Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
453 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 453
Total: 453

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My intro and newbie questions

Started by revwarguy, April 08, 2018, 03:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revwarguy

I am just about to get started with my sim, so I have a number of questions.  I realize these have been asked before, but all the posts like this I've seen on this or other forums were years old.

I am no stranger to writing arduino code, so working with them is probably in the mix to do some of the interfacing.  I know how to get my hands dirty around computer hardware and software, as well as building various devices.  I am inclined to DIY the rudder pedals for example.

However, the basics - I am not trying to reproduce an airline cockpit perfectly, as I also want to fly older machines, fighters, and maybe even those starship sims I've seen.  However, I do want to create some kind of immersive feel to it - probably HOTAS, pedals, good sound, adjustable chair, buttkickers, etc. I am leaning toward a 3 screen outside view configuration with a fourth screen inside for instruments, as well as switch panels, etc.

The outside screens will be 1024 flat 32 inch tvs, and the interior screen probably a 19 inch monitor, and I would like to experience as good as a frame rate as can be expected for reasonable money (by reasonable, I mean using products closer to midpoint pricing rather than state-of-the-art pricing).  So, question one - is there anything specific to look for in the tvs, or will any ole 1024 hdmi tv do?

2. What would be considered a good graphics card choice here - a GTX 1060?  How much memory should be on its board?  I think this can handle 4 screens, but should it?  Should there be another card or even computer for what I want to do?

3. What would you recommend for a starting sim software base to do the above - FSX, X-11 or something else?

4. Any general advice?  I'm all ears.

Regards,

Trevor Hale

Quote from: revwarguy on April 08, 2018, 03:00:25 PM
  So, question one - is there anything specific to look for in the tvs, or will any ole 1024 hdmi tv do?

Stay away from 60Hz Tv's/monitors. 240Hz, will cost you quite a bit, but I am sure you can pick something up in the mid range.

2. What would be considered a good graphics card choice here - a GTX 1060?  How much memory should be on its board?  I think this can handle 4 screens, but should it?  Should there be another card or even computer for what I want to do?

I would go with the GTX 1070 Card

3. What would you recommend for a starting sim software base to do the above - FSX, X-11 or something else?

If your very familiar with Arduino, you may want to look at the X-Plane Route, as it includes Native Support for Teensey Cards. (With limited programming)

4. Any general advice?  I'm all ears.

This one can be answered by all you searches, OLD or NEW. Take your time and do it right.  Paint and Plywood go along way to giving you the immersion factor for cheap.

Get yourself a 3d Printer, and make sure you realize that this won't happen overnight.  Likely you will build and rebuild a few times before you are completely satisfied.

Welcome to the group.

Trev
Regards,
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

revwarguy

Thanks, Trev, for the quick response.

Stay away from 60Hz Tv's/monitors. 240Hz, will cost you quite a bit, but I am sure you can pick something up in the mid range.

I see most folks on these forums struggling to get up to 30 fps.  If that is the case, why would a 240Hz refresh (or 120 for that matter) be an advantage worth the money?

If your very familiar with Arduino, you may want to look at the X-Plane Route, as it includes Native Support for Teensey Cards. (With limited programming)

Ive used Teensy's before - I'll look into X-plane's support for them.  Also, I already have a 3D printer, although I am not sure how they apply here (I'll look more into that forum.)

blueskydriver

Hi Gary,

Welcome to Cockpit Builders! Trevor got you going, so I will only add this:

-Go visit another builder

-Decide on what class based sim you really want...Big Jets, GAs, Fighters, then build it. You can do a multi type sim, but it'll still be class based. Best to just pick one type, like a F16 Fighter or B737 for example.

-If you want to go cheap and save money, go older Flight Simulator programs like FS9 or older Xplane, as the system requirements are less. However, expect to upgrade later on down the road.

-Read up on the difference between inside the cockpit software and outside the cockpit software; especially, like ProSim, SimA, Project Magenta, and PMDG.

-Don't think about one awesome computer to run it all (if you wish to go the poor man route); instead, think of one great computer for the outside visuals and a half of dozen run the mill cheap computers for the inside visuals (like project magenta based setup).

-Checkout ThingyVerse for 3d models and search aircraft, then you'll understand about the 3d printing aspects that Trevor spoke of.

-Did I mention to visit another builder...lol...yes, but I'll say it again. Visiting another builder who has a sim up and running will get you ahead by leaps and bounds, or by simulated takeoffs and landings... :idiot:

John

PS one last thing, check this website everyday, as there is always something new to learn, as well as watch some of Trevor's live twitch feed flights...
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate