Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
458 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 458
Total: 458

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Building a MIP out of MDF

Started by Steenos, April 16, 2018, 06:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steenos

So I've done tons of research like all of us have on the MIP. If I was to get a FDS MIP it would be over 3k. It's doable but just a lot of money. And the fact that I'm not using PROSIM for my build and XPlane Peter said there wouldn't really be much support.

What I've seen a lot of people do on youtube is just make it out of MDF. Is 10mm basically just .5 inch in the US? I was going to have Lowes cut the pieces to size because I don't have a table saw and use a skill saw to cut the angles.

What are your guys thoughts? Have you built a MIP out of MDF?

Thanks.

jackpilot

First of all, what do you call a MIP ?
The flat front instrument panel
Or the whole structure including the front panel

MFDF is not an easy material to work with. (heavy, messy dust, too thick for the front panel, does not hold screws on the side etc)

From experience, I would recommend starting with something like  this:
https://flightdeck-solutions.myshopify.com/collections/b737ng/products/fds-b737ng-mip-main-2-0

From FDS or any other vendor of your choice. You will avoid several months of frustration with MDF, adjustments, doing and redoing, ...for a questionable result.

Nevertheless, the  structure itself (sides, CDU box, shelving at the back etc) can be built out of MDF with ease, but for the front panel with its many cutouts (display units, bezels, landing gear etc) you would be much better off by ordering it from an outside supplier.
I did that for my previous sim and was happy with it...

No point making the front panels yourself IMHO when you see this:
http://www.cockpitsimparts.co.uk/index.php?id_category=16&controller=category
Last tip, stick with one supplier, mixing products is a sure recipe for trouble!

Jack

Steenos

Jack! You're all over it. I just wanted to build the structure and use the panels from cockpitsimparts just exactly like your picture. I've never built one before. But I figured if I got Lowes to cut the pieces to size then I just had to cut out the angles that might make it easier?

I just remember trying to build the overhead frame it was super frustrating trying to get everything to line up. I just thought the MIP structure might be a little easier.

Aerosim Solutions

I suggest the use of 6mm PVC (1/4"), Great material to work with. It paints well with a decent etch primer and you can tap threads into it, glue it, heat and bend it. Most of my structure is PVC.

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate