Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 12:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
463 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 465
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 463
Total: 463

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Where did it all start?

Started by Sean, November 28, 2009, 12:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I always wanted to fly aircraft when I was a lad. Or ATC. Nothing else.

When my eyesight started to deteriorate at the age of 12, little did I know then that my career in aviation was destined never to be.

Working a 'normal' job, I got my PPL and enjoyed buzzing around the UK skies most weekends.

Back then, my home base, Newcastle (EGNT) was a GA friendly place. It was a fairly busy regional airport, with the usual mix of schedule flights to the European hubs and the charter boys off to the Med. ATC were (and still are) very accommodating to us in our 'spam cans'. Many of them flew privately themselves and they would think nothing of mixing GA and commercial together. Back then GA did not have to move out of the way for inbound commercial traffic. They would simply be vectored further out to achieve the correct spacings... "Speedbird 13 Juliet, you are number 2 to a Cherokee on a 2 mile final"

There was a great flying school and a great aeroclub. Many a time you'd be in the bar after flying, sharing a drink and some friendly - always aviation related - banter with Speedbird 13 Juliet. The mix was spot on. As a wannabe, but couldn'tbe, it was the next best thing to heaven.

Then things changed. Along came the low cost operators. They wanted to land for free. But they promised lots of passengers. They got their way. GA fees trebled overnight. Before too long, those of us that were left were just a hindrance. They pulled down the GA hanger. Our aging Cherokee would fill with water. So we gave in and moved. My real world flying would never be the same again. I haven't flown for over 2 years now.

The flying school went out of business and the aeroclub closed it's doors.

Fortunately, over that ten year period, I made lots of friends, many whom went on to achieve their aim and fly commercially.

But I was now out of the loop. I liked to fly in Newcastle's controlled airspace. I liked speaking to ATC. I liked a 737 positioning for base leg 1000ft above me as I bimbled down the coast. I liked to shoot an unofficial ILS (in good weather with the trusty map up at the window). I liked to chat to the commercial pilots, the flying instructors, the controllers in the bar afterwards.

Flying from an unprepared WWII airbase, in uncontrolled airspace with a cold shed for a club just didn't do it for me.

So I turned to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. What a load of rubbish! What was the point of sitting at a desk, in a house, pressing buttons on a keyboard trying to get the most unrealistic 737 you have ever seen in the air? Oh wait, I can use Mouse as Yolk! Yippee. FS9 went in the cupboard. My flying was truly over.

Then things changed again. There's a group of people on the internet making realistic flight simulators in their garages. Haha. Daft idiots! What a bunch of losers!

But then some of them posted photographs on their websites. And videos on YouTube. Hold on Sean, those look good. That doesn't look like cardbard to me. Is that a real throttle quadrant he's pushing back and forth? No! Can't be! I needed to look into this. But keep it to yourself. Don't tell a sole. Not even the wife. I've seen One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest! Scary...

01 July 2008, 1300Z

I'm sitting in the sun in a neat little back garden in Oswestry, drinking tea after a 4 hour drive from Newcastle. Tea! TEA!! I haven't drove 200 miles to drink tea. He's even got the garage door shut! No Ian, I don't want any more tea.

1320Z

V1... Rotate.

Positive climb... Gear Up.

LNAV please.

Your the boss, Captain.

[lots of other stuff goes in here]

1700Z

[Insert biggest grin in the world here]

Thank you Ian. I think I have discovered flying again.

ian@737ng.co.uk

hello captain nixon........
i'm touched.... thanks for that, i never really appreciate what i do has that kind of affect on people because i see 'the fruits of my labours' everyday,  i guess it doesn't grab me like it does visitors.
the pleasure is all mine watching all these smiling faces enjoying themselves in the 'pit'  and sharing experiences and what i've learned on the way  ;D
but, i can relate exactly to what you are saying....been there, done that, spent a fortune and got 'priced out'.       so, sold the aircraft, sold the microlight and built a boeing  ;D    should have done it 20 years ago.      dont get me wrong, as with Sean, the interaction and 'magic' of flight really stirred me too.   but the changes that happened in UK aviation took the excitement out of it and getting in a C172 became a chore, not good  :(
but, we all move on and i count myself lucky that i found a hobby that not only fills the gap, but also
teaches me new things.   the best part is my 737 burns zero gallons an hour and it's maintanence bill per year runs into the low $100's.   and the medical requirements are if you have a pulse, you pass  ;D
finally, Sean, you are scheduled 11th December.  so , for for enjoying yourself last time,
1. no tea....... you can have the keys to the beer fridge and
2. i have to give you something that's going to make you sweat  ;D   ;D   ;D
but, i promise, you will go home even more ehtused (did i spell that right  ;D).....
seriously, thank you for the post, good to know that what i do matters and look forward to seeing you and Jason Dec.11th.
BTW, the 'bride was made up with the comment about her garden  ;)
regards ...   ian

Sean at Palma LEPA http://www.737ng.co.uk/seannixon010708.jpg
Jason in charge http://www.737ng.co.uk/jasoncarling010708.jpg
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

Trevor Hale

You see Ian, it goes to show you.  You don;t have to share your beer with someone on the first date, and they still want to hang with you  :huh: .

Awesome Stuff.  Just by inviting people to share in your hobby must really exciting.  I am sure you will all have another smashing great time on the 11th.  Makes for one heck of a great time I am sure.  We all want to see pictures of you crashing..  Erm.. I mean Landing at EGLL.

Ian..  its the same situation as why Phil Lambert isn't all that excited about the things he makes, or Nihad isn't easily satisfied with the work he does.  (It is very hard) for all of you yourselves to see the impression you create on others with all of your contributions.   If it wern't for you guys setting the bar so high..  we would all be sitting in cardboard boxes making airplane noises.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi trev.....
i was waiting until the guys had been because i had a plan  ;D
excellent day with the guys doing LPPT - LEMD and LEMD - LEPA.
and just to make you happy, here's Sean with my Christmas Beer
stock (bad part is i'm going to give most of it away  :(   )

they had a great time, really on the ball, some great flying and
planning and everything was just 'tickety boo' .
some very happy chaps left for the trip back to newcastle ........
BTW, yes that is a Mouser Catalogue  :)
now who's next ?    have a great day chaps.....
regards ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

Boeing Skunk Works

Nice stock there Ian!

I just got that catalog a couple of weeks ago. They stopped sending the full-size catalog out some months ago. I guess if you don't order a minimum amount of stuff over a period of time you get bumped down to the abridged version.

That's only about half of the regular size catalog.  :(
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

:rock: I love it Ian..

Seriously..  Looks like you guys had a ball.  Don't know how much beer will be in my future this holiday season..  Already spent too much money.  Regardless I can live vicariously through your pictures :)

As long as everyone ended back at their destination in one piece and there was a DD that's all that matters.  One of these days, I am going to hop a plane and come visit my beer drinking buddies.

Thanks for sharing, and I guess it is finally time to insert the Revolution TQ now..  :)

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

NAX228

My interest in flight simulator, I have had since the mid -80's. It's been a bit up and down, but has never been lost. I have written a post about my history of simulator ion flightsim.no, the largest forum for our interest in Norway. Cut and paste ... EDIT: + google translate ;)

My simulator history:

My first encounter with flysim, was approx. 1987, the Commodore 64 when I got a game called "Fighter Pilot". This game was so great, that it could hardly be better on the computer. I was 12-13 years old and could not think of what was to come.
For those of you who have been introduced for flysim with MSFS2004, these pictures in the link below can come as a shock, but consider how far computer technology has come  with simulators. Check the link:

The next thing that took me by storm, was the game "Kennedy Approach". This was an ATC game, where the goal was to bring down aircraft at airports or secure a safe journey through your airspace without delays or accidents. This game, I sat with for hours now during last Christmas, and had it going on, more pleasure now than back then, when at the end of the -80.. go figure. Very entertaining. A big thing with this game was perhaps the fact that communication between ATC and pilots were sampled ... we heard voices on the data. It was great stuff.
Link: [url=http://screenmania.retrogames.com/c64/03/c64_0088.html]http://screenmania.retrogames.com/c64/03/c64_0088.html

The next thing I tried me on, were FS II. The development was rapid, and I've certainly thought that "now it can not be better right?" check link ->

FS II:
http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/fsii.htm

After that I bought, maybe all-time best gaming machine, AMIGA 500. This machine had 4 processors, and something one has not seen  before or after. But it now comes to computers (why in the world has not come before?) EDIT: two years old post ;)
To AMIGA was a simulator, called Interceptor. It was pretty much what this machine was used for by me. Interceptor was silly good. A kickass game.
Interceptor:

After this I got a scooter (Honda MT-5) and started my rebelian time with the black motorcycle jacket and new friends. Computers and simulators were forgotten, and it was important to get to know and to feel the girls. It was not until 1997 that data became hot again, and what did that I would need the PC was FS 95. Not long afterwards came FS98, and things were just getting better and better. Could not believe my own eyes when Norway98 came out.

Since there have been an ongoing process, but missed FS2002. Have visited some helokopter Sims also. SAR I and II, commanche I and II, mostly just to test.

The latest Sims have you perhaps seen, but I wanted to show you the ooooold Sims, what got me turned on this hobby. In particular, I would show you younger guys what we actually thought was a fantastic time when ...
As I tend to say ... A wonderful symphony of dots and lines.
Last year before Christmas, was the latest simulator launched, and  the FlightSimClub I am a member of, Oslo Flight simulator club, had release show at the Trade Fair in Lillestrøm. I was there with a video camera and filmed the session.
The video has been lost.

Our club works and create one, or enhance the environment of the flight simulator in Norway, especially east area where we are located. It is the time of writing 56 members in the club and new members are being added. The club was started in 2000 (if I'm not mistaken). In February 2006 the club organized a FlightSimLAN at Gardermoen (FLG06) in a SAS Hanga clean. It was a great success, and it got very nice feedback from simmere from across the country. There will be a new arangement of this size in the autumn of 2007, most likely in September. This event will be held in the premises of the Armed Forces Flysamling that the club has a partnership with. We were among represented the Air sports days, and also keeps membership meetings there. What activities the club has participated in, you can find on the pages of OFKL. Photos from FLG and other club activities can be found under PICTURES.

In early November -06, we were a gang from the club that went to Lelystad in the Netherlands for and attend FlightSim Weekend. The event was held at the Aviation Museum, which was adopting a visit in itself. It was a great weekend, and very inspiring to see how well organized simmerene was. There were a number of clubs who had grouped themselves in the premises, and they conducted fellesflights with ATC (AirTrafic Control) and informed the audience about what they did during the flight. It was NOK interesting for a number publikumere, but for us who have flown a lot of online self, this was known from before. There were also numerous sales booths in the hall, and you could buy most things that have to flightsim and do there.

We stayed at a hotel nearby, Lelystad Airport Hotel, and it was a Mecca for us, which is slightly above average interested in aircraft. The airport was used for flight school, and there were several machines in the air at all times throughout the day. It was a very memorable trip that I will live for a long time.

Hehe. This was written a few years ago. There have been 2 more Flightsim LANs at ENGM and two FSWeekends.
I'll fix the bad links.
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

ChrisKLAS

Neat thread!

My interest in FS started back in 1991. I was just a tender 6th grader at the time. Had a girlfriend (as much of one as you can have at 11 years old, anyway) at the time and would often go to her house after school. One day, her Dad was home and was on the computer in the basement running FS4. I was enthralled.

We had a PC at home (likely a 386 or equivalent) and I asked him if I could borrow his FS4 disk to install it on my computer. He said no. So I bided my time for a few weeks until I knew he was out for awhile, took the disk, ran home, installed it, and brought it back (i.e. stole it). I was hooked, and have been ever since.

My Mom in Kentucky still sees her parents regularly, and I've thought about asking her to get his e-mail address so I can send a pic of my cockpit, admit to taking his FS4 disk 18 years ago, and say "look what you started!!!" :)

ETomlin

Nothing cleanses the soul like confession Chris....I think you ought to do it! Great stories by all of you guys.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

XOrionFE

Quote from: ChrisKLAS on December 16, 2009, 12:08:50 AM
Neat thread!

My interest in FS started back in 1991. I was just a tender 6th grader at the time. Had a girlfriend (as much of one as you can have at 11 years old, anyway) at the time and would often go to her house after school. One day, her Dad was home and was on the computer in the basement running FS4. I was enthralled.

We had a PC at home (likely a 386 or equivalent) and I asked him if I could borrow his FS4 disk to install it on my computer. He said no. So I bided my time for a few weeks until I knew he was out for awhile, took the disk, ran home, installed it, and brought it back (i.e. stole it). I was hooked, and have been ever since.

My Mom in Kentucky still sees her parents regularly, and I've thought about asking her to get his e-mail address so I can send a pic of my cockpit, admit to taking his FS4 disk 18 years ago, and say "look what you started!!!" :)

Hey Chris,

What I would like to know is how long it took to get where you are on your sim.   I mean, you have all commercial parts it seems....it must have taken a long time to gather everything and also wondering how many hours you think you have in building it.   It looks great btw....

Sean

According to the info accompanying his YouTube videos, 6 months!

ChrisKLAS

Quote from: sean nixon on December 17, 2009, 12:03:08 AM
According to the info accompanying his YouTube videos, 6 months!

The first parts started showing up in February 2009, so I've been at it almost a year. The first few months were basically comprised of collecting pieces, though, so construction didn't commence until probably April or May.

Hours building.. I couldn't even begin to estimate. I enjoy it so much that sometimes I'll get into a project and look up two or three hours later wondering where the time went. Definitely hundreds, possibly over 500.

Money.. well, that's a topic I don't even want to think about! :-[

And yes, you're correct XOrionFE, the vast majority of the components are those that are commercially available. In fact, I purchased the MIP Bay and overhead completely finished and ready to plug in via a USB cable. I just don't have the time, nor the patience, to spend hours and hours soldering wires from I/O cards to LEDs, switches, and the like. Some people love it... I don't. I'd rather spend my time flying!

Even with using mostly commercial components, there's still been a ton of rewarding work outside the realm of plugging a USB cable into a computer. One of the most rewarding projects was actually taking two old CB radio microphones that I picked up from a CB store for $5.00/pair, modifying them to work with a PC soundcard, mounting them in the cockpit, and being able to hear the sound come through the ceiling mounted speakers when someone talks into it. Setting up the 4-channel sound system and lighting system (under glare, AFDS, glare wing, map) all with functional dimmer knobs and panels has also been a real treat.

Let's put it this way.. there's still plenty to do to keep me busy for a LONG time!

NAX228

Someone actually recorded a video from Fighter Pilot from the good old c64:

Fighter Pilot Digital integration 1984

quite advanced vs. the earliest FS versions. A bug made it impossible to land though :D
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate