Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
520 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 547
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 520
Total: 520

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My real 737 Throttle Conversion Pictures and Videos

Started by XOrionFE, March 12, 2012, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Hello all,

Finally getting started converting my real TQ.    I have posted a ton of pictures in the Media area on this site so just look in my album.    I believe my TQ is from a Lufthansa 737-500.     I know it if from Lufthansa because the 3 bay pedestal also has a little floppy disk box in it and when I opened it I found all the FMC program floppys from Lufthansa.   They say the data is for the 737-300 and 737-500.   My TQ was built in 1991 according to the markings stamped on it.   Anyway, I had journeyed out to Rob's (727737Nut)s house a few months back to see what he was doing with the conversion we all saw him post here.   He was very helpful in allowing me to take pictures, answer my questions and help me with a shopping list for parts.   He also had some spare odds and ends I bought directly from him.     Anyway, I am finally getting down to business.    My TQ was already pretty clean compared to others I have seen.   You can see in the gallery how it progressed as I dismantled the top covers and blew everything out with a compressor and then with a little extra work with a spare toothbrush I was really able to clean it up nicely without dismantling the whole thing.   Anyway, I also made a short video to show off the inner workings.  I have always been fascinated by how things are engineered and this TQ is quite marvelous to look at inside.  For those who have never seen the guts of one up close and personal I hope you will like the video.   Again, look in the gallery here on CB for my progress pictures.

Best regards,
Scott

http://youtu.be/Z-u2Awp-13o

jackpilot

Jack

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on March 12, 2012, 04:44:04 PM
Happy Camper ?
I suppose so. ;D
Jack

Absolutely.  ;D ;D ;D

Now that said Jack...it would be really cool if you could bring your homemade TQ for show and tell at the get together.   I would love to see it first hand!

Scott

hexpope

Very nice work, actually it looks like alot of work converting a real TQ to operate to the same simulated TQ with every function.

727737Nut

Quote from: hexpope on March 14, 2012, 04:19:43 AM
Very nice work, actually it looks like alot of work converting a real TQ to operate to the same simulated TQ with every function.
True but in the end you have a component that will last forever versus a 'toy' that will wear out and or break eventually.  Trust me, there is nothing comparble to the real deal in feel and durability.  Plus the aftermarket toy repro's are 2 to as much as 5 times the cost of a real TQ plus conversion parts. 
Just my .02 :) 

Call me anytime you need help or have questions Scott
737 Junkie

bussgarfield

Thanks for taking the time to do the video Scott.
Very informative and for the likes of people like me that will probably never get to own one, a good insight into how the real one operates.

Good luck with your conversion and please keep us updated as to the progress.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

jetpilot

Hey Scott,
Waiting on the next TQ conversion update. I am amazed how clean was your throttle.
Keep up the good work
Roberto C

Flying_Fox

Hey Scott - your TQ looks really great too. I still don't have mine yet - it's being interfaced and there are some delays with that as I understand. Hope it is resolved soon(er).   :'(

Nick

XOrionFE

Quote from: Flying_Fox on March 20, 2012, 07:12:43 PM
Hey Scott - your TQ looks really great too. I still don't have mine yet - it's being interfaced and there are some delays with that as I understand. Hope it is resolved soon(er).   :'(

Nick

That is the tough part I think. I have Phidgets cards I am planning to use on mine but may need to get another motor controller card yet.   Rob told me about a new board Tyler is producing that I think he was planning to use on yours so I may look into that as well as another option.   I think hooking up everything to the motors and such is the easier part but interfacing and getting it all working with the software is probably the more challenging part.  When I saw yours at robs it looked pretty much done except for the interface card.   I have to reach out to Tyler to find out more about this wonder board.

scott

Flying_Fox

Yes, Tyler is planning to come down to Rob's (soon?  ::) with that new board/software to test on my TQ. Then keep it as a  configured test sample and order the actual board for mine.

Nick

XOrionFE

Well, making progress on motorizing my TQ.   Here is a new video link with an update:

Scott

http://youtu.be/zudKaqFBl2s

fordgt40

Thanks Scott, it is looking good and nice to see how a real one works :) Much more solid than my conversion!
See you at FDS

Regards

David

Flying_Fox

Thanks Scott for the excellent video1 We are at the same page now  ;)

Talk to you at FDS tomorrow.  :cheers: 

Nick

rawat

Hi Scott
for the throttle levers
can you give me the reference of the parts you use with the gear motor ( I use the same) and where i can buy them?

thank you
rakouth

quid246

Polyclutch, used to be A&A Manufacturing, but I think they got bought up.

mickc

These clutches are normally over $200 a piece, but there is an Ebay seller who has them at $25 each at the moment.   I got 4 of them from him earlier this year and can recommend the seller.  they are listed here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNATECT-POLYCLUTCH-SLIP-EASE-EAS-16-MECHANICAL-SLIP-CLUTCH-ADJUSTABLE-/301867246746?hash=item4648b0a49a:g:-HoAAOSwezVWt1V-

rawat

Mickc thank you for the link
which hub sprockets (roue dentée) do you recommend?
reference appreciate... 8)

regards
rakouth

mickc

I got mine locally, they are called plate sprockets, and the size is 06A19 which you should be able to get anywhere.   I use the same chain for that throttles as is used on the trim drive sprocket, so I only have one type of chain.  This is number 35 roller chain, I used Tsubaki part number RS35-1-RP.

I had the sprocket bores machined out to be a press fit onto the clutch hub, and also use a bearing & shaft opposite the sprocket as once the chains /cables are tight there is quite a lot of side loading on the clutch that will quickly reduce its working life.

rawat

Hi Mickc
for gear motor power supply which the good choice 12v or 24v?
is one source power enough for both 2 motors
or one source for each over...
rakouth

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate