Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
111 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 111
Total: 111

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-800 Arduino X-Plane Build

Started by kurt-olsson, September 06, 2015, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Quote from: RayS on September 16, 2015, 09:21:22 AM
Quote from: kurt-olsson on September 15, 2015, 12:58:59 PM
Will have to sand the buttonholes...

...for some reason I read that a little different. Need more coffee :-)

Hahaha sand the buttholes!!!

kurt-olsson

Rays:

I looked for that pcb material but i didnt know the name for it. Wish now that i had seen it earlier...
I will try to implement next module with both the pcb and the wires you linked. It will also be easier since the mcp is so wide, other modules will hopefully be smaller size.

Thanks for your tips, really appreciate it!

kurt-olsson

kurt-olsson

Knobs and vs wheel installed!Just the autopilot disengage left and then all the components is mounted.

kurt-olsson

Finally my mcp is coming to an end! Thanks to the forum i switched to usw awg22 cables and that + serialconnect all the grounds was the final solution. Everything is in place, just nedd to hook up the microcontroller and make led extensions to the max7219 drivers.

I ordered the mcp and afis casings + the efis panels from simworld today!

This project is having momentum right now!

Trevor Hale

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

kurt-olsson

Quote from: Trevor Hale on October 05, 2015, 03:45:24 AM
Great Job Kurt, Looks awesome.

Thanks!

Ive got all the buttons and some leds connected to the teensy! Need to buy some more wires before i can finish it off

kurt-olsson

Its alive!!!!

Its so coooool! First time i have flown a hardware mcp. All buttons and switches work.
More ledsdisplay to finish and then final moment of the backlight.

kurt-olsson

i probably will need to put some ducktape around the leds and buttons do prevent light-bleeds. but thats a small problem.

727737Nut

Very Cool!  Are you using your Teensy for the LED Displays as well?  For a few dollars in chips it could drive all of them off of 2 pins! :) 

Rob
737 Junkie

kurt-olsson

Quote from: 727737Nut on October 11, 2015, 05:54:49 PM
Very Cool!  Are you using your Teensy for the LED Displays as well?  For a few dollars in chips it could drive all of them off of 2 pins! :) 

Rob

Yepp! Teensy here to!
I am using the max7219 driver that you can serial connect, it has a din, clk and load pin. So three pins to rule them all! (Lord of the rings) hehe

I really like the part where i can upload to teensy without restarting the sim. Its pricelesd.

kurt-olsson

Update!

Pheeew. Lots of new stuff. Every single button and switch is now mapped and the last thing to do is the backlight multiplexing including the leds for the button titles.

One really negative thing with this mcp is that its more challeging to solder and fit tight components than actually hook it up. I hope this will be the most tightspace module on the 737, otherwise i probobly will give the hobby up... :(

Well enough of that, my leds are installed but it resulted in a strange problem with that the last daisy chained max7219 is loosing power and is unreliable.
If i skip the first three max7219 the last one shines strong and reliable so i think it is a power/daisy chain problem.

Anyone have experience with more than 4-5 max7219 in a row?

This is the problem:

kurt-olsson

Solved the LED problems.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/28526-Teensy3-1-losing-my-application

It turns out when, manually booting, the Teensy is really fast so the instanciating of the LedControl is "sortof" working. But if i put a deplay for like 1 sec and then reassign them afterwards then the MAX7219 works stable with all the serial connections. (now 6 of them)

Trevor Hale

Least you didn't have to tear it all apart to try to locate a problem that wasn't there.  Glad you solved it. ;D
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

727737Nut

Great JOB!!!  I may hit you up help with coding when I get to that point in the future.  I have some LED displays on my CIVA i will need to interface at some point.

Rob
737 Junkie

kurt-olsson

Thanks for the comments!  :)

I will be glad to help. The max7219 drivers with the ledcontrol library is supereasy. Just use print digital or chars on an indexed array with nr of devices and position of what led to write to.

It will be super for your CIVA that also includes lots of dots and both N and S,W,E if i am remembering correct.

RayS

I'm using that chip for my COMM/NAV radio project. Can't wait to see it in action!
Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Update!!!

My MCP Has started to get a complete update!

After gaining some experience in building an MCP, i removed all the wires and started from scratch!!!

What i didnt like with my old setup and how i am improving it.

Wire mess: wires right to left, now i will use two teensy, one for right cables and one for left cables. That way it will be more clear of space.

cable thickness: i used too thick cables, multithreads cables, very hard to solder and thick cables makes it tought to get some space to see anything after a while with lots of cables. Now i use superthing singlethread cable which is sooooo easy to solder!

ground: i used to go component by component. But this way it is much harder to find ground errors, bad solderings or a broken cable.
Now i wire all components with its own ground cable and then use a PCB Board to connect them, it will still only be one ground cable to the teensy board.

Max7219 cables: a mess with hardsoldered wires. Now i use a connector, that way i can remove the cables if i need to search for other errors or resolder other things. without being able to remove these cables i cannot do anything without burning the cables with the solder-tool.

Finally, i will order white Leds from Ebay. If the Simworld panel is that great, i really need to have the white leds like in the real MCP.

When i use the smaller cables, it will be easier also to attach the LED-strip that will work as backlight.

Some picture to show my mess. =)

My EFIS Panels are in the works aswell. Will post new update when i have installed the 3mm Leds.

kurt-olsson

Also. i will use Dupont cables and connectors. I have bought a tool for this. So no more taping the extensions! This makes the wires have exact length to the teensy board as well.

RayS

If you have to run several dozen, or even hundreds of wires in a small space, I use wire-wrap wire. Best thing out there for miniature work.
Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Quote from: RayS on January 18, 2016, 01:17:19 PM
If you have to run several dozen, or even hundreds of wires in a small space, I use wire-wrap wire. Best thing out there for miniature work.

Searched some youtube videos on that tool, looks nice and handy!

kurt-olsson

Pheew

All wires now with correct color codes, some left to do but man, this turned out 200x better than my old mess. Now i have full control of maintenance if some problems occur.

kurt-olsson

Pain in the a**...

Drilling holes in a rotary switch is NOT fun...

kurt-olsson

Speachless... I can just sit and look at it for hours...
NEVER experienced quality like this in a product. The switches and everything is so robust.

First mission is to create a fourth leg since it got chopped! Need to secure it in a wooden plate so there is no risk of tipping.

kurt-olsson

The build continues...
Bought myself a 737-300 throttle quadrant.

Step 1 : clean it. I will remove aa much as i can but will not dissassembly the whole quadrant.
I also have to make a temp stand for it since the leg was cut to agressivly.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate