Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
477 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 506
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 477
Total: 477

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

I GOT CNC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by phil744, January 25, 2010, 02:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil744

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Been Well over a year but this morning she finally arrived, well she was supposed to land on Friday but apparently the wagon broke down! So i have been in a complete sulk all weekend but at 9:30 this morning a rather large wagon arrived outside with my new baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Will take some piccies later, problem is im stuck climbing the walls at work, ohh suddenly not feeling to well "cough", there is only so much looking out of the window you can do in one day.

Tell you somthing chaps, to say im a little on the giddy side is an understatment, this little beauty has been the missing link in the chain for so long now im itching to get started, only 2 problems to get around, 1, where the hell do i put it? 2, how the hell do I use it? never used anything like this before, but im sure i will figure it out.

Well, just thought i would let you know, and that passed 10 mins also :) only another 5:33 to wait now arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Boeing Skunk Works

Yep, you'll figure it out. Congrats on the new machine!

I know what it's like waiting for something to show up, and then having to work when it does!
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

Awesome Phil,  I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new machine.  Good for you.  I can only imagine what it is you are going through right now.  I bet you when you get the thing unpacked your going to have a blast. 

Good for you.  Please keep us updated.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Awesome Phil.   I am sure this will make your life a lot easier.  If you need any help, let me know.

Scott

phil744

Heheh cheers guys, 1 hour and forty five to go, arghhhhhh!! there are bite marks in my desk.

Popped over at lunchtime to stroke it, the machine that is, and cleared a tempoary area on a desk so at least i can power it up and have a play tonight until i build the proper bench for it.

I need to make a forming jig for the 744 throttle lightplates, i can make a jig from MDF and scrap pieces of acrylic before i start messing with aluminium and copper so somthing relativly simple to start with and get used to it, with the CNC and also the EDM im on one hell of a learning curve, but its sooooo fun  :)
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Boeing Skunk Works

What the max thickness of cut for aluminum?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

mpl330

More toys Phil - excellent!
I need to pop up and see you, have something very simple I need to bribe you into making for me  ;)

Have fun with it and share the photos
Cheers
Mike

phil744

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on January 25, 2010, 10:05:48 AM
What the max thickness of cut for aluminum?

To be honest i dont actually know, suppose your limited to what size end mill you use, same machine as mine eating aluminium for breakfast

Milling 40H8 fit in Aluminum with HEIZ CNC Router

I admit ive just thrown it onto a table for now just so i can have a play, im sat here and its now actually doing somthing, dont know what its doing but its doing somthing  :idiot: sounds ace.

Well here is the newest addition to the family, answers to the name of Mia  ;)

ivar hestnes

Thats a nice piece of machinery bud. Looks ace. Wonder if you can figure out how to use it :idiot:

phil744

jackpilot

Hey Phil that is a real pro piece of equipment,
Beware, you may end up with a backlog of special and very special orders from most of us!! :rock:

Jack

Aerosim Solutions

Ooooo you are in for such a good time with that new toy, I've had mine a couple of months now and I still can't put it down. Thoroughly recommend VCarvePro from www.vectric.com, it is awesome!!! Enjoy Phil.....

Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

fordgt40

Hey Jack, now that is a great idea for Phil`s new machine. I can think of many items, 737 fire handles come to mind immediately Phil  :)

Sorry, could not resist it. I see that you opted for the German cnc in the end, looks good and have fun

David

Wendy

Hey Phill,

Congratulations, now you can join the CNC-club.
... and if you have a question and I can answer it, I will surely do.

Happy milling.

Regards, Wendy

phil744

Heheheheheh, cheers guys :) I plan on making the fire handle tops had loads of people asking about those allready but one step at a time.....

Okay, Im not afraid to admit this......

I BROKE IT ALLREADY!!!!!!!!!!!! :idiot:

Oops, may one stress now that its not my fault, nope nothing to do with me at all, nothing what so ever i read the instructions but no where did it say "make sure the Z axis is not running in opposite mode" one would expect the Z axis to move upwards towards the limit switch to find its home position..... no....... it went down.... rather rapidly and decided to take the Y axis limit sensor with it, I know you have all watched the Simpsons especially when Homer screams and runs off, thats what i did :)

But fear not, the limit reed sensors are exactly the same parts we use at work, and there is no one about  ;) so normal service has been resumed.

Wendy, Do you fancy packing up all your belongins and moving to the UK?

Wendy

Hey Phill,

I know from first hand that you learn CNC by doing things, and yes it can go fast. In the beginning I damaged many panels and as soon as it touches the panel then you see that it is wrong... but then it is already to late... :o

Moving to the UK ? I think I'm going to miss the food and drinks in Belgium. But I sure want to pay you a visit sometime to see your workshop and the beautifull things you make.

First of to a nice holiday in Tenerife on monday.

Kind regards, Wendy

XOrionFE

I know these pains all too well.  I had one RMU for the lear I cut which had a back and front set of toolpaths.   There was about 14 tool paths total with about 8 bit changes.   I was cutting for 4 hours and was on the final 10 seconds cutting out the part when WHACKKKKKKKK.   The bit caught the part wrong because the part moved a little and snapped the whole thing right in half.  Ughhh.....

Well, I ended up making a total of 3 good RMUs but trashed another 3 in the process.   Sometimes things go well and sometimes they go really bad.    I have also broke my fair share of bits because of messing up a toolpath in the planning process.

I am happy to say I am finally getting the hang of it but took a few months of fooling around.   I am definitely looking forward to seeing the stuff you come up with using your machine Phil.   If I had to guess we are all in for some real treats!

Scott

when acting as a wave

Nice looking machinery!

And speaking of breaking expensive tools, I'm finally going to be trusted enough to use my father's old CNC in my own workshop/garage, which will be great. I've had a fair bit of experience on the larger CNC that he has, but I'm very much looking forward to working on entire projects by myself - from the designing, to the drawing, to the cutting.

I've found in the past few months, that (despite dismal math results at high school!) I actually love working with all the calculations, but at the moment I don't get the chance to do so as often as I'd like. But the more mistakes I'm given the chance to make, the more I'll learn.

For there ain't nothing quite like wasting countless hours on a failed project to teach yourself a lesson or two  :)

Dean.
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate