Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 11:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
44 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-300 tq parking brake replacement

Started by kurt-olsson, March 27, 2016, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Hi.

I have tested the cables so they make contact. I noticed that the cables has been really worn and oxidated. But i cleaned and checked contace for the parking brake.

Shouldent the light turn on if i test with a 9v battery? I think the bulb might be broken...

Anyone know how to get the bulb out and which cables are - and +?
What does the middle cable do?

727737Nut

Bulbs are 28vdc,  Use a DVM to check for resistance on the bulb if you can't see the filament inside    There is no + or _ for light bulbs but the bulb housing could be the gnd which is sometimes the case in aircraft lighting.
737 Junkie

kurt-olsson

Turned out that the bulb was busted. I broke the glass while trying to get the lamp out. I am starting to replace all the wires except the ones in the handle and toga buttons. I will replace it with a 12v lamp.
Question is where to find a lamp like that? Hm...

FredK

Search the web for "panel indicator lights".  I replaced the red lens and bulb with one that I sourced from Radio Shack here in the US.  Looks very much like the original.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

mickc

Kurt,

To answer your question, on that lamp in particular (as it is wired in the aircraft)

The middle terminal (1) is positive, terminal (2) is switched ground to activate the light, and terminal (3) is constant ground for the push to test function.
The terminal numbers are printed on the side of the lamp body.

Depending on what I/O cards you are using to control the light, you can switch the positive /negative side, as Rob said, the bulbs have no +/- side like an LED has.

If you only broke the actual bulb getting it out, these are easy to find, they are T3-1/4 Bulbs with a Ba9s base. 

These are bayonet bulbs, so you need to push them in slightly and turn 90 degree to remove them

kurt-olsson

Thank you for your answers, much appreciated.
With the new lamp it will be easier to test and hook up.

I have also removed the newly installed cables in the picture since i dont need them (as you said Fred).

Now i have removed the trim cutout panel snd will try to hook it up and replace cables.

navymustang

You may notice that the lens gets rather warm if left on for extended periods of time. I solved that by replacing the incandescent bulb with an LED bulb that uses the same base.  I can now leave parking brakes on for hours and no heat form the bulb at all on the lens.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

kurt-olsson

Parking brake set! :)

Like you said, it does get hot. :)
Push to test works to.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate