a great day and good luck for next year
best regards ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

bussgarfield

There, and I thought it was simply a case of turning the key and shoving it into gear !!!!!!

Thanks Mike. A very interesting and en-lightening read. I hope that some day I will understand it !!!!!

I really do take my hat off to you 'real' pilots. It is precisely this sort of skill level that many of us, I am sure, would love to be able to reach (one day).

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

MLeavy737

No problem. figured everyone would get a kick out it.

Also i figured it may clear up some misconceptions about these checkrides and help some simbuilders with their procedures. Some people think that these things consist of every type failure in the book plus some extras. My friends often think the examiners come up with all these scenarios to basically get you to crash.. things like having both engines on fire with a major flight control problem while maybe dealing with a passenger emergency and maybe having an APU blow up when trying to start it.. things like that. lol

If you notice these checkrides mainly deal with realistic scenarios.  The examiners want to make sure your flying by their book and doing things the way they want them done..  Basically making sure everyone is on the same page. The company knows you can fly an airplane, thats why they hired you.

For sim builders out there who want to get into procedures or really fly by the book i would suggest trying to download or get your hands on some type of airline flight manual. They basically have everything mapped out for you from the second you walk on the airplane. You should also find the callouts page and memorize them all.  Also look over the flight profiles page. Takeoff and landing, approaches.. all that. Fly it right down to the exact detail because thats the way its designed to work the best and be the most efficient.

one last tip.. If you really  want to look good on that youtube video you post, in the takeoff phase of flight when setting takeoff power, set the power, guard the power with one hand in case of a reject.. heres the look good tip.. At V1, get that hand OFF the thrust levers an on to the yoke! Your not going to abort a takeoff after V1 and your hand should be nowhere near the power!  I always watch videos and i see people leaving that hand there all the way from start right through climbout.. looks silly :)

Stay tuned for more look good tips :) lol

Mike Leavy

Boeing Skunk Works

I try for the same realism.

I have the POH for the 727 as well as the training material for new hires and transitional training. Just about every senario and sytem description and fuction you could have on this airplane.

Also included are the sample tests for each chapter. It was published by TWA sometime back in the mid-'70s'.

bussgarfield

Mike,

Thanks for the tips.
How often do I fly with my hand on the TQ ? - Every time. Never gave that a thought. Thanks.

Good tip about the manual too. It will give me something to read whilst sitting down with the sangria in the evening after a hard days slog building the workshop and numerous other DIY projects on the (her) list.

Keep the tips coming I am sure we could all benefit from them. - Now theres an idea for a new post !!!!!!

Nice one mate.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

bussgarfield

Being the skinflint that I am, does anyone know of a free download for the 737 flight manual.

Every site seach thus far requires a registration and then the wallet needs to be opened to gain access to downloads. If I have to pay then I will but .........

I don't mind paying for printer ink - really !!!!

Gary

Gary Buss

Boeing Skunk Works

If you are serious about your flying you owe it to yourself to purchase a real POH. It's already tabbed for quick reference all divided up nice and neat and includes the performance charts.

By the time you've bought enough ink cartridges to print out a manual of this size you could have bought one on e-Bay or from Esso.

Use the crowbar.

Joe Lavery

Gary,

Check out the download section of MyCockpit.org.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi gary..........
i've got the POH and a QRH for the NG.  also a training 'booklet' for the same aircraft.
drop me an email and i'll send you the links.
rgds ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

bussgarfield

Crowbar's at the ready !!!!!

Thanks for the info Joe. Logged on and registered now. I will have a look through their download section and see what I can find.

Ian - thanks, an email has been sent to you.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Buss

bussgarfield

Thanks Ian.

Crowbar has be hung up again.

Lots of reading to do now but I can see that Mikes check list will make more sense when I have finished.

Gary
Gary Buss

MLeavy737

Quote from: bussgarfield on June 19, 2010, 09:23:11 PM
Thanks Ian.

Crowbar has be hung up again.

Lots of reading to do now but I can see that Mikes check list will make more sense when I have finished.

Gary

Gary,
Feel free to ask ask about anything you dont understand.. Some of that stuff is CAL specific so you may not find a particular procedure in a manual.

Mike Leavy

bussgarfield

Thanks Mike.

You guys are a caring bunch here.

I registered with another forum the other day in my search for manuals and guess what, one week on and there still is no welcome from anyone.

It is no wonder why the membership here is growing.

Thanks again
Gary
Gary Buss

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate