Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:45:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
105 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 105
Total: 105

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Alaska Airlines N512AS 737-800

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

Alright, we made it to 5 weeks. I feel like a cripple every night going to bed after working 2 full time jobs (one of them pays me and the other one takes money away).

Where does the build sit right now?

Sheeting done, surface sanded and nails punched on the entire lower part of the flight deck.
8 cartridges of glue used.
About 5200 finish nails have gone into the shell.
About 800 screws on the framework.
4 sheets of plywood.
6 sheets of hardboard.
3 #2 drill bits shattered.
One orbital sander went to heaven.
One jigsaw landed in the street because it couldn't cut straight (true!).
One of the hand drills only works when it wants to now. May end up in a street near you soon!
3 Jigsaw blades.
One pair of tennis shoes are now leaking as a nail decided to poke through my sole.
One gallon of drywall compound so far.
And the list goes on............

Today's question from a random bypasser..... Is it flyable now? Serious? When will these stupid questions end? I've considered putting up a big dry erase board and list the top 10 stupid questions for everyone to see. Yes? No?

Anyway, as you can see on the first picture I really have to consider demolition work on the old simpit sooner rather than later. It kills me to tear it down but I'm afraid I have no option :)

Wanna see pictures? Here we gooooooooooooo..

blueskydriver

Hi Andre,

Your sim is looking great! Too much work for me though... Got a suggestion about your onlookers who are curious. Go to Walmart and buy a "First Up" or whatever the name brand pop-up Canopy that is 10'x10' and also buy the sides kit. You'll have a way to work out in front of your garage, if you just use three sides, and then the open side would face you. You could get a folding table to setup tools or what not on it, and place it inside; thereby you'll have extra working space without too many people asking questions. Although, remember the old saying "He who does must answer to he who doesn't"...lol.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Flyboyandre

Quote from: blueskydriver on June 01, 2012, 09:24:50 PM
Hi Andre,

Your sim is looking great! Too much work for me though... Got a suggestion about your onlookers who are curious. Go to Walmart and buy a "First Up" or whatever the name brand pop-up Canopy that is 10'x10' and also buy the sides kit. You'll have a way to work out in front of your garage, if you just use three sides, and then the open side would face you. You could get a folding table to setup tools or what not on it, and place it inside; thereby you'll have extra working space without too many people asking questions. Although, remember the old saying "He who does must answer to he who doesn't"...lol.

BSD

Good point BSD! It will become easier soon as I demolish the old sim room.

MLeavy737

Looks awesome! What an awesome amount of work into that baby!

I had a question anout the drywall compound.. I have done alot of of sheetrocking in the homes i have owned so i have alot of experience with it... I would be afraid of it cracking with any type of flexing in that wood. Say you lift it up to move it and get some flex in it?  Its nice and easy to work with compared to say fiberglassing the thing for sure.. I guess if it stays put you should be just fine..

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Flyboyandre

Quote from: MLeavy737 on June 01, 2012, 09:44:58 PM
Looks awesome! What an awesome amount of work into that baby!

I had a question anout the drywall compound.. I have done alot of of sheetrocking in the homes i have owned so i have alot of experience with it... I would be afraid of it cracking with any type of flexing in that wood. Say you lift it up to move it and get some flex in it?  Its nice and easy to work with compared to say fiberglassing the thing for sure.. I guess if it stays put you should be just fine..

Mike L

You bring up a good point Mike, one that I had as well as I started. However, I put my faith in Ivar Hestnes' hands who actually used the exact same construction method/materials. He said he has yet to get cracks after 6 years.
The modular build should not make it too risky when moving/disassembling as it's truly a plug together. Neither do I imagine I will be moving it too often.

blueskydriver

I agree with Mike about drywall compound and how the flexing causes cracks way to easy. If not by moving it, then it'll be from expansion and contraction. That was (or is) the biggest problem with curved screens. Albeit, they would not move like your cockpit might need moving, but the movement from the weather changes is bigger than what most people think.

There is so much heat involved with a sim, and then you need to cool it (the room), so the battle of hot and cold rages and your drywall compund will be the victim. Actually, I was surprised about this route you took with the compound, did you think about the fiberglass? Would you believe that either fiberglass or cloth sheeting with epoxy or dope on RC planes looks really nice? I have about 50 airplanes and many are done in those methods. More so, I think cloth and dope is a lot better looking with a lot less sanding, as well as it paints really nice; thereby, that could be something to think about.

If the drywall does fail, you could still consider fiberglass or cloth materials, but I have never seen that used over drywall though. I am not sure how it'd turn out... Also, where do you live, do the temps change or vary alot, and is your garage heated or cooled by heat/AC? If not, it will be. Plan on including that right along with enough power outlets. I know some people will say you don't need to many outlets, but in my opinion, more outlets with 20 amp each, is better than less. Take it from a person who has melted cords and power strips because I was assuming what I had was enough. You'll never know if the wires in the wall are getting too hot until they melt (circuit breakers don't prevent fires, they prevent shorts...which is after the fire starts!).

Anyway, I look forward to more of your pictures and progress. Heck, I even like what the onlookers say too you and you tell all of us here. If anything, look at it as all fun and games, and that people envy you or soon will...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Flyboyandre

Quote from: blueskydriver on June 01, 2012, 10:59:54 PM
I agree with Mike about drywall compound and how the flexing causes cracks way to easy. If not by moving it, then it'll be from expansion and contraction. That was (or is) the biggest problem with curved screens. Albeit, they would not move like your cockpit might need moving, but the movement from the weather changes is bigger than what most people think.

There is so much heat involved with a sim, and then you need to cool it (the room), so the battle of hot and cold rages and your drywall compund will be the victim. Actually, I was surprised about this route you took with the compound, did you think about the fiberglass? Would you believe that either fiberglass or cloth sheeting with epoxy or dope on RC planes looks really nice? I have about 50 airplanes and many are done in those methods. More so, I think cloth and dope is a lot better looking with a lot less sanding, as well as it paints really nice; thereby, that could be something to think about.

If the drywall does fail, you could still consider fiberglass or cloth materials, but I have never seen that used over drywall though. I am not sure how it'd turn out... Also, where do you live, do the temps change or vary alot, and is your garage heated or cooled by heat/AC? If not, it will be. Plan on including that right along with enough power outlets. I know some people will say you don't need to many outlets, but in my opinion, more outlets with 20 amp each, is better than less. Take it from a person who has melted cords and power strips because I was assuming what I had was enough. You'll never know if the wires in the wall are getting too hot until they melt (circuit breakers don't prevent fires, they prevent shorts...which is after the fire starts!).

Anyway, I look forward to more of your pictures and progress. Heck, I even like what the onlookers say too you and you tell all of us here. If anything, look at it as all fun and games, and that people envy you or soon will...

BSD

Everything you've said has been living on my brain since the planning started. I originally wasnt going to use the compound until I talked to Ivar so I decided to give it a shot. I guess there would be no better place in the world with regards to temperature fluxuations than up there in Norway.
Heat and power was something I learned a lot about when I built my first project so I'm prepared with ideas when I get my garage set up the way I want to. The old sim pit will be torn down and I will re-purpose the dedicated circuit breakers I installed when building the first sim.
Time will tell. It will be a while before it 's all done as the project will slow down significantly when we get to the instrumentation part. Not because I can't do it quickly but because budget will be spread out over time.
Ordered my MIP today.

vidarf

Should work out okay. Ivar has moved his shell around more than a bunch of gypsies in the 18th century, and it still looks great.

I would use epoxy + fiber glass though. MUCH easier to get an extremely smooth surface, and the whole structure will be incredible strong. However, as you've already used drywall compound, that option is pretty much gone. You can of course cover everything with glass fiber and epoxy, but it won't do you too much good now. Money wasted, actually. The drywall compound will crack, and the epoxy/fiber glass laminate won't stick to the framing.

And after all - the idea is to sit INSIDE the sim! So what if it cracks on the outside? Look at the FDS shell. It looks like a Darth Vader reject, but as with people - it is the inside that counts!

Flyboyandre

Alright, pulled the roof section off in order to apply the second layer of hardboard. Hope to get this done tomorrow. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. The next step after that is to get multiple layers of filler on and sand it ready for paint.
As for the bottom I still have some finish work with window framing to do and prep for window installation. Both captain and first officer side have one coat of filler applied and it will soon be time to start the dreaded job of sanding.
Worked on the rounded corners of the aft side windows today. Ended up too rounded in the upper corner but it will have to do.

Flyboyandre

I have to give My wife credit for this one as she took on the challenge of silencing curious bypassers. She scavengered the gift shop at The Museum Of Flight today and came up with a sign that is now posted anove my garage door. Just wait and see.....Some jerk will steal it :)

Anyhow.......I have started the second layer sheeting on the top (center aft section on the second picture) and what I have done so far turned out really good. Very minimal sanding will go into prepping for the filler. If all goes well we are within a couple of weeks of paint.

Flyboyandre

Ok, so I did listen to my doctor for once. With recent health issues and the need to drop some weight, I carefully approached the 737 for some light duty this afternoon/evening.
The only remaining portion on the exterior was to finish the second layer of sheeting on the roof and prep sand before filler. This has now been accomplished.
The first layer of filler on the lower portion has been sanded and is ready for coat number two.
My hope is to have the body ready for paint by the end of the weekend. I have some minor trim work that needs to be completed, one of them being the channels for the window installation.

Oh and I mocked up the nose with some styrofoam sheeting containing a short and sweet descriptiom. Funny thing is........No questions today!!

Flyboyandre

XOrionFE

Awesome Andre.  You did so much in such a short time.  I think if CB had an award for fastest full shell build you would win hands down.   Can't wait to see that thing with paint on it!

Scott

Trevor Hale

Quote from: XOrionFE on June 10, 2012, 04:36:16 AM
Awesome Andre.  You did so much in such a short time.  I think if CB had an award for fastest full shell build you would win hands down.   Can't wait to see that thing with paint on it!

Scott

You got that right. While at the get together, stuffing ourselves with beer and pizza each of us commented on what an amazing an fast build you had.

Amazing work.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Flyboyandre

Thank you very much gentlemen. It is rewarding to see all the work turn into something as physical as this.

Flyboyandre

A big milestone in the project has been reached. My indefinite counter app on my iPad shows 50 days, 11 hours and 38 minutes since the first cut was made with the jigsaw.
I guess I really haven't taken much time to reflect on the build so far as I went all in during every spare moment I had since the April 21st start. However, it hit me today....This is a BIG project!!! I don't think I have embarked on any single project this big during my 38 years of life. Actually, the N512AS project would probably outnumber everything I've done in the past.....combined!
That being said I felt very a great sense of accomplishment when I closed the garage door this evening.
I would like to thank everyone who have stepped up with advice, given me a hand, listened to my bitching and most important of all....to my wife for allowing me to build my dream...

Flyboyandre

I am sorry about the number of posts but somehow I feel compelled to share almost real time. The progress is about to slow down anyway for a while as i await the arrival of the MIP.

I'm hiring some professional paint help this weekend just to make sure I have someone to supervise me. However, it came at a high price as my 9 year old wanted a new purse for payment :shock:
Well, i don't think she will spot the difference between fake or real. Right?

vidarf

Flyboyandre

I received a private message on one of the forums I have my build posted at 2 days ago.
To my big surprise I was told by two of my norwegian compadres that they were going to show up at my house to see the build. Sure enough, last night they rolled into Puyallup in their rented RV and I had to take them on a special tour of the area, including the final stop with them certifying my shell for paint :)

What a cool experience! Had a really cool time Vidar and Ketil!

Future of flight tour in Everett.

You are hereby certified to paint!

Flyboyandre

Doctor, doctor..........

My wife's comments went something like this "it looks like you're preparing for something illegal". Well, it isn't that bad as I'm finally ready to spray the primer, followed by the glossy white base coat.
I'm also trying to duplicate the 2 shades of blue in order to get the Spirit of Seattle color scheme as realistic as possible.

Flyboyandre

Typically you won't see the paintjob applied until a fully functional plane rolls off the line. However, this is no typical factory job so I reserve the right to make any decisions I please cause it's MY stinking (literally) garage.
Well, the paint isn't 100% complete as my buddy Steve is cutting a stencil for the "Proudly All Boeing 737" which will go on the lower portion below the windows and I also need to get the 512 posted above the front windows.
The final touch on the body itself is to get the skin installed to the lower frame. This may seem like a tiny thing but will add a lot more to the color. Decided to keep it off until the old simpit is gone in order to avoid accidental scuffing. Space is definitely at a premium now........

jackpilot

I know (we all know) that feeling...you take a few steps back, stare at it ,  cant believe that YOU DID it and feel very good about yourself! :D
Better than Champagne....well, speaking of which!!.. :laugh:

Well deserved, congrats.
Keep posting
Jack

Jack

Sam Llorca

Hello Andre! What a great job, keep it up I like it!!!
Sam.

N737AG

Andre, this is AMAZING.

Can't wait to see more pictures on your progress.

Axel

fsaviator

:eek: :rock: :cheers:

sorry... couldn't resist.  Outstanding!  Taking orders?
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate