Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 03:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
507 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My sim progress to date.

Started by Steve A, March 07, 2010, 04:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve A

After reading through a number of threads i get the impression some members want to see some "new bloods" work in progress so here is my little project for you guys to have a look at  ;)

I set out to build something quite generic but found i was flying the pmdg 737 exclusively so the cockpit evolved somewhat into a scaled down version.
Budget is the biggest drawback of my project, but i hope that helps other builders see what can be done without too much cash.

For the visuals i use 2 projectors and a dualhead which i got 2nd hand. the right hand projector has a problem which i thought was the bulb so i replaced that and found out its something more serious. So just for the time being i have to make do with pink stripes appearing now and again  >:(
I use opencockpits mcp and efis and use pmdg's own glass pfd and nd, with the freefd eicas and standby gauges networked from an old cheap pc.
I have opencockpits and hispa panels for the mip and pedestal and buy them everytime i can. Only the landing gear and autobrake are interfaced at the moment. The cdu is el crappo vri, it works perfectly as an emulator and as long as i have the small tft screen displaying the actual pmdg cdu i do not need the mouse.
I wont be starting on the yoke until next year so for now i have saitek  :( however i have started the throttle quadrant and jackpilot was very kind to supply me with the throttle levers. The overhead is just a print and is interfaced through leo bodnar joystick cards... i am having the panels for the full forward and aft overhead made at the moment so this is the main project for this year.
The shell is very generic and was made from bits of scrap i had laying around. All i was trying to do here was increase the immersion by actually being inside the cockpit looking out through the windshield.
The pedestal is made up of various goflight modules and a few real 737 radios etc.... i can operate everything i need to from the goflight gear so a full pedestal is something for the future.
Another thing you will notice is the scale of the mip isn't correct... this is because i already had 3 17' screens available and decided to build my mip around them.
Please remember this is my first simbuild and i have plenty of years ahead of me to build the full scale exact replica but i would like to hear any constructive critisism and advise.  Here are some pics.

This is the view from the cockpit door which is actually a curtain.

On finals to cupboard door 06r.

I have a keyboard tray installed on the FO side for my daughter who is sometimes my copilot.

As long as i can keep flying and learning while i'm building it should all work out pretty well ( in about 10 years lol )

Regards Steve

Bob Reed

Oh wow this is nice!! Yes more pictures. You have a very nice sim.

XOrionFE

I think you sime is very impressive.    It shows how much can be accomplished on a lower budget with a little inginuity and determination.     I think I have spent over 8K to date and feel like I dont have much to show for it because everything is still in pieces.   Will probably be another 6 months before I can fly it.   And yours is completely flyable which is fantastic!   Nice job and I look forward to seeing yours progress as you add to it.   Keep the updates coming.

Regards,
Scott

Steve A

The Throttle has a long way to go  :)

shaneb

Hey Steve,

Your build is looking great . . and nice to be able to fly as you continue to build and improve your cockpit.  I think being able to fly and build is important . . keeps you motivated.  I still use the first cockpit that I built to keep flying while building a Lear cockpit. I still use the GoFlight modules in my first cockpit. They have worked very well for me.  Keep us posted on your build!

also Steve . . your first build looks a lot better than my first! Take a look at my first build . . .        :o

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Sean

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that as a first build!

ivar hestnes

I think you have a nice build there Steve. Nothing wrong building a sim on a budget. And it is flyable. Good thing :)
You succeeded in raising the immersion for sure :)

Also your first build looks very good Shane :)

warvet

Steve,
If your interested I have a practically brand new projector I can let you have for around $500 it works flawlessly and awesome clarity. Let me know, just trying to help you out.
Tim

"Want Some,Get Some, Bad Enough Take Some!:D "

Trevor Hale

Steve, you have done what I have been telling builders for years now..  Paint, and plywood can really go a long way to getting the immersion factor down pat, and I think you have it mastered.  Fantastic job, Dont ever apologize for being frugal :)

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

I think it looks good too, and my throttle looks just like that under the skin.

Wood is your best friend in this hobby.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

DarrylH

Very nice start Steve. Looking forward to watching your build,

Darryl

when acting as a wave

This is fantastic work! And yes, the design of your latest throttle looks very familiar to me also  :)
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

fsaviator

Looks great Steve.

I'm jealous... :'(

Cheers.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Steve A

Hi Guys.
A couple of you have mentioned that your throttle builds are very simalar to mine above. Its easy to see why as this design is very popular and there are a lot of tutorials knocking around the net.
I invented a brilliant way to cover the tq.... 8inch and 10inch plastic sewer pipe... as sewerage is my job nowadays, i even had some offcuts in my van and cut to the right dimensions the radius fits snug over the mdf. I'll upload some pics as soon as i can.
My questions are:
I'm using slide pots for the throttle levers, but what is best for the flaps and speedbrake lever, I have a design in my head for the flaps gate (notched thing) and will be using ballcatchers like Jack for determining positions like armed, up, down etc on the speedbrake, Would encoders work and then be able to be callibrated through fsuipc or do i need an individual microswitch for each flap/speedbrake position.

Thanks Steve

jackpilot

Hi Steve
Both flaps and speedbrake can be calibrated with a Pot.(circular or slide) There was a thread here on that,Check FSUIPC manual.
Cheers
Jack

Jack

Steve A

Thanks Jack... thats what i suspected.

Here is a quick and dirty knock together of how i have progressed so far. I Have only undercoated the sewer pipe and wont be sanding/filling until it gets put together for the final time. I Didn't really need to assemble everything but i wanted to see how the plastic pipe worked and how it would all look. Still have to cut the slots and fit all the levers obviously.
The pipe is 1/8 inch thick 3.2mm and i can stand on it without it bending so i have built a strong throttle lol

I'm enjoying this project.

Thanks Steve

jackpilot

I love it ! Looks real!
My first one (with levers of fame) was covered with a section of a big cylindrical plastic flower pot!

Jack

Steve A

Another couple of hours today and its almost there!!
I cut out the slots for the throttle levers, added various bits of trim and fitted all the other levers.
Now i can relax while i wait for the postman to bring the throttle levers, pots, interface card etc. Then i'll strip the whole thing, fill, sand and repaint all the wood/plastic components and set about fitting the slide pots and micro switches and interfacing with fsuipc.

I know trevor mentioned earlier "not to ever apologise for being frugal"  :o Total cost so far 20 euro's  ;)

Trevor Hale

20 Euro's guy??? Oh my God, thats awesome..  the result you have achieved for that little cost is exemplary.  Dude I think you deserve some kind of a medal for that.  Great Job, and by the way it looks awesome.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Steve A

Jack. You are a top top TOP bloke. Thanks a million.

Now the real work ( interfacing ) begins.

Trevor Hale

(Tear) OMG, that looks Great Steve.  You must be so proud.

(Ps the wife must be very proud to have that on the kitchen table as well) Nice centerpiece...

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

shaneb

That is an awesome TQ . .  looking forward to seeing that in your build!     :D
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Maurice

Quote from: Trevor Hale on March 15, 2010, 12:12:39 PM

(Ps the wife must be very proud to have that on the kitchen table as well) Nice centerpiece...

Trev

I can fix you up with a good divorce lawyer when the time comes Trev. In my first (& last) divorce, I was able to keep the shirt on my back and you may need his help when you surprise your wife with a new centerpiece such as this one.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Steve A

Its funny now about this being on the dining table.... Beacause last night i managed to score a deep scratch in it... Trying to diguise it with a fruit bowl didn't cut it with sam (my better half) and now im trouble... at least its quiet at my house at the moment as im getting the silent treatment. One budget throttle quad just cost me a weekend sanding and varnishing or a new table lol  :o She thinks im as mad as a box of frogs  :idiot:

Trevor Hale

Quote from: maurice on March 16, 2010, 06:44:31 AM
I can fix you up with a good divorce lawyer when the time comes Trev.

Too late Mau..  I ended up not needing one..  :)  But I may rethink the marriage thing before I try a second time.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate