Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
719 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 724
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 719
Total: 719

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080's for the cockpit

Started by tennyson, June 10, 2016, 05:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

Hi Guys and Gals.

Well, I put up a post here a few weeks back, saying I was upgrading my three IG computers in the cockpit. They were running Asus GTX 980's, so not exactly slouch material to start with.

Anyway, I ordered 3 founders edition GTX 1080's and sat back, waiting for them to arrive. In the mean time, I sold off all three of the GTX 980's....they went like hot cakes.

Then a few days back, Gigabyte broke ground saying they were bringing out a G1 gaming version of the GTX 1080. It has a slight overclock and 3 beautiful fans for extra cooling.

So, I saw them available last night, at the computer supplier that I put the pre-order in for my founders editions, so I gave them a ring first thing this morning.

As it turns out, nobody had even seen the advertisement, so I was the first in line to get them......well, first on the waiting list. Founders editions are not due in until next week, so I figured I'd made a better choice with a better card.

Then, at 1.00pm this afternoon, my old mate Dave, rings me and says..."two of these Gigabyte cards have just been delivered to my desk...do you want them???"

There was a long silence, as I grabbed my keys and reversed the car out of the driveway...

At 4.00pm they were both in two of the three cockpit PC's.

So, what's the verdict, you ask?

Well, these sorts of purchases are not cheap and it's the old story about what you expect from your upgrade dollar.

I admit that I've only had a few quick test flights, but already for me, I can see marked improvements on my GTX 980's. How big an improvement, you might ask?

Well, I did video it, so you can make a decision based on the footage. I will say, that I've never seen that level of detail from the 980's, there really was a whole different feel to the sim.

However, it is early days, I still have P3D V 3.2 running on my cockpit computers, so I will be upgrading them in the next week.

And, unfortunately for me, I have struck a problem. In the video, you will see that I had a great deal of trouble with Dewey, my right IG.

As it turns out, my problem is the Samsung SSD. It is now refusing to boot, after being turned off for a week or so. I do remember reading about this problem  a while ago, so I think if I update my BIOS, it may fix it. Failing that I'll stick the Windows disk in the dvd and see if I can rectify it that way.

Ah well, two steps forward, one step back. Don't you just love computing!!!

Frank
P.S. Nearly forgot the video. It's uploading now, so soon as I have it done, I'll put the link up.

tennyson

The video is still uploading, but when it's done it will be available here....

https://youtu.be/xEljUkh3Bao

Frank

navymustang

Frank - very interested in your video and the 1080s. But Google says the video is private and won't show it to me.

Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

tennyson

Yeah, the video is still loading, Jim.

It's a High def vid, so it only loads at snails pace from Oz. You guys are spoilt with your cable and T1 connections....haha

Frank

tennyson

Pretty sure anyone can view the youtube vid now. It's had 61 views as of this morning, so someone has watched it.

I'll be doing some follow-up vids, with better tripod mounted video, soon.

Frank

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate