Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 02:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
545 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 545
Total: 545

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help with choosing CDU

Started by Kumar Patel, March 12, 2017, 12:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumar Patel

Hi all,

I am starting to put my plans together and doing a lot of research on components to start building my B737NG.
I have visited a lot of sites and the more I do it the more confused I am .  I would like to ask you experts about the different CDU brands.  I see a lot of sim sites offer nice CDUs but the price difference it so huge.  I am looking to get it as realistic as I can.  I believe if it's the most expensive it does not need to be necessarily the best and the most realistic.  Please share your feedback/personal experience and thoughts on the below companies.

1) Fly Engravity € 1.649,00 - http://www.flyengravity.com/page/shop/7

2) Open cockpits € 437.00 - http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/nuevo-b737-montado-listo-p-370.html?language=en&cPath=22_61

3) Flight Simulator Centre € 1.980 - http://www.fsc.sx/Product.aspx?lang=ENG&ID=6f2af6b9-2f4b-493c-a589-f36dd0a73e42&CODE=384954

4) Flight Deck Solutions $999.95 - http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/components/b737ng/b737ng-mipmain/fds-b737ng-pro-mx-cdu-color-vga/

5) Sim Wolrd € 1.380 - http://www.simworld.pl/shop/product_info.php?products_id=108

I think these are the main brands that make CDUs, if I missed something please let me know.

I can understand a little price difference but they all seems to be apart quite a bit.  I tried to analyze them all and they all seem to be doing the same thing.

As a matter of fact, the prices differences vary a lot for all of the other components as well.  I am a little lost.

Please help.
Thank you

Ed

I've been using FDS CDU for a long time now. Works flawlessly. I highly recommend.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

FredK

Using 2 FDS CDUs here for several years now...no problems whatsoever.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

MjTom

Hi,
A few detailed and zoomable pictures from the opencockpits FMC.
Maybe it helps in the decision.

My first attempts with X-plane 10, x737 and x737FMC software

so long, Thomas

jackpilot

FDS CDUs for years and just upgraded  to the new ones, all metal, VGA and...next door to you without high shipping and duties.
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3995&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=194

Jack

bernard S

well now hmmmmmmmmmmmm  there a couple of other solutions as well, I tried simulated MCDUs and I just ended up getting vexed they either feel funky to the touch or they light up like some sort of nuclear power plant that has thrown a hissy fit... You can purchase real ones that have been converted to simulation use from the likes of symbolic displays (price of a good used car) or you can be clever and butter up Phil and ask him to convert real CRT to LCD  and by being clever you will not become vexed .. I would suggest the conversion by Phil you will be using these puppys a lot and they will hold their valve  its bucks well spent. The other solution and it only for the brave of heart if you demand as real as it gets buy a cockpit get the FMC the EIU ADU etc and use the ARINIC

Kumar Patel

Quote from: jackpilot on March 12, 2017, 01:51:08 PM
FDS CDUs for years and just upgraded  to the new ones, all metal, VGA and...next door to you without high shipping and duties.
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3995&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=194

So true, I am about 20 minutes from FDS plus the pricing is in Canadian Dollars which is a huge bonus.  I also heard that Peter and Steve are very helpful and their customer service is excellent.  He always replies to my e-mails right away.   Do you know what doesn't the PRO-MX-CDU have that a real plane has. 
SimWorld prides themselves on this unique screen dimmer feature they only offer, it apparently dims the letters/numbers only and not the screen. I honestly don't know what the difference is but they claim it is like in the real airplane.  Do you know if this is the case with FDS?  Thank you

BTW do you travel to Toronto sometimes?

Kumar Patel

Quote from: MjTom on March 12, 2017, 01:50:10 PM
Hi,
A few detailed and zoomable pictures from the opencockpits FMC.
Maybe it helps in the decision.

My first attempts with X-plane 10, x737 and x737FMC software

so long, Thomas

Hey Thomas,

I like you picture on your website.  I noticed you have breakers.  Will they function in your setup?

Thx

navymustang

I have to vote for FDS as well. Been using them (two) for three years with flawless performance.

It's a trade between what you want to spend your time on. Off the shelf or DIY.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

dvst8r

I have the FDS CDU as well.  It's excellent, I love the feel of the buttons. Very well made.

Ridgenj

I have FDS CDU too and has my vote too
luis

XOrionFE

While I agree with Bernard that OEM would be best it would also likely be most costly and not for the faint of heart in trying to interface them.

For most builders doing an NG I would hands down also vote for FDS.   I have tried Opencockpits before (my first CDU years ago) then ended up moving to FDS when they came out with their metal version.   I was never disappointed.   I did try an Engravity which a friend on this forum has in his NG and again, not anywhere near the quality of FDS.      cant speak for the others mentioned here but will add my votes (two hands!) for FDS.

Scott

MjTom

Quote from: jackthepilot on March 12, 2017, 02:51:25 PM

Hey Thomas,

I like you picture on your website.  I noticed you have breakers.  Will they function in your setup?

Thx

I got the complet rear wall from a 737NG from 1998.
Everything inside is dismanteld, therefore no more function.
What remains is a good feeling in the back.

Kumar Patel

Thank you everyone for all your answers, I really appreciate it.  It looks like I will be going with FDS.  Can any of you please just tell me how different is the FDS CDU from the real unit?  What doesn't it have?

Thank you

bernard S

it's simple one lights up correctly and has tactile switching the other does does not ...one full of grief the other is plug and play
I can not be anymore blunt than that ????

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jackthepilot on March 13, 2017, 03:53:56 PM
Thank you everyone for all your answers, I really appreciate it.  It looks like I will be going with FDS.  Can any of you please just tell me how different is the FDS CDU from the real unit?  What doesn't it have?

Thank you

I Have used both the Engravity CDU and the FDS CDU (I am pretty sure BOTH are metal.) The others in your list will be plastic..  Both are very Equivalent..  I think you may be confused though as to the operation of the CDU.  As far as the CDU's are concerned they look (Physically) the same as the real one.

The function depends on the software package you run (ProSim, SimAvionics, Project Magenta, PMDG)

So what is missing from the real one, depends on the avionics package you run.

Remember the CDU is just simple (A monitor and a keyboard) It does nothing without the software.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

cbruce

I have an engravity MIP and CDU bracket - does anyone know if the FDS CDU will fit this?
Best
Charles

navymustang

I have two FDS CDUs and they have worked flawlessly for 2 years.

But please take a look at the new unit coming out by CockpitSonic. Mathias and Thomas gave me a personal look just a few weeks ago at this unit and it is exceptional. Totally self-contained with Ethernet/power plug and play. No VGA required, totally built in.

Cost should be very reasonable.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Joe Lavery

That Cockpitsonic unit looks very nice particularly with no VGA required.
But the price at three times the cost of the FDS units is way off I feel.

:2cw:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

mickc

One other thing to consider with Ethernet units without a VGA input is that any updates in the CDU functionality by Prosim/SimA or whatever package you use will require an updated driver or firmware from the manufacturer, which is not always a quick or smooth process.

willow

Greetings

FDS (Pro MX) is a very good unit.  I used one for a few years without any issue at all - very nice.

I now use a converted OEM CDU.  The CDU operates flawlessly with ProSim-AR using Ethernet.

Obviously I prefer the OEM unit, however, the FDS comes in second best :)

WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate