Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
472 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 472
Total: 472

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Dash 8 Throttle Dimensions

Started by Sam Franklin, October 15, 2013, 08:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Franklin

Hello!

I've searched and there seem to be a couple of Dash8 builders but I can't for the life of me find any dimensions!

Has anybody go anything?

Sam

Sam Franklin

Also, does somebody know what the control lock does on the Dash 8 throttle quadrant?

Mach7

sAM,

I will get you the dimensions for the quadrant  for you as i currently fly the Dash 8 for an airline, but give me some time to get them to you as I have to bring a tape measure with me to work:)

Also, the control lock on the Dash 8 locks the ailerons and elevator at source...that is to say it mechanically locks the controls from the flight deck (as if you were physically holding them in place), unlike some other aircraft where they restrain them at the actual surface using a gust damper system etc.

The control design also prevents the pilot from advancing the throttles past a certain angle if inadvertantly left in the "locked" position. This is done thru the design of the handle.

-Jim

Sam Franklin

That's brilliant Mach, thanks! PM or just reply here with the info; it will be greatly appreciated!

Sam

Sam Franklin

Another question Mach; do the throttles and prop levers have gates? i.e. it locks at idle, max etc?

Mach7

Sam, yes both the power levers and the condition levers have gates. The power levers have pull up triggers to allow them to bemoved aftto the propeller discand reverse range. The prop levers havemin rpm and max rpm settings and have tl be lifted and  pulled  aft to start  feather   and  lifted and  selected aft  again for  fuel  off.

Sorry for  the  typos  but  just  getting  used  to this  ipad.

Mach7

Sam,

here are some of the dimensions you were looking for, i am assuming you just wanted the throttle quadrant as your post suggests...but let me know if you require something else.

with respect to the center pedestal, starting form the front working back from the center engine panel, this forward portion of the center panel measures 13 3/4 inches by 12 1/4 inches. This area would hold the FMS and weather radar etc.

The throttle quadrant is next and measures 17 1/2 inches in width from trim wheel to trim wheel. The inside diameter (inside the trim wheels) measure 15 1/2 inches.

The trim wheels themselves have a diameter of 10 1/2 inches and the throttle quadrant is shaped like a barrel and it's diameter is smaller at approximatley 10 inches.

The aft portion of the center pedestal (behind the throttle quadrant) measures 15 1/2 inches in width by 12 inches in length.

I forgot to get an accurate measurment of height , but will forward that to you when I get the chance.

With respect to the throttle quadrant parking brake, power lever, condition levers, and flap postions....starting from the left side of the  quadrant as a reference (excluding the trim wheel) the parking brake lever is situated at 2 1/2 inches in, power lever #1 is situated at 6 inches, power lever #2 is situated at 8 1/2 inches, condition levers #1 is at 10 1/4, condition lever # 2 is at 12 1/4  inches and the flap selector lever is at 13 3/4 inches.

I also have some pictures so I will either put them here or PM you with them.

-Jim

Sam Franklin

That was very helpful, thank you!

I will let you know if the Dash 8 is my final decision: I've been collecting various materials etc. for months and I am finally ready to just about start construction but I'm torn between two aircraft, Embraer 190 and the Dash 8 - I'm worried about getting used to a turboprop. If you have some time, how does a turboprop work if that's not a silly question!?

Many thanks,

Sam

Mach7

A dash 8, or any turboprop for that matter would be a difficult build for anyone, even if someone had a basic working knowledge of propellers and turbine engines.

A turboprop is more complicated form a power point of view as you have twice as many levers to control not only the engine, but also the propellers, therefore the build would be, IMO complicated.

I would suggest building a jet if that is the direction you are going. There are a lot of parts for 737 and most simulator shops specialize in this area (737 type).

Sam Franklin

I know I shouldn't reply to this topic but I thought I'd give an update.

I moved towards a B738 but recently I bought the MJC Dash 8 Q400 and I have fallen in love. I really enjoy flying this aircraft so I think this may be what I start to build. I'm only going to build a few bits i.e. the TQ and commonly used pieces. I wanted to know if there's a way to use a joystick to control the two condition levers? Can they be assigned to an axis?

Sam

Sam Franklin

Hi Jim!

I was just wondering if you had those pictures for me?

Thanks for all your help!

Sam

gattg

Hi Sam

I'm in the process of building a TQ and rudder trim for the MJC Q400. I built one for the old 300 a few years back from three joysticks giving six axes. Very easy to assign to individual levers (I use FSUIPC and the config tool) and the results are excellent and enhance the sim no end - But its time for a new one and I want to make it as close as possible to the real thing.

Currently in the process of producing drawings and these measurements are just what I was after too (Thanks Jim  ;D I'd love to see the photos too, please!). I can forward what I have so far to you if it would help!

ATB

Rob

Mach7

Sorry for the late reply guys....when Sam announced he was building a 737 rather than a dash 8, I deleted all the pics with dimensions.

gattg and sam, if you are still interested I can try and forward some more.

Sam Franklin

I'm really sorry to mess you about Mach. With such little support for the Dash 8 I was finding it difficult. I'd love to build one, but I'm struggling with interfacing it. I'd really appreciate the pictures though, if it's not too much trouble...

Thanks a billion!

trudelking

Hi everybody,

has anyone gotten any further with dimensions?
I started to design a throttle Quadrant but some still need dimensions . Would anyone be able to give me information for the dimensions in the attached drawings?

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate