Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 07:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
47 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 54
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Different kind of topic - what to do now?

Started by kattz, May 22, 2021, 07:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

Two years ago, I started on the hobby project of a lifetime.  Like others, a B737 sim.

Then last year, my wife, who has secondary-progressive MS, was sick and in the hospital for two months, and has been bedridden since.  BTW, the sim was HER idea...

And then Covid - not for us, but how it affected everything.  2020 was the "lost year".

Or was it?

Six weeks ago, I was struck with a near-fatal bloodborne infection from who knows where, and spent a week in hospital and 4 weeks in a skilled nursing facility.

I lost 40 lbs, my stamina, will to "do", and the experience has left me a hollow person.

Now, I also require a 3-level spinal fusion as well, so now 2020 and 2021 are both lost years. I won't be able to lift more than 5 lbs until after Jan 22.

I'm 55.  56 in Aug.  My daughter is 14.  Just for reference.

What's happened is that I no longer give a damn about the sim.  And I don't see that changing.

I have $20K+ in new-in-box FDS items and another $20K in OEM parts.  It's all here except seats, J-rails, the floor fabrication, and the control wiring.

If someone backed a truck in the driveway and handed me $25K, I'd be relieved to see it gone. No joke.  Maybe even less.

What's wrong with me?  I mean it, the desire is finished, I could give 2 s---ts.

Where to go now?

Thanks,

Kevin

bernard S

heres the kicker bud... and normally in most cases i would say fk it move on.. but  this i do not think is best choice ... what is going to be your motivator outside all the crap you got going on?? who says you need finish the bloody thing ? .. take a deep breath pull your socks up and get on with it ..this an easy out .. and bud what i know of you ..thats not you ..keep.this shit up and i will pop up.there and knock you up side the head :-) .

kurt-olsson

Sorry to hear about the hard times. But as you said, you are only 56 years. You have many many decades left to pay attention to hobbies.

Let it sit there for a good period of time to see if (when hehe) your motivation returns.

I have wanted to sell my sim multiple times when life makes you busy with other stuff but i always end up glad i kept it.

Sim building dont have a end date like work objectives/assignments. :)

FredK

Take a deep breath.

The priority is to get well....both you and your wife!

Just focus on that.

Revisit the sim decision next year.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jackpilot

As Fred said concentrate on getting well, unless you need the money there is no rush to flush your dreams.
We all know that fighting back is easier said than done.
But hold on tight and keep in touch with your Sim Pals.

Jack

Jack

Mach7

Hey Kevin,

I am sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch, but things will get better for you...they always do...even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

Don't worry about the sim...just do what i do when I get fed up and frustrated, or even bored of the project...I just close the door and leave it be for a couple of months and then go  back to it.

Look at the sim build as a game of chess...make a move...then take a couple of months to think about the next move.

Give it some time....don't get rid of all of your hard work right away...sleep on it for long while and revisit it when there is not so much going on in your life.

Regards

Jim

sagrada737

Hello Kevin,

I think I am not wrong when I say...  We have all gone through various hardships in life during the course of our Sim Projects.

Personally, I can deeply relate to what you are going through.  My son was an excellent and accomplished pilot, on track to become an Airline Pilot.  He had over $100K invested in his training.  Then, out of the blue, he was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of MS.  It literally changed his life over night.  Here is a vibrant young man in his early 40s, a beautiful wife and three kids -- then his world fell out from under him.  But only for a season...

After multiple stays in the hospital, and many blood transfusions and other treatments, his MS is not gone, but stabilized.  What made a huge difference for him, was that he never gave up.  Instead, he steadily worked on regaining his strength and bodily control (MS can be devastating physically). In fact, one thing that can combat MS is to exercise, and exercise he did.  He has completed many marathons and a couple of Iron Man competitions, now in training for his third half-Iron Man event.

Now... It is true that MS is not cookie cutter, and affects people differently.  The point I want to share with you is to NEVER give up.

As far as our Sim Projects go...   At times...   We all have been only steps away from tossing the whole thing in the dumpster!  That is the very nature of BIG projects, and a full-scale 737 Sim Project is no different.

The reality of our Sim Projects is that they are money pits.  We don't build a full-scale Sim to make money.  We may tell our wives that it is a good investment, but the truth is, we will never get our money back out of our investment in both time, our labor, and parts/material.  That's just the way it is...

The advice thus far on this thread is sage...   Don't sell your Sim Project unless you absolutely need the money.  If you do need to sell it, don't give it away for nothing as there is some value for what you currently have.  Unless otherwise needed, the best thing is to put your Sim Project aside for a season while you go through these trials presently in your life.  Put your Sim Project on ice until you have the time to stabilize matters in your life.

Since you have had such a massive change in your family's medical situation, it is very important to reassess your priorities and make a new plan for your life that deeply considers short term issues to keep the boat afloat, and longer term planning to help give you and your family a sense of direction and hope. Most of all, don't try to tackle all this by yourself.  Reach out to others for help -- they will be there.

During times of crisis, it is valuable to talk with others about what you are going through.  Such communication can be the best medicine of all in order to keep your faith strong.  In reality, faith is the only thing that allows any of us to cling to hope -- especially in times of crisis.  I'm sure that others on this Forum would agree...

That said, if you need someone to confide in, just ask, as most all of us here would be happy to chat with you and try our best within practical ways to lift your spirits.

This Forum is not necessarily the place for this kind of discussion.  I thank Trevor for allowing your post and related replies.  This simply means that you must for a season, change gears and adopt a new mindset.  If it is meant to be, your Sim Project will be waiting for you when you come out the other side of your trials.

PM me and we can arrange a way to talk.

Best Regards,
Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

kattz

I'd like to thank everyone on here for the kind words of wisdom and support. It came at a time when I really needed it.

The sim is not going anywhere and I'm still working on it and every day life gets better with God's  help. At least now I'm out of my funk thanks to everyone here as well as others who have been very supportive! Thanks again to everyone and thanks to Trevor for allowing me to post my initial post.

Regards,

Kev

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate