Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 02:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
23 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Korry Switches.

Started by Kennair, February 08, 2010, 05:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennair

I am now discovering the added complexity of a big bird build.  The 777 overhead has more Korry switches than you can poke a stick at.  Around 61 I counted!  So I am on the hunt for the most ingenious method of self building.  I have found a few good tutorials which I will definitely entertain but I thought I'd canvass the pros in this forum to see if anyone has other weird and wonderful methods.  I see FDS have a kit form Korry for only $10 CAD which is quite reasonable but that still works out to over $600 for the overhead just for Korry's.  I think I could make them myself for less, after all that's part of the fun in this hobby isn't it, building stuff?

After looking through all the tutorials so far it seems the neatest method is to manufacture them with a CNC.  I have looked at using square aluminium tubing with some sort of insert, or timber with holes drilled for LED's etc but getting that neat square profile is difficult using hand tools.  Also what experience have you had with momentary and latching switches?  Korry's usually have a longer throw than your regular push switch from an electronics store.

Anyway I'd really appreciate thoughts and ideas on this essential aspect of the cockpit.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

scorpioflyer

ken

I read a while back about using Lego pieces for the korry switch housing. I thought it was a great idea, however in terms of dimensions I have no idea how they measure up to the real ones.

Antonio

jackpilot

GMorning Ken
I am afraid that whatever method you will use, there is a good chance that you end up spending the same amount and long hours too.
It is a fairly complicated switch, and the end result has to be at the same level of quality, visually and tactile"ly" than the rest of your sim.
I have used the FDS one and was very happy with it.

Try this too:  [ebay]140258919160[/ebay]
Very nice guy, helpful.

Jack

Kennair

Thanks Jack,

I must say the $10 CAD is very tempting given all the major work is done.   I'd have to of course add labels to complete them.  Then there's the other switches and the panels themselves.  I would hazard the overhead is one of the most expensive, yet important components of any sim build.  Makes you realise Tim's A340 overhead is a steal at his asking price.  When I built my avionics stack I found midway through soldering 7 seg displays and connectors that I would have gladly paid the extra for pre-built versions, but I was happy with it once completed.  Its all a balance of budget, brain, brawn and time. 

Those ebay switches are pretty cheap too, thanks Jack, I'll keep them in mind.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

andarlite

Ken

Here's another idea from a 767 builder for building your own korry that doesn't require a CNC:

http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/building%20tip.html

I have also purchased some of the AML21 switches from the same Ebay listing that Jack posted earlier, but am now having second thoughts about using them as they are smaller and also only have one led in them. LIke you, I am also looking at cheap alternatives and I like the FDS ones.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

jackpilot

Maybe Phil has an idea ???? hint hint

Jack

jackpilot

[ebay]230432597135[/ebay]

Probably negotiable....??

Jack

Kennair

Wow that is tempting Jack.

Ken.

Boeing Skunk Works

I'd say that's a steal for real switches. If you had to buy them they'd be in the neighborhood of $150.00 each.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

AnneCourtois

In the 767 there are about 102 of those. I contacted Korry back 7-8 years ago about acquiring them. I received a quote for 1250$US. I called back the sales manager and discussed having just 10 sent, or about 125$ worth. He stopped me right there and explained to me that the price on the quote was for a unit, One switch. So that means that there is about 125000$US worth of push buttons in the a 767 cockpit. He went on to explain that these have tremendous MTBFs, 100+ plus parts, built by hand, etc., etc. Also, when you use a switch like the model 439 I think, it has a mechanical display to show the position of the switch, in or out. That shutter mechanism has to be robust, albeit made with tiny parts and these switches are classified as On-Board, meaning they are certified to fly. So, any price under 100$ each is still amazing, if one can copy the switch to its most intricate details. In 10 years, I have seen anything that comes close.
Design what you fly, fly what you design

jonesthesoftware

Check out Open Cockpits less than $20 each!!! includes legend and leds! Paste this link into your browser

http://www.opencockpits.com/index.php/en/products-en/item/Switch%20type%20Korry%20MON-OFF%20-momentary

regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate