Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
101 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Alaska Airlines N512AS 737-800

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

I pulled the entire window frame of the flight deck apart and rebuilt it since i wasn't pleased with the angles from the drawings i was working with.
After researching 737-800 pictures for 4 hours last night i finally had what I needed to make it right. The only thing that got my anger running tonight was that i ended up one 2x2 short of finishing the first officer side windows. Oh well, i smell a weekend ahead.

jackpilot

You might save inches at the top for projectors , does not have to be that high (inside). Unless you want the proper "outside" look.  ;)

Very nice work!!
Send me a mail address , I have some pics 4U
Jack

Jack

geneb

Why do I have this unshakable feeling that he was using that table top sander as a hand tool? :)

Great job!

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: jackpilot on May 04, 2012, 04:28:29 AM
You might save inches at the top for projectors , does not have to be that high (inside). Unless you want the proper "outside" look.  ;)

Very nice work!!
Send me a mail address , I have some pics 4U
Jack

Thanks for the kind words Jack :)
I want it all, including look and space for projectors so it will happen. The old sim pit will be taken apart at some point in the process and i will be changing up my workshop space to "custom fit" the garage for the whole darn package. Wifey is already shaking her head and counting the dollar bills :)
Any good recommendations on projectors? What are some of the things you guys have learned to keep an eye on with regards to the choice of projectors?

Jack you have pm.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: geneb on May 04, 2012, 05:14:18 AM
Why do I have this unshakable feeling that he was using that table top sander as a hand tool? :)

Great job!

g.

That is funny Gene :) Actually my friend is one of those great impulse purchases from Harbor Freight Tools, this time helping me with the final shaping of those rounded window angles on the rear side windows :)

hexpope

It's looking real good now. Great work indeed !

Flyboyandre

Alright, this is how she stands as we move on to the top module. Then we wrap the whole thing in wood. I am worn out. Maybe i need to listen to my wife and daughter's advice: you try to do too much in one session. Oh well, vodka here i come :)

geneb

That looks fantastic Andre!

g.

Trevor Hale

I think I just peed myself.  That is incredible.

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

geneb

I bet he's already sat a chair in there and made jet noises while the wife wasn't looking. :D

g.

Flyboyandre

Doesn't look like much has happened but now that I calculated the right curve for the roof spars it will go fast to finish the last 6. Starting to look like a plane.

XOrionFE

Wow, speechless...   It looks great and almost exactly like the FDS kit that I bought and built.  I cant believe you did this from scratch in so little time.

Nice work!

Scott

Flyboyandre

Quote from: XOrionFE on May 06, 2012, 04:30:19 AM
Wow, speechless...   It looks great and almost exactly like the FDS kit that I bought and built.  I cant believe you did this from scratch in so little time.

Nice work!

Scott

Thank you Scott. It's encouraging and motivating when professionals like you guys endorse the build. Yeah, the FDS item was one of my aides in the initial measuring and cutting. I didnt go buy new tools for this so the skill saw has gotten plenty of use so far. I think once the roof module is done things will cruise along a bit easier.
Hope to get the spars for that portion cut and mocked up today.

XOrionFE

Don't forget to frame in a space for the overheads before you throw a bunch of spars up there.   That is what I did for mine.  Made it much easier.

Flyboyandre

Very unhappy with my "progress" this weekend. I guess some family time is valuable at times.
My big plans of getting the upper module framed went????::)

Oh well, I got some stuff done. Took Jack's advice of reinforcing the main structure of the upper module to better handle the overhead weight. That was a quick install and I also got the back wall plates cut to fit. In theory, I should be making good progress during the evenings this coming week but I'm incredibly sore.

jackpilot

Have never seen a "built from scratch" shell go up so quickly and nicely!
Well done !
JP

Jack

Flyboyandre

Quote from: jackpilot on May 07, 2012, 01:17:11 PM
Have never seen a "built from scratch" shell go up so quickly and nicely!
Well done !
JP

I'm very determined Jack :) However, i'm in a bit of a ruth right now working with those darn arches of the roof. It's painful to be slowed down  ;D

jackpilot

This is carpentery at its best my friend.
Try to send the forces to the back wall, as the final back arch is the main factor for rigidity.

Jack

Flyboyandre

Slowly starting to look like a plane. It has become quite the sight for cars passing by.

geneb

It looks awesome Andre, good job!

Have you considered just hanging a banner over the garage that reads, "It's a flight simulator.  Quit bothering me." ? :D

g.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: geneb on May 09, 2012, 05:49:56 AM
It looks awesome Andre, good job!

Have you considered just hanging a banner over the garage that reads, "It's a flight simulator.  Quit bothering me." ? :D

g.

Lmao

MLeavy737

That looks awesome!

I remember my first wood shell, i put up a few sticks then sold it!!

Nice Work!

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Flyboyandre

I hurt like a SOB. Only 3 more formers to go. Seriously, there have been moments where I thought to myself "wouldn't it be cool with the first ever convertible 737?". I just can't seem to picture that in my mind.
The build has some imperfections here and there but i'm pleased overall. Nothing that wont Be covered during the skinning process.
Amidst all the good news, i lost a dear friend tonight. My ever so faithful skillsaw said f u and decided to leave this world. Well, i make new friends very easily so it gives me an excuse to visit the tool department at Home Depot after my grieving process is over :)

Efe

Gene I think he wants to attract less attention, not have all the neighborhood men in a half circle around his garage door watching :)

Flyboyandre

Quote from: Efe on May 09, 2012, 09:53:59 PM
Gene I think he wants to attract less attention, not have all the neighborhood men in a half circle around his garage door watching :)

Lol, you're making a good point there.
Unfortunately Gene knows the proximity between the houses in my community so it's near impossible to avoid the swiveling heads. Today i was approached by the fed ex guy (who delivered my new guitar), the Scott's guy wanting to sell me lawn services (my lawn is just fine thank you very much!), the pizza hut guy who delivered my dinner and believe it or not - a voice appeared out of the dark around 9pm, scaring the crap out of me. "Excuse me.........I see it looks like a plane. Is it going to be a bunk bed or something?" How the heck do you answer such a question?  :-\

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate