Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:50:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
272 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 277
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 272
Total: 272

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

waypoints vanishing from the CDU route

Started by scojj, September 05, 2015, 12:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scojj

Something strange that I noticed is that this particular line in the pfd.ini file containing "AircraftType=..." automatically resets to "AircraftType=b737-800" where it should be "AircraftType=CDU" and has been fixed to it.

That's the heart of the problem for sure.
But why ?

I can observe that each time after a flight when the problem occurs with the waypoints, the line is automatically changed  in the pfd.ini file.

Also "B737-800" doesn't refer to such an existing file in the pfd folder.

scojj

Well gents, here is an update...

I did a complete cleanup of my PC.
Removed a HDD that was not concerned by PM and the system but was declared as failing by the BIOS test.
Made a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and all the PM suite, with the latests setups and updates.
Carefully set the ini files of the PM softwares.

And still the same problem...

So I have not reached the heart of it...

blueskydriver

Try going into your main PM folders and FS folders (the root folders) and sitting up shares for "Everyone". Make sure you do the same for the security. If you don't see an "Eveyone" you will have too add it manually, and then check read write access...

I am guessing that it's a sharing issue. You reinstalled everything, it worked and quit later on. When I switched from Win XP to Win 7 I had similar issues of folders not connecting. That could also explain the FSPath failure on the first line. So, it could be that Win 7 updates was the problem, did you have Win 7 updates turned on before and after the reinstall?

Finally, one other thing I noticed, you're naming folders with a dash - in between words...like Glass-PC. Don't use dashes, use underlines like Glass_PC or no underllnes or spaces at all. PM was written at a time when naming conventions mattered and dashes were a big red flag. It might not matter, but I stick with old methods because they work and Win Any Version is nothing more then a super Win DOS (where naming conventions got started) operating system with a hyped up GUI (graphical user interface).

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trevor Hale

Same thing I suggested. It has to be an issue like that.

Scott, I thought you posted this was fixed? I am sure you found it already.

Or was I dreaming?

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Bob Reed

Going down to the sim today. I am sure I am not having this issue bit I will report on what I find.

scojj

Thank you all for your help and comments.

To resume :

It worked again one time, when I corrected the pfd.ini line and then occured again.

I reinstalled Windows 7 and the PM softwares (with the latest setup and updates) from scratch, carefully checking the sharing of the folders and the .ini files. PMfilecheck was ok.
I checked that I can access the shared folders from a remote computer and modify their content.

All seems correct, I have checked once again befaore answering right now.

But the problem still occurs.

I just have disabled the UAC on the PM PC right now, and will try once again...

Bob Reed

I just completed the first flight since I have been home and have no such issues. This has got to be either a sharing issue or a settings issue....

scojj

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your kind help.

I'm sur this has to be related to a sharing or setting issue, but I checked, re-checked and re-re-checked everything.
After disabling the UAC nothing changed.

Typically, during the initial climb, at 2000 feet or so, exactly when I hit the N1 button on the MCP, the waypoints vanish in the CDU (LEGS page)...

Here is what you have to know about my config :

-The main PC is W10 (but the problem occured with W7) and I use P3DV2.

-The remote PC is the one where PM softwares are installed, along with the hardware : CPFlight MCP-Pro with one EFIS-Pro and a complete pedestal.
And also a FDS CDU.
This worked fine some months ago.

I made several trials and errors to try to find the matter of the problem.

- updated the firmware of the CPFlight MCP to be sure. No result.
- updated the FDS software (FDS controler) but no result.
- checked a multiple times the CDU.ini and pfd.ini files : the only thing I found were that in the CDU.ini file the NetDir folder is referred as "netdir" whereas it is "NetDir".

Also in the pfd.ini file the lline "Type" is set to "CDU" and the AircrfatType line automatically sets to "b737-800" even when I leave it blnak as recommended in the PM user's guide. I don't know if this means something.

- i tried to unplug the CPFlight hardware in case the problem would be an interaction with it. No result : when I click N1 in the MCP PM window, the waypoint disappear...

- I looked inside the CDU pages as displayed in the PM CDU and here is what I saw.

In the main menu you can choose MAINT and then NETDIR. I had this display :

NETDIR SETUP

E:\CDU\NETDIR\         
<USE CDU.INI NETDIR         LSK1

CREATE ON FS PC>              RSK2

GLASS-PC
<LOCAL COMPUTER            LSK3

<USE C: PATH                    LSK4
CURRENT NETDIR
E:\CDU\NETDIR\            LSK5

In my setup the PM sotwares are installed on the E:\ HDD.

So the line "E:\CDU\NETDIR\" is right.
But if I choose LOCAL COMPUTER at LSK3, the display at "current netdir" becomes "\\GLASS-PC\C\CDU\NETDIR" WHICH IS WRONG !!!!
If I choose USE C: PATH at LSK4 the display at "current netdir" becomes "E:\CDU\NETDIR\"

Anyway I read in the PM user's manual that the reference to the NetDir folder should be as "\\Computer Name\NetDir"
Any other local reference would be wrong.

The MAIN problem is that in the lines above, the reference is WRONG because it should be "\\GLASS-PC\NETDIR" and not "GLASS-PC\C\CDU\NETDIR"

So probably this can be the main problem, but I don't know how to find the solution.
Please remember that all seems to be good in the .ini files...

blueskydriver

First, please post a copy of your PFD.ini, CDU.ini and MCP.ini text files or if you prefer send me your email address in a private message and I will send you my email address back. Then, you can email me copies of your files too review.

What is the port id number that the MCP is given after you plug it into the remote PC (that is where you plugged it in correct)?

Is your hardware directly plugged into the computer USB ports or are you using a hub? What type of ports are you using, are they USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0...the same for the hub, what USB port type is it?

Next, unplug the CPFlight MCP unit from the computer, and then just use the onscreen display version of the PM MCP. Do as you normally would and engage N1 at 2000 feet using your mouse to select the N1 button. What happens? If the CDU LEGS stay as the should, it is an MCP problem.

If just removing the CPFlight MCP unit doesn't fix it, unplug all hardware from the PM remote pc and just use the PM software onscreen displays only, if the legs stay as they should, then you add one piece of hardware at time too see what happens.

Next, rename your remote computer in windows to something like PMREMOTEPC and that's it. Then make sure that is what FSUIPC and WideFS see. Which version of FSUIPC and WideFS are you using? Did you update those programs recently prior too all of this problem starting? Did you go into those programs and set them up too use names or ip address. Did you make a dedicated ip address for both your W10 and your PM machine or are you using DHCP mode. It's better too make dedicated ip addresses.

Do you use Skype? If so, let me know how too contact you in the private message...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

scojj

Hi John,

Thank you for your help and review.

I joined a copy of the CDU, MCP and PFD .ini files for your review. They are all in a .rar file for complying with the forum rules for attached files.

You're right, the MCP is plugged to the remote PC, at COM port 4.

I don't use any hub, all hardware modules are connected to USB ports that are 2.0. (they only need 2 ports)

I did the test that you suggested : unplug all hardware and launch a flight only with the onscreen PM software. I had the same problem : when clicking on the "N1" button during the initial climb, all waypoints vanished in the CDU and PFD.

My PC are not with fixed IP adresses, the router is running rather in DHCP mode. I'll try to enter it's configuration and get fixed IP adresses.

I will also try to rename the remote PC with a simpler name (excluding the "-" sign).

I use FSUIPC (registered) ver 4.943, which is not strictly the latest one but a very recent one.

I use WideFS ver 6.9.9.9 which is the latest one.

Thank you again for your kind help.  :)

PS : I have skype but if I can write in english, I cannot speak fluently... so I'm ashamed .... :(

scojj

A little update :

I change the computers' names to "FSPC" (for the server) and "GlassPC" (for the remote PC).

That didn't solve the issue.

RayS

Quote from: scojj on November 16, 2015, 08:50:23 AM

My PC are not with fixed IP adresses, the router is running rather in DHCP mode. I'll try to enter it's configuration and get fixed IP adresses.

That might be your problem right there. Try and get those PCs all using a static IP address and make sure your configs across the board all use those new IPs. Also make sure they are all on the same subnet. I recall a conversation years ago with Peter Dowson that weird things can happen if all the PCs aren't on the same subnet.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Bob Reed

So I believe you said this all started before an update? Have you tried going back a couple of versions with the PM software to see what happens? This is very strange behavior indeed and I am as stumped as you are. When you did your clean install, did you do the Windows updates before you installed PM and tried the flight? There is something at the very basic settings we are missing here. Be it PM, FSUIPC or Windows.

scojj

Hi Ray and Bob,

I changed the IP addresses configuration of my PCs (with fixed IP on the router).

If I'm right, the only line to change is in the WideFs.ini file, is that right ?

Well, that didn't prevent the same problem to occur.

I will try two last things :

- setting the NetDir= line in the CDU.ini file from "\\Glasspc\NetDir" but to "E:\CDU\NetDir".

and if there is no result with it,

- try to install an old version from 2013 of the PM softwares.

The problem occured after an update during the 2015 year, I don't remember exactly when.

After that, I have no more idea of what to do.

I submited a ticket to the official PM site on september 15, had only 1 answer on october 7 (asking for the airport, SID, STAR, to reproduce the problem) and no later answer after that even if I posted some updates on the ticket ...

EDIT :

a trial after the change in the NetDir line in the CDU.ini file didn't change my problem.

I'm now uninstalling the actual version to reinstall the older (2013) version of the softwares.

By the way, the Windows update in Windows 7 is disabled...

Thank you again for your interrest in my problem and challenge ;)

blueskydriver

Hi JJ,

I did look over your .ini files and I just haven't had a chance to compare them with mine yet. However, here is your CDU.ini file below, please make the changes that I show by this text /CHANGE.

You can leave that line in there as it's just a way too make a note.

I think what happens in the updated version it auto creates the netdir by using the name \\Glass-PC\netdir where you named the remote computer GlassPC. It should read NetDir=\\GlassPC\netdir.

So, make sure you turn on the DisableAutoNetDir=On...

I also changed other items too do with Flushing the CDU. Did you change anything regarding IP address usage versus DHCP yet? I think with everything working before and then you did the PM update, it was the update that changed everything. Did you backup your .ini files before you did the updates? If so, please send me a copy of the ones that worked too compare.

As a way of not having this happen again, if you did not do backups before an update, you copy the folders and move them onto a backup drive somewhere. Do this for all your remote PM folders, your WideFS folder, and your entire FSX folder from that computer. This way you'll always have the files if things go crazy.

I really wish we could Skype as it's faster too tell you what to do over my one-finger typing on my ipad...lol. You are from Germany (sorry I forgot), but if so I might be able too understand "poor English". I was stationed in Germany for 3 years; although, my use of the German lanuage is really poor, but I can still make out a little or at least someone trying to speak English who is German.

Let us all know if you switched back too an older version or not. I rather you don't and we help you solve this issue with the updated PM files.

Best Regards,

John

[Project Magenta CDU]
Build#512

[Display]

Title=On
                              / Enables/Disables Title Bar.
WindowName=Project Magenta CDU - Build 512
                              / You can set the name in the Title
                              / Bar here.
Topmost=Off
                              / Will set the CDU program on top
                              / of any other window.
FSWindow=Off
FSFocus=Off
                              / Will try to be inside the FS window
                              / and give back the focus to FS after
                              / a key has been pressed
Minimize=Off
                              / Will minimize after initialization

[Network]

DisableAutoNetDir=On /CHANGE
                              / Automatically creates the netdir
                              / entry when enabled
NetDir=\\GLASSPC\netdir\   /CHANGE
                              / Sets the folder which shares data
                              / with the other programs
SBPPath=
                              / Fath to the folder in which Squawkbox
                              / flightplans are saved

[Flight]

LimitMCPSpeed=Off
AutoFlapRetract=Off
AutoFlapExtract=Off
                              / MCP Speed limits set by MCDU, flap
                              / retraction auto or manual
LowAlt=Off
                              / Also use Low Altitude Airways when
                              / autorouting

[User]
Printer=
PrinterMargin= 0
PrinterWidth= 0
PrinterFont=courier new
PrinterFontBold=Off
PrinterFontSize= 10
                              / Printer name to target print outputs,
                              / has to be set
                              / Current printer is:
                              / \\JJ500-PC\Brother HL-2030 series
LastBuild= 512
                              / Last version of the software run
                              / on this PC
DeleteCFPFiles=Off
                              / Automatically deletes binary CDU
                              / Flight Plan Files (.CFP files)
                              / when flight plans flushed and program
                              / exits.

[Hardware]
FSC1=
FSC2=
EngravityComm= 0
                              / Serial communication to Engravity
                              / CDU hardware
SFSComm=Off
                              / Simflight Studio Communication
                              / handling
EHIDComm=Off
EHIDPort=
                              / UDP communication to FMC hardware,
                              / do not set it to on if you do not
                              / have any such hardware connected
                              / This is for EHID Support
ElanComm= 0
                              / Serial communication to CDU hardware
                              / Logs flight path calculation.
Font=pmbcdu
FontNoSerif=Off
FontBold=Off
FontFactor= 1
                              / Font display parameters
UseOtherFont=
                              / Override Default Font (unsupported,
                              / use at your own discretion)
Text=colour
BackgroundBlue=On
                              / To set blue background in full
                              / text mode
PreFlight=Full
                              / Can be set to Off/On/Full which
                              / results in different handling of
                              / the CDU setup process. E.g speeds
                              / and weights are set automatically
                              / when this is off.
LastNavData=OCT15NOV11/15
NoSelPrompt=Off
                              / Disables RWY and CO RTE SEL prompts
RteSecond=Off   /CHANGE
                              / Route Legs not shown on first page
                              / when this is set to on
RteLNAVUpdate=Off
                              / Route is not updated when not in
                              / LNAV
NoAwyPrompt=Off
                              / Disables option to offer airway
                              / proposals for route page entries
SetIdent=Off
                              / Defaults to IDENT Page
Flush=Off
                              / Flushes data from the CDU on startup.
FlushOnLand=Off   /CHANGE
                              / Flushes data from the CDU when
                              / speed is below 60 knots
DescendNowNM= 50
                              / Distance from T/D at which DESCEND
                              / NOW is anunciated on the DES page
                              / (lower alt selected, VNAV)
Messages=Off
                              / Displays current messages in the
                              / Scratchpad.
NoCOMXPDR=Off
                              / Disables COM/XPDR display in the
                              / NAV RAD page
KeyboardLights=On
KeyboardLightsXP=On
                              / Lights keyboard lights when EXEC,
                              / MESS, FAIL light up
AutoKeyLayout=On
KeyLayout=N1
                              / Setting from MENU/DISPLAY where
                              / the type of keyboard layout is
                              / controlled
FixPages= 6  /CHANGE
                              / Max Number of Fix Pages 1-6
PageUpdate= .8
RemotePageUpdate= 1.1
                              / Sets the update frequency of the
                              / local and the remote CDU screen
RemoteKeyhandler=Off
                              / Allows to make inputs on the CDU
                              / for the RCDU
                              / Alt Key A-Z 0-9 . / + Del, Enter
                              / and Backspace
                              / Shift F1 to F12 LSK
                              / Ctrl F1 to F12 Command Buttons
                              / To exit you have to press Ctrl-Q
                              / when this is enabled
AutoILSLOC=Off
                              / Sets LOC CRS automatically
ShowFrqinRoute=On
                              / Displays frequency of VORs/NDBs
                              / on the LEGS page
CLBThrOAT=Off
                              / Uses OAT instead of TAT for the
                              / climb thrust calculation
PlanStep=Off
                              / Handles the scrolling of the LEGS
                              / page differently in PLAN mode
AutoGear=Off
                              / Auto Gear for Standalone version
DisableDoubleClick=Off
                              / disables minimizing upon mouse
                              / double click
NoOrigFlush=On   /CHANGE
                              / Does not Flush data when origin
                              / is entered
NoFSGWT=Off
                              / Does not display FS gross weight
                              / in the PERF INIT page [in brackets]
Case=Gray
Log=Off
                              / Logs flight path calculation/ CDU
                              / procedures
StrobeLights=Off
StrobeBacklight=Off
                              / Shift Register Light Handling Customizaition
ShowPreflightComplete=On
PresetPos=Off
                              / Loads Preset Position and writes
                              / it into simulator

[OpenGL]
                              / This section is for OpenGL settings
                              / and OpenGL Full Screen Display
UseOpenGL=On
                              / Will use OpenGL rather than normal
                              / windows text, 24 columns, 14 rows
FontSmoothViaPolygons=On
                              / When set to on, font smoothing
                              / for display is done via polygons,
                              / if off, via blended outlines
UseOpenGLFull=Off
                              / Bitmap-less full screen operation
SetOpenGLFull=On
                              / Will automatically Maximize screen
                              / for full screen operation
OpenGLFullX= 12
OpenGLFullY= 0
OpenGLFullZ= 0
OpenGLFullWidth= 0
OpenGLFullHeight=-3
OpenGLFullFontSize= 0
OpenGLFullSpacing= 0
OpenGLFullScratchPad= 0
OpenGLFullTitleText= 0
OpenGLFullRotate= 0

[Max]
Full=Off
                              / Full screen text activation and
                              / parameters
                              / To set, use MENU key (twice), DISPLAY,
                              / FULL SCREEN pages
FullTopmost=Off
FullNoFrame=Off
InvertFull=Off
ScreenTop= 0
ScreenLeft= 0
ScreenHeight= 5175
ScreenWidth= 9600
TextTop= 580
TextLeft= 360
TextWidth= 7018
TextOffset= 1110

[COMMAND Keyboard Codes]
                       //these are used *in addition* to the Ctrl-F1-F12 etc. commands
                       //for INIT/REF RTE ETC

Access=

[Key]=OEDBN
Key=QYXVD39

scojj

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your help.

(I'm from Belgium and my native language is french.).

Here is what I did from my last answer.

- change the IP adresses and get fixed IP adresses for both the server and remote PC. The only thing to change then is in the WideFS.ini file with the line "ServerIPAddress=...", right ?
That was not a solution to my problem.

- change the NetDir line in the CDU.ini file : I read again the user's guide from PM and saw that the reference to the NetDir folder is written as "E:\Data\" or "\\SERVER\C\", but not "E:\Data\NetDir" or "\\SERVER\C\NetDir".
I did this change but it was not a solution to my problem.

- revert back to a 4.92 version of the setup for CDU, PFD and MCP, which are from 2013, so 2 years ago.
That DID solve my problem !!!
I could make 3 flights without seeing the waypoints disappearing after engaging N1.

So my conclusion is that OBVIOUSLY the newer versions of the PM software induced that bug.

I will also try what you suggest with the newer version that I can easily reinstall.

Unfortunately I haven't kept any copy of older .ini files.

Thank you very much again for caring, paying attention and trying to add solutions to the problem.

Without this unofficial support forum, I woulld still be wihtout any help...

blueskydriver

Okay, I thought it was Germany...sorry about that.

So, the DisableAutoNetDir= is what I think is causing the problem in the updated versions. In your older versions it all works fine. Will you please look at your CDU.ini from your older, now working version, and see if it has the DisableAutoNetDir=off or is it on? Also, what does your NetDir= have now that it works? Will you please attach the same 3 .ini files of your working version; I want to compare them all..

As for your WideFS, yes it should be the ServerIPAddress= the ipaddress of the FSX computer or you can have both I think at the same time:

ServerIPAddress=
ServerName=

John

Bob Reed

Tonight or tomorrow night I will report what versions of the software I am running. I am not having the OP's issues. Glad it is working.

scojj

Hi Bob and John,

Sorry for the delay for answering, I've been very busy those last days.

So in both the non-working version (512) and the older but working version (492) the DisableAutoNetDir= is set to off.

I have attached the 3 ;ini files of the 492 (working) version, thank you for your work !

Bob, did you have the opportunity to check what version you are using ?

Best regards.

blueskydriver

Same here for me, been dealing with shed issues all week...

Anyway, just a quick glance and I see that your older CDU.ini ver 492, it has NETDIR=\\GLASSPC\netdir and in your new ver 512 it had NETDIR=\\GLASS-PC\netdir and that means there is difference in the way the DisableAutoNetDir is working.

When you say DisableAutoNetDir=no you're telling PM to use the AutoNetDir part, which basically makes the folder netdir (in a sense). And, when you say DisableAutoNetDir=yes you're telling PM to not use the AutoNetDir part.

The problem is when the DisableAutoNetDir=no (working) it is adding the dash. Here is why... You renamed the machine GlassPC and yet, your cdu.ini showed the dash was there again between Glass-PC. So, the real issue is Windows does not do dashes well or at all in networking naming conventions. I would guess that is why you kept having issues.

Still, the question is do you want to try again? If so, you could always setup two locations for your cdu folder; use one for the new version and one for the old version. What you do is have two folders on your remote pc and nane them CDU1 and CDU2, and then install your PM CDU base software into both. After that you do your updates in CDU1 to version 492, so you can still fly. In CDU2 folder, you add updates up to the newest version 512, so that you can try to get it to work or call it "testing"

Next, you must add two CDU exe icons on your desktop and name them CDU492 and CDU512 respectively. Just double click CDU492 icon when you want too do some flying and CDU512 icon only when you want too test 512 (not both at the sane time). The simplest way is to first go too CDU1 folder, find the CDU icon, right mouse click, select send to desktop. Now, go to that icon on the desktop and right mouse click it and select rename, and rename it too CDU492. After that do the same thing again, but go to CDU2 folder this time; also, change the desktop name too CDU512, so you will know which one is which later on.

As for the other aspects of PM, most times new versions will work with older version files, so as for PM PFD, PMSystems and etc, they can be the 492 versions while trying out CDU512; however, once you get the CDU side working in 512, you then switch the other programs up too version 512.

The point here is too only deal with one part of it at a time and since it's a CDU issue, that's how I would do it...

John

scojj

Thank you John !!!

Nice work and detailed analysis from you.

I had not catched the GLASSPC ou GLASS-PC line mismatch.
This was recent, from when I changed the computer's names to avoid the "-" in the name.
So it can explain recent failure but not the whole story, of course.

I will correct it and try again.

I can easily switch from 4.92 to 5.12 by erasing the folder's content and uncompressing there some .rar files containning the files related to one or the other version.

thanks again!

scojj

Hi John,

I checked the GLASSPC or GLASS-PC issue in the CDU.ini file.

In the actual .ini files from both versions the computer's name is correct, so I guess that I have sent you the .ini file related to the 512 version prior to changing the computer's name.

Yesterday evening I made a test (with the correct computer name on the CDU.ini file) but the problem still occured.

Bob Reed

I think I am running version 512. I will have to look a little later.

scojj

Thanks Bob,
As Shakespeare said, there must be something rotten in my PCs...

scojj

An important new for this topic : my support ticket at PM had an asnwer and after all this time a solution came with the 2016 march updates of the PM softs (cdu513d, gc513e and mcp513e).

So Idon't know what exactly was the problem, but the solution eventually came from PM and I thank them for that.

This can be important to know if someone had the same waypoint problem.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate