Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
476 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 476
Total: 476

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Affordable Custom Curved Projector Screens!

Started by blueskydriver, November 18, 2011, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Sean,

I am glad that this is progressing for you. I really doubt you'll have any problems... I wasn't spying, I just think great minds think a like 8)

If you haven't spoke with Carl yet, just call him and explain everything. He will really help insure you get the right screen. I did when I ordered mine and he explained everything in full detail. Plus, when I went with the bungees every 6" he said that was a great idea because of the nature of my design...

I must've just got offline this morning when you got on. It was about 1:30AM CST when I rolled off to bed...funny now, here I am just waking up, but haven't roll out of bed yet...just opened my eyes.

Anyway, I will try to do teamspeak if you would like this weekend; otherwise, we could try the instant texting through CB?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sean

I touched base with Carl today, he remembers you and thanks you for the referral.

He has asked me for more precise details (i.e. a drawing) of the timber frame I have constructed as he wants to make sure that the screen he provides is as accurate as possible. Can't say fairer than that!

Here's a quick shot of my handiwork...  :P

blueskydriver

Sean,

That is great! I am glad you spoke with Carl and he is working with you on this. It's like I said, he is a good guy and really wants to make sure you get exactly what you need. I recommend that anyone considering a new or updated screen contact Carl right away, as he will walk you through everything like he did me...

Otherwise, Sean are you going with the PVC tubing and brackets? Looking at your wall/studs, I suggest you do the tubing and brackets too make sure the screen is not against the studs because over time you will begin to see indents from them.

Finally, I am going to contact Carl about making sample kits for a small fee. Something like a 12"x12" square with black borders and gromment holes every 6", and he includes some bungees to show the types he uses. Thus, the person could purchase the sample kit, see it up close, and return it for a refund of the fee, if they decide too purchase a fullsize screen; otherwise, they just keep the sample with no refund, if the customer chooses to go elsewhere. This way people can see what they're getting, as with screens, it is hard to guess or visualize what the material will be like.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sean

Yes John, I'm planning on using brackets to make sure the screen stands off the backing timbers.

Not a bad idea about the samples, although I'm sure I read on his website that samples weren't a problem. I suppose he get's quite a bit cut-off from custom sized screens like ours.

Really looking forward to getting my screen now. I must order up the projectors too. About the mounts, I assume the projectors need to be mounted quite close to the average height ceiling?

Sean

Sean

Well, I recieved my screen from Carl yesterday and I hung it today.

One of the best things I've bought for the sim. It looks awesome just hanging there! I can't wait to get an image onto it (note to self: Get projectors ordered).

Thanks to John (BSD) for recommending Carl's Place http://www.carlofet.com/

For those who want a curved screen, this is definately the way to go. No messing around with oversized sheet materials, and no joins whatsoever. That it's made with actual projector screen material is the icing on the cake!

All I need to do is mount the vertical end supports, but I've ran out of pipe saddles. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Sean

VanGray

Hi Sean -

What size screen did you decide on, and how are you considering mounting it?

Best regards,

Van

Sean

Hi Van, welcome to the forum.

The screen is 7ft high and 30ft long. It has a diameter of 13ft. I can't recall the field of view angle off the top of my head, but it extends well behind the rear windows. If I look over my shoulder I can't see the end of the screen. I'm not sure that 3 projectors will actually cover that distance, but we'll see.

Have a read of my earlier posts in this thread to get an idea of how I mounted it.

Sean

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate