Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 02:55:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
567 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 567
Total: 567

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

let´s talk about pilot shoes

Started by MjTom, June 13, 2017, 01:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MjTom

Perhaps someone can answer the questions:
I am just building the rudder / brake system and footrest of my B738 homecockpits.
A few questions keeps me going all the time:

Does the pilot has the shoe heels on the footrest , if he is using the rudder pedals for the side rudder and pushes the pedals back and forth?
Or he has the whole shoe in the pedal, so that the shoe heels have no contact with the footrest.
What about the landing when the last section is flown manually?
The whole foot in the pedal, so that the pilot can operate side rudder and is ready to brake?

Is there a requirement, what shoes the pilot need to wear?
I could imagine that sneakers do not slide so well over the aluminum.

It feels very strange with me, although I have the original dimensions respected.
The distances and heights of the pedals are thus correct.

I'm curious about the answer..... so long
Thomas

jackpilot

As far as I know, it is still a personal choice...even if flip flops are rarely used...
:D

Jack

Mach7

Thomas,

I am unsure of your definition of "side rudder".

It does not matter what type of shoe you wear. For takeoff and landing your heel is firmly on the floor of the aircraft and the tops of your feet are manipulating the rudder pedals.

You never ever ever have your whole foot/shoe on the pedal as you may inadvertently press on the brake pedal during takeoff and introduce a hot brake situation.

After landing, you slide your entire foot up on the pedals to operate the toe brakes.

Not sure if this is the answer to your question...however

KyleH

As Jim says' heels always on the floor during takeoff and landings. I put the ball of my foot on the lower part of the pedal where it doesn't rotate. Slide feet up if needing to brake.

One of the planes at my flight school was badly damaged when the pilot landed with the brakes already applied. The plane skidded on touchdown and went into a snowbank.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

MjTom

Very good answers ..... Thanks !
Then I now also know, how my propellers have been modified  ;)

my collection:

my favorite propeller, there was a great deal of effort.

so long, Thomas

bernard S

here is bottom line ..heels should  always at base of rudder peddles ... this is why they adjust. ..poor skill set if your feet have to climb the pedals for toe brakes     .. the only time your heels not on base   

a... when setting and insetting park brake ..and in cruise they become footrests

Mach7

@bernard S

Maybe something is lost in translation, and I am only referring to Airline type aircraft, but on takeoff and landing it is poor skill set to have your entire foot on the body of the rudder pedal other than for braking purposes..

High performance hydraulically powered rudder systems do not need a lot of input for takeoff climb cruise...the most pedal movement you are going to use is on a crosswind landing.

Most aircraft have to be "steered" to 60 or 80 knots before the rudder becomes effective. On the Bae146 there is no interconnect from nosewheel steering to the rudder pedals, so you had keep the aircraft straight on takeoff and landing using the tiller bar below 60 to 80 knots.

The CRJ900 has an interconnect, so on initial acceleration, you would use larger inputs, gradually becoming smaller as speed increased. At flaps 8 we have rotation speeds in excess of 150 knots, so your rudder input before you rotate is probably about 1/4 inch. left and right if you need it.

Therefore, for the most part, for takeoff and landing your heel should be firmly planted on the flight deck floor, using tops of your feet on the bottom part of the pedal(s) to input small amounts of pedal to keep the aircraft straight. ..more input initially then less as speed increases (rudder effectiveness) to the point where you are applying  an inch or two, sometimes less,  either side of center to keep it on the centerline. Think of your heel acting like a hinge connected to the floor, allowing your foot to pivot for input.

Also, when operating any hydraulically operated systems, always think "pressure" not "movement" and apply accordingly.

Finally, most aircraft have a rudder restriction mechanism, so as speed increases, rudder deflection also decreases. On some aircraft the max rudder deflection is +/- 2 degrees either side of center above 250 kias.

For the above reason, you NEVER REST YOUR FEET on the pedals or even come close to them in cruise flight. This is why the manufacturers have installed foot rest bars so pilots can put there feet on something other than the rudder pedals.

You can do a lot of damage to the tail feathers if you start pushing the rudder pedals about at Mach 85. The yaw damper does a fine job balancing out the yaw occilations.

When you are taxing out, or once you touchdown, then slide your feet up the pedal to provide even and gentle application of the toe brakes.

Trevor Hale

Quote from: Mach7 on June 14, 2017, 02:51:13 AM
Therefore, for the most part, for takeoff and landing your heel should be firmly planted on the flight deck floor, using tops of your feet on the bottom part of the pedal(s) to input small amounts of pedal to keep the aircraft straight. ..more input initially then less as speed increases (rudder effectiveness) to the point where you are applying  an inch or two, sometimes less,  either side of center to keep it on the centerline. Think of your heel acting like a hinge connected to the floor, allowing your foot to pivot for input.

This is how I fly, and I couldn't agree more..  It would be painful for me to have to keep my feet up on the peddles all the time.. LOL Besides, its kind hard to hold my beer and concentrate on where my feet should be LOL
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bernard S

good god really  i tried ro keep ro keep my fingers shut but failed ...lol

rudder require a postive control.input to get deflection same with brakes .. resting feet against pedals does not induce deflection nor does it cause toe braking that is a different foot actiion altogether what you implied is that when i assume real aircraft  your seat is in upright position and your  feet are planted firmly on floor away away from said foot rests ... at end of day its personal preference ????

bernard S

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate