Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
132 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

what if it’s you?

Started by blueskydriver, March 10, 2020, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

With the "whatever ailment" being the biggest thing in the world right now, I am wondering how many builders here have a plan for the "what if it's you?"

Let me explain, many many years ago I had a thread on the subject of being a builder or simulator owner, and what if you suddenly passed away. Then, what would happen afterwards, who will be there to help your spouse/family members to figure out what too do with your items.

You might say "Yep, I got a WILL already", but does it define and value everything relating to the simulator? If you have one great, but if you don't, now would be a good time to somewhat list/itemize it all. Another method is to make a short overview video of you going through everything, explaining what's what; thus, it'll be there for those folks you leave behind.

Additionally, you might want to workout something with a fellow member here on Cockpit Builders just as a plan B. In my case, I asked Trevor and Sam back then to help Karen with my items should something happen to myself. They both happily said YES! they certainly would. And, I know without even asking again that they'll still be here for her should the worst happen.

Lastly, with "whatever ailment" being a reality and me being in the high preexisting health conditions category, I want too make sure my butt is covered. Or, should I say making sure my Final Pre-Flight Checklist is done, if you get my meaning...lol!

Kind Regards,

John

PS If anyone wants me too be your plan B, just send a PM.  ;D
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FredK

What you are describing is my son's greatest fear....."Dad, what am I supposed to do with all this when you move on?"

But I agree there should really be some sort of plan, particularly if there is desire to recoup some investment.

In my case the sim is located in the basement of my home.  So it would either need to be disassembled and then reassembled (difficult, because it is mostly home constructed), or would need to be parsed out for parts which would be more likely.  So the important thing here is to make sure the really high value items are noted...for example, my converted 737 TQ.  Those of us that have skid-loaded sims located in garages etc. have an advantage since dismantling would not be required.

There is also the option of donation.  For example, the local high school aviation education program in my area would love to have it. The problem however is that they would have to learn how to run and maintain it. I have initiated some thought about getting involved with that program with regards to all that.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Guys,  Although I am sure you have good Intentions.......  The Flu Kills more people each year then this crap does.  The media does nothing but blow things WAAAAY out of proportion. We now live in a world that "instilling Fear in people" is a way to sell advertising and fuel the media garbage. 

The fact is, most people that get sick don't know the difference between this and the common cold.  I mean really.

We get enough of this BS from the news outlets, do we really need it here too?
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Hey Trevor,

I edited my post to reflect "whatever ailment" that way this doesn't feed into any specific view. Thus, this is just about having plans in the event something happens for whatever the reason....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trevor Hale

Much appreciated.  Don't get me wrong, I understand what you were talking about, but just sick of hearing all this and feeding off the media BS.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bernard S

depends on what your sim is .. if its real money  then estate planning is just part of being adult

FredK

Interesting regarding perspective.....My comment responses were totally independent of the Corona virus news.....Really did not even think about John's message in that context.

The thing is when you get to 70+ years of age the light at the end of the tunnel does become clearly visible, and one need to be serious about accepting that reality and planning relative to it as Bernard suggests.

That said...I do agree strongly with Trev that all irrelevant news and political comments should absolutely stay out of this forum!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

Has to be winter blues...
Hey Guys...spring's around the corner

Being at the end of the evolution scale, Pilots never grow old....just get better at it!

Jack

simlady/ Karen

I had to jump in here on this one.  If something ever happened to John, I would have to bury him in the sim with a smile on his face and a can of Mt.Dew in the cup holder. 

but all joking aside, I would, personally need help in identify all the things that are in totes, boxes and shoved on the shelves, I'm sure there are some, in his man "shed" regarding flight simulator stuff. So we talk about Plan B all the time, not because we think it's going to happen soon, but because of the surgeries that John does goes through.

So, having a Plan B is always good. 

I do have a Plan C... I'll put an add in the paper that reads, "Looking for a Man who has a nice Truck, can wash and wax vehicles and Blah...blah..blah.. But Please send picture of Truck"  ;D

Mach7

i think the better question would be what to do with your sim when you to leave your home, planned or otherwise.

I have always wondered what I would do with mine as it cannot be moved without a major rework, and I doubt if my next living quarters will even have the room for it.

So...do you sell the house with an elevated price to include the sim ? or do you remove your liability and either destroy it or sell it out for parts?

Everyone on the forum at one point will have to make this decision.

blueskydriver

OMG! Plan C?! Well, Karen just solved it for all of us...RTFLOL!

John

RayS

My wife and I just finished our wills a few weeks ago and there is a provision in mine to have someone take care of everything in my hangar. If I go first I don't want Andrea agonizing over all the crap in the garage.
Ray Sotkiewicz

kattz

John, this thought plagues me every day...

Kev

blueskydriver

Hey Kevin,

This is understandable with everything you're going through right now; however, the simplest thing you can do is make a video of yourself going over your simulator items. Explain what is what, and you're wishes for everything.

If you hope it sells, then say what you think it might be worth for individual parts or sections.

Doing this in a video does two things. One, it helps people who don't understand the value in flight simulation. And two, it's a video of you for those left behind to watch. Spouse, kids, grandkids all get too see what your passion is/was. Who knows; maybe, one of them might pick up the mantle....

John

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate