Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
101 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

6dof Platform Test Flight

Started by sagrada737, August 04, 2020, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Folks,

I would like to share a short video test flight from KSAN to KBUR.
As my 737 Sim Project is nearing its completion, I have been refining the motion cues on the 6dof Motion Platform, and I can report that the Motion Platform truly adds to the sense of flight immersion.  Also, in the last few months, I have been working on Flight Deck interior refinements to make the Sim look and feel like a real 737.  I am currently working to complete the Yokes/Control Columns and the Aft part of the Flight Deck to include the Circuit Breaker Panels all the way back to the cockpit door, with all the associated details.

Recently, I did some live stress testing of the Motion Platform using 300 lbs per seat, to include CA, FO, and two Observer Seats.  The results were successful, with the powerful Servo motors having no difficulty managing the increased loads.   Having the two Observer seats filled, moves the CG aft slightly, but that proved not to be an issue in terms of Motion Platform operation.  It will be fun to have four people in the cockpit during a flight. 

One thing I noticed during this testing, is that ventilation is an important factor in the Flight Deck.  This includes fresh air ventilation for the Observer locations as well.  An enclosed cockpit can become a bit stuffy without proper ventilation.

I have also been experimenting with my GOPRO Hero8 cameras, which I used to record this video.  Setting up for a video is more complex and time consuming than I thought it would be, not to mention the post editing of the video clips and sound to get to a finished video.   Anyway, this is my first video using this setup.  I hope to get better at making videos...

This test flight is from KSAN to KBUR using PilotEdge for ATC.
The intent of the video is to give you an idea of what the 6dof Motion Platform looks like in real-time operation.  It is truly difficult to communicate through a video the physical sense of motion that you get when flying the Sim when the Motion Platform is active.  After months of testing, my conclusion is that the Motion Platform was worth the design and construction effort and cost as an addition to my 737 Sim Project.

Here is the video...   I hope you enjoy taking a look at the 6dof Motion Platform operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBrC2T8u0yc&feature=youtu.be

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

FredK

That is truly one serious 737 build!

I am speechless!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

KyleH

Really nice Mike.
One thing I noticed was the platform didn't seem to tip back much for the feeling of acceleration when you set TOGA power on take off.
Is that feeling still there?

Glad to hear your working on yokes etc. Looked kinda funny with the detailed cockpit and all that motion platform hardware and being flown by a PC joystick.:)
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments Fred, Kyle...

Regarding the Platform acceleration during takeoff...  This is an area that is very challenging, due to the motion software I am using, and the related motion cue settings.  Basically, if I design the motion cue settings so that I get that "tilt" you spoke of, then other pitch related settings are affected.   It is common that a modification on one motion cue setting will affect other motion cue behavior.  Nonetheless, it is something I hope to further refine.

Another issue is that the Levers I am using have a limited throw distance, which means that I can only sustain acceleration for a very limited period of time.

All that said, when you are sitting in the cockpit during a takeoff, there is actually a slight bit of acceleration that can be felt.  This is quickly taken over by the acceleration of the aircraft as it picks up speed, which translates into the vibration you see during the takeoff roll, which is very much like the real 737 during the takeoff roll.

Regarding the Yokes and Control Columns.   Yeah...  I am getting tired of using the Joy Stick as well, and I agree that it is a bit weird looking in the video.  That said, I am currently working on the Yoke/Control Column systems, and hope to have them installed soon.   Lots to do, and only one of me...:-)

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Trevor Hale

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

gjha97

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate