Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
700 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 724
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 700
Total: 700

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Overhead ready to Install in Sim

Started by tennyson, June 20, 2016, 07:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

Boy, I feel like this overhead project ran longer than the sim build.

I bought the panels from Scott and then installed a set of Simworld gauges, Anders Start Switches and FDS cards.
The FDS Sys1 XT was the new type with the green screw connectors. It was much easier to use rather than splicing the cable ends on.

It has not all gone according to plan. I was chasing random problems for quite a while, but I've eliminated them all, one by one. I finally got my Anders switches running last night and it was so delightful to actually see them working in the flesh.

Tomorrow is one big day. The sim is all ready for the overhead. My aft overhead, complete with Ruscool IRS unit and FDS panels, is all installed and ready to attach to the forward overhead unit.

Then, I'll re-install all my FDS liners and that baby is starting to look like the real deal.

I updated all the software in the sim last week, so together with three brand spanking new Gigabyte GTX 1080's, and all the upgrades, the IT side of things, is looking good.

I have three Ruscool intercoms to go in the roof as well, but that will happen in a week or so, after I've done all my installation, setup and functional testing.

At last I can fly the sim with a real overhead, instead of the software overhead that I been using in the interim.

Happy days ahead!!!

jackpilot

Good for you...having a functional OVH is a treat

Speaking of treat, the above picture is not really representative of your hard work!

OK, Take 2 ? :D

Jack

Bob Reed

I have my overhead hung and almost ready to hook it up. Pretty good feeling huh?

tennyson

Yes it is, Bob.

And no it's certainly not, Jack. So, here's a few that are showing the spaghetti circus happening behind the scenes....

Frank

jackpilot

Jack

tennyson

....And as if by magic (and not a lot of grunt and shoving and pushing), the overhead is in.

I was really worried about my mounting of the FDS Sys card in the overhead, but I had taken measurements prior to doing it and it appeared like it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it wasn't. Should have trusted myself!
The unit, however, is very heavy, so I needed a hand to hold it up while I mounted it. Of course, everyone is busy, so I grabbed the gardener's son to give me a hand.
When he walked into the sim room, I don't think I've ever heard so many expletives, all in the same sentence.  Clearly, he was stunned and couldn't get over my perfect cover of building the sim in my third garage.......

Anyway, up she went and it all went to plan. I still have a little bit of hooking up to do and then I'm hoping to start configuration and testing tomorrow.
It's been such a long hard haul and it feels so good to have it installed and looking so good.

Frank

rs3tier

Congrats frank, I still remember getting an overhead installed.  I know the sim is never completed without seats... throttle... pedestal...etc.. but I think the overhead is in many ways the holy grail!  enjoy the fruits of your labour.
I get up to Brisbane pretty regularly, might have to arrange a visit one day!
Cheers,
Rob

tennyson

Rob, there's always an invite waiting here. Just shoot me your email and I'll send you my mobile.

Is your sim, 737 Tasmania? If so, I never miss an episode on youtube.

Regards,

Frank

rs3tier

Yes, that's me.  We are moving away from the tv's to a curved screen/projector solution next week, so you can expect some more videos once that is up and running :)

How far from Brisbane CBD are you?

Cheers,
Rob

tennyson

One hour from the CBD, Rob, heading toward the Sunshine Coast.

Your vids have been a great inspiration for me, Rob. I always check in to see if you got some new ones.

I was amazed at your TV's. But I can't quite get my head around the bezels and the hue difference between TV's. it's probably exaggerated in the video, too.

I'm heading off to New Zealand to help my old mate, Richard, with his sim, for a week. He's gone the wrap around screen and three GT 1080 Optoma's.

My projectors are 3LCD, whereas the Optoma's are DLP. From what I've read the DLP's are much better for night flying and don't have the inherent overlap problem that 3LCD technology has.

If it is as good as I think it will be, my next upgrade will be the projectors to DLP's.

Frank

rs3tier

rats, I was up there a couple of months ago and got as far as Mooloolaba (new commercial 737 just opened there and went for a look) so I am guessing I wasn't that far from you :)

I agree about the bezels, it had been my desire to go to curved screen for some time but we just didn't have the space.  Now we have moved the sim and have the room it was the first thing on my to do list.

Try and get some pics from NZ :)

jackpilot

Frank, where did you get the window handles, they look great.?
Jack

Jack

tennyson

Will definitely get some pics from NZ. I actually introduced Richard to cockpitbuilders and he comes here all the time.

He's a great bloke and has a beautiful family. I love going over there and spending time with them, they're top people.

And Jack, I bought the handles and base plate from Simquip, or as Nat calls them, Sim-Rip........haha!

I must be lucky as they have been good to me and no troubles, but their gear is so overpriced.

I can't wait to get in the sim in the morning, do a few connections and then fire up that overhead.
I tested the Ruscool IRS unit in my test room, but looking forward to seeing it fire up in the sim.

Frank

tennyson

Well, today was D-day for me. Several months of hard work.

I had a few simple issues to attend to before turning on the power, but they ended up taking several hours....typical.

So, I didn't get to turn it all on until after lunch.

First problem....house circuit breaker keeps tripping.....hmm, well I know that I have too much current draw from the three areas that I'm drawing power from.
I have this problem in hand, tho. An electrician is coming when I get home to wire up two separate circuits, just for the sim. That should fix that problem.

So, I turned the overhead on and fired up my main PC and the projector.
A few more minor problems...my FDS IBL panels are only working on the Fwd OH, so the connection to the rear is faulty. I can fix that quite easily, too.
Also, my IBL's are very dim. Even at full brightness, they look like they are barely on. I need to check that, too.

However, apart from those slight issues, the winner of the day, was the Simworld gauges.....Wow, don't those babies sing!
When you feed them power on start-up, they go thoo a self-test and calibrate and you can hear them whizzing and whirring.
All of my cards (FDS) worked straight out of the box and my Anders start switches were a delight.

I did a partial config with ProSim and everything was perfect. Even my annunciators are all playing the game now.

That's it now, until I get back from NZ, so I'll be dreaming of some solutions to those problems for a week or so, until I get back and get stuck into it again.

It really is great to have it all in and looking so professional after all the blood, sweat and tears.

Frank

jackpilot

Quote from: tennyson on June 21, 2016, 11:36:06 PM

Also, my IBL's are very dim. Even at full brightness, they look like they are barely on. I need to check that, too.

H

Frank

The OVH Backlighting draws A LOT .
I use heavy gauge auto wire to feed the distrib cards and a 1200W PSU.
(7-800 W should do well.)

Jack

tennyson

Yeah, the PSU is mounted on my roof and it's a brand new Thermaltake 800 watt Gold, so they don't come much better.

I know it's not right. I might shoot Peter or Steve Cos an email and ask their advice.
Steve's a regular on the Prosim forum now and is always there to answer the questions.

It's gonna bug me till I get it right, tho, I know that.

Frank

Flying_Fox

Quote from: jackpilot on June 22, 2016, 04:25:38 AM

The OVH Backlighting draws A LOT .
I use heavy gauge auto wire to feed the distrib cards and a 1200W PSU.
(7-800 W should do well.)

My overhead (including control cards) eats ~90 watt . Half of it is backlighting.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate