Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
128 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

MIP Dimmer Panels

Started by Coco737, December 06, 2017, 07:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coco737

Couldn't see these files anywhere (never looked too hard)  ;) So made them myself. Hope it saves someone a bit of time.

The Aspect file is the rar file.   
cutting panel size 150mm by 100   5mm acyrlic.

10 degree envgrave bit with a .3mm depth
2.9mm end mill for pockets and profile
3.5mm pockets for the switch covers and the potentiometer nut
5.5mm cut profile.

ifeliciano

Cool. Can you show a closeup pic of the engraving? I've not been successful at engraving with a CNC yet.

Coco737

What is it about the engraving that you are having a problem with?

Coco737

First I record my machine Zero in case I have a problem then I cut the panels out. Then I make a pocket for them to fit tight into. Then I engrave. As you can see from the pictures they are not perfect but I feel they are good enough for me. I just have a chinese 6040 and I like it a lot but if I have a better cnc I would only go down 0.2mm but hey ho you can only work with what you have

ifeliciano

Quote from: Coco737 on December 06, 2017, 10:23:59 PM
What is it about the engraving that you are having a problem with?

MY feed and speeds are probably the main issue. I'm running low speeds 8k RPM 762mm/min with .15 DOC with a 30° v-bit .15mm tip.
Also I dont have a good single line font that is close to MS33558 or Futura. 8000rpm is the lowest my spindle will go.

Coco737

MS33558 is freely available in the net. I run at 20k for engraving with a 20mm/s feed and 17k for profile with a 50mm/s feed. But you can play about with them in my opinion getting the bed level is key.I don't v carve single line fonts I just use true type and the software does the work

ifeliciano

Quote from: Coco737 on December 08, 2017, 05:13:11 AM
MS33558 is freely available in the net. I run at 20k for engraving with a 20mm/s feed and 17k for profile with a 50mm/s feed. But you can play about with them in my opinion getting the bed level is key.I don't v carve single line fonts I just use true type and the software does the work

Right, i do have the fonts, but they are TTF instead of Single line. What CAM program do you use to create the engraving toolpaths? 

ifeliciano

Never mind. My old brain has blocked out the other thread where we chatted about this stuff already..DUH!

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=6734.0

Fcoq

I think the problem was the acrylic .......
we would say seeing the photos that the plastic melts around the mill.......i'm right?

ifeliciano

Quote from: Fcoq on December 10, 2017, 03:21:37 AM
I think the problem was the acrylic .......
we would say seeing the photos that the plastic melts around the mill.......i'm right?

Franck, I use cast acrylic. No, its not melted on the bit, but there is chip re-adhesion or re-welding in the engraving itself, because the v-bit is not ejecting the chips properly. Usually I need to run the program twice to clean out the engraving.

I just need to play with the depth of cut, feed rate. and spindle RPM. Also need to understand the V-Carve tool path better.
The attached image is an exaggeration of what im usually getting. I usually only go max depth of .2mm in this one, I went .5mm deep with a 30° engraving v-bit

Coco737

I use aspire 4.0 for the design and toolpaths

ifeliciano

Quote from: Coco737 on December 11, 2017, 06:36:16 AM
I use aspire 4.0 for the design and toolpaths

Thanks Colin. I have V-Carve Pro 9 and Fusion360. Slowly learning along those CAM packages.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate