Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
470 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 470
Total: 470

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

USB Hub and Opencockpit's MCP

Started by Jason L, March 11, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L

I sometimes hate technology. Considering I was an IT Director for 18 years I guess that isn't good.  I got a nice Opencockpit MCP v2 on Friday and got it hooked up to my computer just fine.

Switch it over to my Powered USB Hub and it doesn't work.

I've used 'Plugable' brand USB hubs for a while.  Always seem reliable and come with nice strong power supplies to handle demanding USB items.  Any other USB device I plug into the hub works just fine, but the Opencockpit MCP will not.  Once in a great while it'll work, but 9 times out of 10 it will not.

Here's what I've done:

Verified that power management is off on my USB ports (I have Windows 10)
Verified that the Hub is getting a strong 5v from the power supply
Verified that the MCP's power supply is working properly
Verified that other USB devices plugged into this hub work OK
Verified that the MCP works ok by plugging it directly into my PC (works fine, connects to SIOC, and my Sim)

Some things to note:

My hub is USB 2.0
My PC has USB 2, 3, and the newer style C connectors.
My PC will see the MCP through the hub, but say something is wrong with it and will not start.
My PC will see the MCP no problem if it is connected to a 2.0 or 3.0 port on my computer directly.

I know the easy answer is to just have it plugged into my computer, however I have limited USB ports and wanted to use Hubs so I don't have to run everything back to my PC as I begin to develop my cockpit.

If this is just the way it is for this MCP then that's what I'll do.  Just curious from the group if there is a solution or if I am just dealing with a limitation of the device.  There is little documentation / information from Opencockpit on troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks in advance!

iwik

Jason,
I have used quite a bit of o/c electronics and have found them to be rather fussy. It is really
important to have a good quality hub. Ive used many of the cheaper ones around and have mixed results. Important to make sure the dc supply to the hub is adequate.
In the end i ditched what i had been using because of random dropouts and bought 2 USB 2.0
hubs from Firewire in the US on recommendation from a member(Rays) here and never had anymore problems. They do industrial type units which have been designed properly.
Hope this helps.
Les

Jason L

Thanks for the tip.  For now I'll just keep it direct but look to get something better later on when I get into my build further.  Can you provide a link to the one you purchased?

Thanks.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate