Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
92 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Outside View

Started by Bob Reed, April 08, 2016, 10:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

So I know I have been down this street before but, I am going to try it again. I just acquired 2 50" Plasma monitors from work. 1280 x 768. After seeing what Robs setup looks like I will adjust my views like his. Worse case it wont work and I will just use 1 of them out the front. Doubt I will find a third of this kind and even if I did shipping would kill me. They weigh 86lbs each.

blueskydriver

Hey Bob, post some pics...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Bob Reed

Bob Reed

Well with the help of my brother I got the stand all built for the testing of the first monitor. The stand had to be tough as this thing weighs 86lbs. It is an older Plasma 1280 x 768 rez. I did not expect too much that is why I only brought one of them home. If they would not work I did not want to haul them back to work. Well now I am wishing I brought them both home. This picture looks great! Weather is supposed to be crap so it will be an all day sim day!

[smg id=1222]

[smg id=1221]

blueskydriver

Hey Bob,

Looks good! So, I am curious, are you using the MIP drawing plans that are out there? If you need them let me know.

Otherwise, about getting wood home, do you remember how Ivar and the builder from Norwegian737 Project built their shells? They used thin (width), but long plywood strips and layered them onto the framing. Much like boat building, it actually is much easier too do it that way.

Thus, if you go to Lowe's to get plywood, you could have them cut 4'x8' sheets of plywood in half, giving you 4'x4' squares, and then have them cut those into either 4 or 6 inch strips, by 4' long. You should have 12 or 8 each strips, per 4'x4' square (depending on the width of the strip; 4 inch would be best to work with), so that's either 24 or 16 strips 4ft strips from 1 each 4'x8' sheet of plwood, to fit in your vehicle.

They will be flexible, so you will have an easier time loading them in. Of course, they might charge you per cut; maybe, $.50 or $1.00 per cut, and if you pay $50 for all the cutting, it's well worth it. Why? Well, you likely have a circular saw, but have you ever cut plywood in skinny strips? You will need a chalk string, some saw horses, a helper, and you have to think about the mess, your time doing all the work, as well as the chance of getting hurt. I have learned that paying a little extra for cuttings, is much cheaper in the long run...seriously.

If you get a chance, check out some of the pictures and older videos here:

http://norwegian737project.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTRAcCiBXU8

Make sure you watch videos 1-3.

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

John, if anyone goes that way for building a shell or use wood for any other cockpit element, the only tool (available for $100-150) that can make straight cuts is this:

Jack

Bob Reed

I was just talking about this. And I have a nice chop saw for cutting most of what I need. And for what I would use a table saw for, I think it would be a waste of money. I have a plan... And if I need one I was just offered the use of one so I am good I guess.... Teensy arrives today!!

727737Nut

Looks good Bob.  You have to adjust the lateral offset just a touch.  I have no centerline issues like in the past that people have mentioned.  My forward view is 7680 x 1080   view width is set to 90deg with a .10deg lateral offset

Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

Quote from: 727737Nut on April 09, 2016, 06:26:15 AM
Looks good Bob.  You have to adjust the lateral offset just a touch.  I have no centerline issues like in the past that people have mentioned.  My forward view is 7680 x 1080   view width is set to 90deg with a .10deg lateral offset

Rob

So that is each monitor, correct? .10 on the left and -.10 on the right?

727737Nut

No not correct, you will driving the displays at 2560x768 in x-plane.  Probably have to set it manually. Depends on the drivers you are using. So you move your viewpoint leterally on the single wide view.  Make sense?
Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

Quote from: 727737Nut on April 09, 2016, 09:32:04 AM
No not correct, you will driving the displays at 2560x768 in x-plane.  Probably have to set it manually. Depends on the drivers you are using. So you move your viewpoint leterally on the single wide view.  Make sense?
Rob

Yup shifting the entire field of view.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate