Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
527 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 538
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 527
Total: 527

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

CNC cutting edges smooth?

Started by pvj85, April 28, 2016, 06:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvj85

Hi Guys,

I bought myself a Carvey (from inventables) and using vcarve to design and cut my panels.

I am having a few problems trying to get the cuts a lot smoother on the edges.

As you can see from the pictures they are not terribly smooth.

My CNC cuts are done with the following.

1/8 Solid Carbide Single Flute Upcut End Mill

spindle speed is 12000 rpm, feedrate 600 mm/min plunge rate 300 mm/min

cut depth at 0.3mm

Does anyone have advise or is at all down to sanding from here? not sure how to sand within the smaller holds and pockets? Or can you achieve smooth cuts with a cnc without needing to sand down alot?

cheers
Phil

MCrevot

What material are you using ? it seems to be mdf ? If it is, very difficult to do better ... But try with a two flutes mill, one flute is for aluminium or pmma.
Michel
my website : http://www.mya320sim.com
7700k, 4790k, 2600k, P3Dv4 and A320 FMGS, 3 views on 3 vdp with wideview, 180 deg screen

Aerosim Solutions

I agree with Michel, a two flute cutter would probably be better. I use 500mm/minute on 6mm acrylic and a depth of cut about 3.1mm for two passes. Sometimes with acrylic and nearly always with aluminium you will get a better finish using "Climb" cutting instead of "Conventional", the option is there in VCarve. Always use a spray lube on aluminium like WD40 or CRC although CRC stinks a lot! Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

pvj85

thanks Michel & Gwyn.

I have some 2 flutes on order from cnc-plus.de

I also cannot run my spindle beyond 12,000rpm as its an enclosed system and it won't be possible to upgrade the spindle.

I am hoping with 12,000 rpm and a new bit that I can achieve what you guys are achieving.

FYI the material in the photos are acrylic.

cheers
Phil

asenyurt

you have to do finish cut about 0.1mm
i am cuttung my panels this setup : 0.25mm deep 10.000 rpm spindle and 1000mm/min feed rate
as you can see last and inner line is finish cut

AtomicSheep

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate