Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
460 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 460
Total: 460

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Simparts 737 Throttle build thread

Started by XOrionFE, February 05, 2010, 11:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Thought I would put up a little thread chronicalling the build of my Simparts.de 737 Throttle Kit.   I made the choice on Simparts primarily based on price for the kit and the fact that it is almost all metal (steel and aluminum).   I also like the idea of the kit because I could throw my own level of detail in it and also know how to replicate any broken parts down the road and be able to maintain it myself.   I will say that after the Revolution guys changed stuff out to metal parts I was a little jealous as that is one beautiful TQ.   I also think they are great communicators and very responsive to questions.    I will say that Jorg at Simparts has been really great as well.   The Simparts thottle does not appear to be fully to scale as the handle seem a little larger in scale when I compared to the Marcus measurements.    I believe Ivar has a Simparts throttle quad and pointed this out.    Other than that, this thing is built like a tank.   I was very surprised when I unpacked the parts to see the main part of the throttle handles was actually heavy gauge STEEL!   I was thinking it was going to be aluminum.  No messing around here folks.  These things are industrial strength and very heavy.   Many of the other parts are steel as well.     The Trim wheels and handle parts appear to be molded and the mold material doesnt seem to like paint too well.   My auto paint really bubbled at first but seems to be working after a little finesse.  I had used plastic adhesion promoter on the parts and this is probably some other type of epoxy resin based mold so probably better to use an epoxy based paint.   You also need some pinhole filler to clean up some areas.  That said, they are molded beautifully and I am really impressed with the quality and how parts fit together.   Well enough for now.  Here are some progress pictures.

Well, that is all for now.  I will keep adding to this post as I build and hopefully will help someone else out in the future that goes this route.

Regards,
Scott

jackpilot

Looking great Scott
(Much wiser than me, fabricating the parts!!!)
Pretty sure the end result will be terrific.

Jack

Trevor Hale

Awesome Scott..  I like seeing your progress.   Keep up the great work.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Here is the latest progress on the Simparts Throttle build.

Don Harrison (my co-pilot) is building this portion.   This is his handywork from last night.  Thanks Don!!

Full size pictures can be seen in my 737 photostream on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

Regards,
Scott

vcimmino

Fantastic Scott...!

I can remember when you choose the Simparts Throttle and the fears with shipping not arriving at destionation. I'm happy that you are progressing with assembling and you found a copilot too!!! :-)

Trevor Hale

I have to agree..  This throttle looks very nice indeed.  keep us posted as best you can Scott.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Thought I would post some more pictures of the Simparts.de TQ build that Don Harrison has been working so diligently on for the past couple months.  It is just about complete.  We only have to hook up some Phidgets cards now and program it.....only...

I will say that this is one heavy heavy heavy duty TQ kit.    Instructions are not that good and takes some ingenuity to assemble but the quality and design is excellent.   It is built like a tank and Don and I are really happy with the product.

Scott

dharrison

Scott,

Looks outstanding. Cannot wait to get over and take to the skies!!!

Don

727737Nut

Scott,
Question about the Throttle handles, how do you plan on putting the legends on the handles? Engraving or stickers for them? Reason I ask, i have a set from simparts as well and not sure how or what to do for that.
Rob
737 Junkie

jackpilot

Very nice Scott, I imagine easily the T.T.S.S.O.I    :D

Total Time Since Starting On It

Jack

MLeavy737

Thats a great looking kit/build.. Just one question.. Are those real trim wheels or are they provided with the kit. If it is a kit the manufacturer should make them more lie the NG diameter wheel and not the older style larger wheel. 

Just nitpicking :) I think the NG diameter is 8 inches.. something like that..

either way, looks great!

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

dharrison

This might be a good questions for Mike. On the NG, are thelabels on the throttle stickers or engraved and painted?

Don

Quote from: 727737Nut on January 13, 2011, 08:19:42 AM
Scott,
Question about the Throttle handles, how do you plan on putting the legends on the handles? Engraving or stickers for them? Reason I ask, i have a set from simparts as well and not sure how or what to do for that.
Rob

XOrionFE

I will try to answer what I can and maybe Jorg from Simparts will be on and can answer some but I know the trim wheels and the TQ handles are not to scale to the real ones.  Both are oversized a little and I dont know why but that is probably just what Simparts came up with when they introduced it.   The handles for the Flap, full cutoffs,  an Spoilers were pre-engraved but not the throtte handles.    I havent thought about the lettering much on them as it wasnt really that important to me and a sticker would probably be fine.

Don can comment best on number of hours to build as he did most of it. :-)

Scott

dharrison

Total time: maybe  hours? About 5 build session at 4-6 hours a piece at Scott's house and about 4-5 hours at mine...

Give or take...

Don

jetpilot

Scott,
Just by chance you have pictures of how it looks inside?.

jackpilot

Quote from: jkcombs on January 13, 2011, 10:22:32 AM
Jack, if you made yours, could you make just the bracket, if I cannot get it from Scott or Simparts? Of course it needs to be metal. John

Kindly and competently crafted by Gwyn. just ask him.
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

Quote from: jetpilot on January 13, 2011, 11:25:09 AM
Scott,
Just by chance you have pictures of how it looks inside?.

I have some pictures posted in this thread but haven't taken any inside.    Actually I would rather not post anything in great detail as this kit is from someone's hard work in design and would not feel right ethically about that.    Maybe if you ask Jorg at Simparts he may be willing to share some of the details but I would leave that up to him.

Scott

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on January 13, 2011, 01:41:04 PM
Quote from: jkcombs on January 13, 2011, 10:22:32 AM
Jack, if you made yours, could you make just the bracket, if I cannot get it from Scott or Simparts? Of course it needs to be metal. John

Kindly and competently crafted by Gwyn. just ask him.
JP

Yeah, I cant make anything metal with any accuracy either.   Gwyn I am sure could whip it up though. - Scott

throttlequad

Do you have any plans for the 737  TQ?

FredK

Quinn..

If interested....I have a surplus SimParts TQ that was built from their kit.
Interfaced with Phidgets.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Hey Fred,

Can you post some pics or email them to me, I believe you have my email address already right?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate