Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
53 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 65
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

RTX-3090 Performance with P3D v4.5

Started by sagrada737, May 02, 2021, 07:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello All,

I thought it might be interesting to comment on the performance of my RTX-3090 GPU.  This is an NVIDIA Founders version.

My Sim computer is an i7 running at 4.5GHz.  From the Windows Task Manager status, here are a few performance results noted in-flight. 

The Sim was feeding graphics data at 4096 x 2160 @ 30Hz resolution to the RTX-3090 GPU, which in turn, was driving via Display Port optical cables to each HDMI input on the three Optoma ZH406ST Laser projectors, for a 210 degree wrap-around display. 

The Sim was Running Prepare3D v4.5, Sliders about 2/3 the way up.  The Lisben scenery on this flight was ORBX.  The warping software I use is Pixelwix AutoBlend v4.x. Below are a couple of photos in-flight.

Other application software in use was ActiveSky, BFF Shaker, BFF 6dof Motion Software, SIOC TQ control software, running Sim-Avionics v1.96 for the 737-800 Flight Model.

The i7 CPU was running around 37% capacity.

The RTX-3090 was running at 63% capacity, with a GPU temperature around 69 degrees C.

My bottle-neck at this point is the interface cables going from the RTX-3090 to the Projectors.  I am seeing an occasional mis-alignment between the projected displays, which quickly corrects itself.  I think this has to do with the slow Refresh rate of the cables going to the projectors. I plan on replacing the DP/HDMI optical cables with an Active Display Port-to-HDMI Adapter rated for 4K 60Hz, and use a matching wired HDMI cable to the projectors rated for 4k at 120Hz.  My projector cable lengths are 25 feet.
I am hoping that this change will eliminate the occasional display alignment glitch.

This mis-alignment is not very prominent, and typically occurs during a turn, when there is a lot of graphics data to process.  If you were flying the Sim, you may not even notice it, as it quickly corrects itself, as it only shows on the "blended section" of the projected display.   The other areas are coherent and sharp.  Anyway...  I hope to eliminate it entirely.

Some of you may notice some blending artifacts in the photos below.   This is a first effort of Grid Alignment on the warping software.  I plan on doing a much better job of fine-tuning the blending in the coming weeks.

It also may be the case that the Sim computer is a limiting factor, but its processing performance as shown in Task Manager doesn't seem to indicate that.

In conclusion, the RTX-3090 GPU is doing a very nice job of handling the 4k display data for Pixelwix to process.  Overall, I am pleased with this graphics card.  In addition, I am very pleased with the new Optoma ZH406ST laser projectors. 

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

bernard S

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

Nice write up about your setup, didn't think I ever see such a nice home flight simulator. You're definitely pushing the envelope.

I do have a question about the RTX 3090 FE VRAM on the backside of the PCB that doesn't get active cooling from a/the fan. If your GPU temps are 69C, what are your temps for the system unit (the box), along with the CPU temps?

Additionally, what are your ambient room temps, as well as the location of the box? I only ask because through my years of trial and error I learned that ambient cooling or input temps mean a lot.

So much that I put a portable air conditioner (AC) pumping cold air into the intake fans of the box (the same AC unit also pumped air into the sim from the top). Even though the whole room was AC cooled by a different AC unit, the box was in a rack which kept the surrounding air spacing cooler; otherwise, there would be sweating.

Anyway, I am just curious how this would affect your setup if you did something similar? With your GPU VRAM putting out (or being affected by) heat on one side without a fan(s) for cooling, it'd be interesting too see how that changes things...along with pumping cold direct air into the box per se....

Kind Regards,

John

PS looking forward to your next video, and don't worry about you not being all that good yet. You'll get better as you go.  ;D
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments John.  I have plenty of cooling going into the PC, and CPU temp is acceptable.  I think this mis-alignment issue has more to do with the refresh capability of the cables that are restricting the RTX-3090 to 30Hz.  At this point, I am trying 3840 x 2160 resolution. 

Yesterday, I received my new Display Port adapters and HDMI cables that are suppose to support 4k @ 60 Hz.  Well...   They did not, and the 3090 would not allow setting up a 4k resolution higher than 30Hz.  This issue troubles me, as the adapter and cables support 60Hz.

More testing to do on this matter, and more investigation needed.  I'm going to contact someone at NVIDIA to see if they have any ideas why this RTX-3090 Founders card will not support 4k resolution higher than 30Hz.

I was hoping that someone else on this Forum was running a RTX-3080 or 3090 and could comment on their setup.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

n4208t

Mike,

Not sure if this helps you or not but I am running a 3080 and have had no problems running 4K at 60 hz on two monitors (34 inch Samsung and 24 in Dell.  I fly in VR now and the HP Reverb runs at 90 hz with no problem.

I have been running an i7 with 64 gb RAM though I just went (yesterday) to a new motherboard running an i9 with 64 gb of new higher speed RAM.

I have no problems running MSFS, X-plane 11 and P3D with high to ultra setting with only an occasional stutter (with the i7)  Have not had the chance to test the i9 yet.

Could it be a setting or something with the Optoma projectors?

Steve

sagrada737

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to comment...

I talked with Optoma tech support and got some new information on the 4k input to the ZH406ST projectors.   Their User Documentation states that for 4K input HDMI-2 port into the projector should be used.  This is what I was doing, and confirmed with previous tech support calls.  However, in my last contact with Optoma, the service tech indicated that HDMI-1 input port should be used for 4k.  I did that and I was able to configure NVIDIA as 4k @ 60Hz.  The resultant projected image quality seems greatly improved. 

However, I am now having an issue with P3D v4.5 showing multiple GPUs, and it crashes.  So, that is what I am sorting out today.  It may be that I should delete the P3D cfg files and start fresh.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate