Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
447 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Can someone explain this graph to me please?

Started by matta757, June 25, 2010, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble deciphering some parts of the takeoff requirement graphs for the 757 provided on the Boeing website. My main confusion comes from the fact that I do not understand how to read the part about flaps. I understand that you take the weight on the X-axis, find the elevation of your departure airport and then follow the Y-axis to figure out the required runway, but how do those markings for flaps play into the equation?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/matta757/takeoff.jpg

If someone could PLEASE explain this graph to me, I would really, really appreciate it. Some of you seem much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

The less flap you use the longer the runway requirement for a given weight and density altitude.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

saabpilot

"Normal" T/O Flaps = 20
But with a combination of high runway altitude and heavy aicraft you have to reduce the flap setting in accordance with the markings on the graf.     
Example:  250000 LBS at a 2000 feet runway altitude = use Flap 15

Additional limiting factors are the fitted tyres which have their max tyre speeds limits and finally also max available break energy.
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

matta757

Quote from: saabpilot on June 26, 2010, 03:13:45 AM
"Normal" T/O Flaps = 20
But with a combination of high runway altitude and heavy aicraft you have to reduce the flap setting in accordance with the markings on the graf.     
Example:  250000 LBS at a 2000 feet runway altitude = use Flap 15

Additional limiting factors are the fitted tyres which have their max tyre speeds limits and finally also max available break energy.

OK, but how did you deduce that flaps 15 should be used? What on the graph indicates which flaps to use? Not all of the lines are labeled with flaps, and I guess that's where my confusion is coming from.

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

Each bump on each of the lines of the graph are for the flap settings. They only print the fact on one line. I find it much easier to use tables for performance data rather than graphs.

What flap setting you use will likely be determined by the FMC.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate