Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
466 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 506
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What I got, What I got! WAY OFF TOPIC...lot's of photos.

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, December 30, 2009, 02:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

This is what I've been longing for for the last 29 years ever since I saw and heard Lindsey Buckingham play this on the Tusk album.

If you're not familiar with Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham and Nicks joined the band in '74, but he was still playing a Gibson Les Paul. He had a difficult time finger picking this guitar as the neck width is norrower than the Turner guitar.

Rick Turner (used to run sound for The Grateful Dead in the '70's) approached him in '77 and asked him what he wanted in a guitar. Lindsey responded by saying he wanted something that sounded similar to an LP with more 'bite', but easier to play like a Fender Telecaster with a slightly wider and fatter neck.
Rick Turner produced this Model 1 in 1978, and the rest is history.

He has used this guitar for every album since (and his solo albums) and all live performances. It is the most versitile and best playing guitar in the world. This is a rather opinionated statement, but it is shared by anyone who has ever picked one up and played it. I have not spoken to one owner who has disagreed. Ever.

This has pretty much put an end to any guitar buying I might have needed down the road.

It has an on-board para-metric EQ with sweep function, 18V preamp, coil splitting for the unique hand-wound Turner Rototron pickup, Peizo pickup mounted under the bridge with blend knob, hand carved two piece (longitudinal, back half & front half) solid Honduran mahogany body, Planet Waves auto-trim tuners,
Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, solid brass nickle plated proprietary stop piece, Schaller roller bridge, all CTS pots, shielded wiring, five ply laminated neck and headstock, etc., etc., etc., etc.....

This is the Bently of hand made guitars by a master luthier and it was worth every penny and sounds like a million bucks.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Wow,  nice!   I see you are a man of many talents.  Never would have guessed a guitar player though....maybe a Theorbenflugel but not a guitar...haha

BTW - Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands.   Fine taste in music you have....

Boeing Skunk Works

Thanks! I nearly fainted when I opened the case. I haven't even played it yet, but I'm fixing to here in a few minutes.

Trevor Hale

Then Might I ask how you know what it sounds like?  LOL  I am so very happy for you Mike, especially after waiting 29 years to get something like this.

Good for you..

Congrats!
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

Listen to anything Lindsey Buckingham plays. You'll hear this guitar.

I finished playing now for about 15 minutes. When I had it dialed in and the sound balanced, and didn't make any mistakes, I couldn't tell if it was me or Lindsey playing.

I just don't have the words for what this sounds like. You'll have to listen to FM to hear it.

Thanks Trev.

XOrionFE

Ok...now youve done it...

We want you to record your rendition of Big Love and post it :-)

Trevor Hale

I must admit, I was never really "IN" to music, but I do love listening to music. Therefore I must say, I am not familiar with that artist..  Although that could be my age too ROFL.

Regardless, by the way you described it, I am sure it sounded wonderful.  I could sit and listen to someone play the guitar RAW, for hours..  One of those sounds that just give you tingles.

Listening to an acoustic around a camp fire though is by far my favorite.

All the best with your new toy.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

Quote from: XOrionFE on December 30, 2009, 04:41:09 PM
Ok...now youve done it...

We want you to record your rendition of Big Love and post it :-)

I didn't say I was Lindsey Buckingham!

I'm afraid I don't fingerpick that good. Not even close. If I can make it through 'Landslide' without a mistake I'm having a good day.  :idiot:

when acting as a wave

:fire:

Man, what I would give for one of those!!!! Lindsey Buckingham is a phenomenal guitarist and I've recently been inspired by him to go further with my fingerpicking, as I too hate using a pick, and have done from the very first time I strummed a guitar. In fact, I just put the classical down for a few minutes to read the forum. (I finally managed to train my fourth finger to follow my third today when picking quickly, so less tiredness in my hand now ...)

But I digress.

Wow. I'd dearly love to play one of those. I'd imagine it'd be the definition of perfection for all those parts I need to fingerpick on the electric but struggle with various clangs and whatnot on the Les Paul whilst doing so.

Dean.

Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Boeing Skunk Works

It's a lot easier to finger pick that an LP. Just slightly more room between strings. It's hard to see, but easy to feel.

Hard to believe the sound that comes out of this guitar!

Joe Lavery

I Don't see a control yoke or a throttle quadrant, how do you fly that thing ;)

Congrats, surely a man of many talents   :idiot:

Regards, and a Happy New Year,

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

ETomlin

Mike, nice axe!

When I read that your gift to yourself was on its way but not sim related, I KNEW it was a guitar (or a custom amp), but I wouldnt have guess this particular guitar. I figured it was some original Strat or Tele for some reason....but anyhow, it's still a very nice guitar. I dont play nearly as much as I used to but I too would love to check this one out myself, although it's totally not my style, but then again you have so many options with this one machine that it's very versatile. I once had an Epiphone that was neck thru and pull-push pots (four of them that split the two gibson humbuckers into single coils) and the action was to die for. For some stupid reason (a trade for some rack equipment) I traded it back to the guy I got it from (as a trade for a Fender Texas Special that had an issue with the B string fret buzz that I couldnt get to go away). I should have held onto that joker, it was a lot like you Turner regarding playability and versatility, except the bridge pickup and self tuners naturally ;-)

Have fun with it!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jackpilot

Please Mike, a short and sweet audio sample....
Now, we are "hooked" and drooling, this might be THE wav. file!! of 2009.. HURRY...no time left.

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

I'm afraid I'm not going to make that deadline. I'm still at work for a few more hours and have no recording gear set up at home.

I'm thinking of retiring the 1/2" 8 track machine for good and moving into digital, but probably not until Spring.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on December 31, 2009, 01:00:13 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

I'm afraid I'm not going to make that deadline. I'm still at work for a few more hours and have no recording gear set up at home.

I'm thinking of retiring the 1/2" 8 track machine for good and moving into digital, but probably not until Spring.
[/quot]
Hi Mike. I switched a couple of years ago and have not been sorry. I was playing with digi for a long bit finally decided to switch. it has it's advantages! Drop me a line if you want to chat about it.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate