Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
116 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

X-Plane and Dual controls

Started by XOrionFE, August 30, 2013, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Just an FYI for those looking to try XP.    I just realized while trying to configure the FO toe brakes that X-Plane doesnt allow (or it seems) for dual control inputs to any single function.    Not like FSUIPC in FSX.    I just noticed because my yokes and rudder pedals are linked mechanically so I only run a single pot for each axis of Pitch, Roll, and Yaw.   That said, each toe brake in my sim is a separate pot and though I have been using the captains side for all taxi operations I finally last night went to configure the copilots toe brakes and that is when I realized X-Plane doesnt support multiple pot inputs to one aircraft control function.   This means for those of you that are using seperate non linked controls...you may have an issue.   Now PFC seems to be standardized on X-Plane but they also have their own plugin for their controls so I am guessing they handle this directly through their plugin.   

Just a heads up.

Scott

rhysb

Scott,

It can be done but not on the same device. For example my rudders are not linked so it it 2 separate devices one for capt and one for F/O.

I'm guessing yours are all on the same device via USB yes?

You can assign the same function to 2 different axis' but they must not be on the same device

Hope that helps

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

XOrionFE

Quote from: rhysb on August 30, 2013, 11:05:53 AM
Scott,

It can be done but not on the same device. For example my rudders are not linked so it it 2 separate devices one for capt and one for F/O.

I'm guessing yours are all on the same device via USB yes?

You can assign the same function to 2 different axis' but they must not be on the same device

Hope that helps

Rhys b

Can you clarify a little more?  Or better yet let me see if I understand.   You are saying you can do this but the pots must be interfaced through separate cards?  SO, if I have a second Bodnar card and put my second set of Toe Brake Pots on that card it will work and accept that? 

rhysb

Ok Scott, just fired the sim up now and have an interesting find:

My rudder pedals are 2 sets of saitek rudders which I had programmed separately in xplane as left and right etc with the relevant toe brakes. This was way back when I first installed xp10. I think this was just before v10.10.
I obviously don't fly from the right side so have not used them in ages. I'm now up to date on 10.22 and guess what!

Yep right hand rudders and toe brakes do not work! Tried reprogramming and yes your right in that it will delete the other side and will only allow one command.

I guess in the updates laminar have changed that in some way? May be worth us pointing out this flaw directly to laminar?

Sorry for the wrong info but I was sure that was the way I was setup!

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Nat Crea

I love lots things about XPlane...BUT...when they go on about being so realisitc
and geared towards professional training, somethings like this just make me wonder.
Thanks for the heads up...I never actually got to calibrate the FO rudders/brakes stage.

My biggest pet hate is the stupid crosshairs in the centre of the left and right IG's.
Unless you stick a joystick card into those computers, the damn things are permanently visible...not very "Pro".

Nat

XOrionFE

Quote from: melnato on August 30, 2013, 08:58:13 PM
I love lots things about XPlane...BUT...when they go on about being so realisitc
and geared towards professional training, somethings like this just make me wonder.
Thanks for the heads up...I never actually got to calibrate the FO rudders/brakes stage.

My biggest pet hate is the stupid crosshairs in the centre of the left and right IG's.
Unless you stick a joystick card into those computers, the damn things are permanently visible...not very "Pro".

Nat

Crosshairs?   Nat, I don't have any crosshairs on my IGs.   Did you set the checkbox in renderering to default to forward no HUD view?  Something isn't set right if you have crosshairs.

But yes, the control input issue is maddening.

That is why I still have FSX running!   Now if you would only open a thread and put a bunch of screen shots and notes on how you recommend Wideview be setup on clients and server.  It is still driving me nuts.

Scott

macisaac

I think I can shed some light on the issue.   Thru the "Buttons and Joystick" menu, X-Plane has always only provided just one device per assignment.   Austin has provided that menu for easy configuration for the average user that only has one set of controls.   For sim builders that started off early in X-Plane,  we discovered a better way of communicating with the sim that allows for a unlimited assignment of the same function across multiple  devices and even systems.    The joystick menu is nice and easy to configure simple things,  but for more complex items, such as dual toe brakes,  use datarefs instead.   In the Plugin folder inside Resources, you'll fine two text files, Commands and Datarefs.   I strongly recommend reviewing these documents.  There are hundreds on commands and variables that are not options in the joystick menu.   There are already plugins that add to the list such as EFIS and HSI controls for pilot and copilot.  Check out x-plane.org for more resources.  For hardware I use Teensy.  The creator of the plugin, Paul, allows for limitless assignments of commands to those devices.  Those commands and datarefs are stored on the device and do not suffer from USB re listing or require reconfiguration when upgrade systems.   Check out Commands and Datarefs, well worth the read.   I was able to simulate the cabin pressurization system on my -300 off one $25 teensy and only datarefs and commands.

Cheers

markfire

Scott

I have wideview running really well on i5 pc's at present. No trick to the setup, I've left the wideview settings pretty much default.  Fsx settings: SP1, SP2 installed, UK2000 scenery, vfr scenery.  Running fsx at 4096/6.5 LOD.

I do find it runs better in windowed mode, but not by much. The server is an I7 (older version).

I do use the Kostas tweaks.

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/category/fsx-tweaking/
[/size]
[/size]My pcs are all limited to 30fps as the above setup.
[/size]
[/size]If I can be of any help, drop me a line.
[/size]
[/size]Mark
[/size]
[/size]

XOrionFE

Hi Mark,

do you use a dedicated server also? How many external visual PCs?

markfire

Server runs centre outside view. I have 4 clients running outside views also.

Nat Crea

Without railroading the topic,  the cross hairs are definitely there.  They are smaller in 10.21 than they were previously, maybe you just can't see them in teeny weeny TVs  ;D
(there is no option in Settings to remove either)
Nat

XOrionFE

Quote from: melnato on September 03, 2013, 03:02:49 AM
Without railroading the topic,  the cross hairs are definitely there.  They are smaller in 10.21 than they were previously, maybe you just can't see them in teeny weeny TVs  ;D
(there is no option in Settings to remove either)
Nat

Never saw them Nat, even when I was on projection.  I was using Nthusim at the time.  Something must be amiss.

Scott

Nat Crea

Scott,
Ill have to a shot tomorrow...I'm not as crazy as Mau says  :)

Nat

macisaac

The cross hairs in question might be the mouse click region that x-plane provides when there isn't a joystick detected on the master x-plane machine.  Try connecting an unused joystick to that machine and reboot x-plane. See if that helps.

Cheers

Nat Crea

QuoteThe cross hairs in question might be the mouse click region that x-plane provides when there isn't a joystick detected on the master x-plane machine.  Try connecting an unused joystick to that machine and reboot x-plane. 

That's my point...its crazy that one has to stick joysticks
in every client to hide them.

Nat

XOrionFE

I don't.   I only have Joystick cards (Bodnar) connected to the master.   Clients have nothing.   No crosshairs. Could it be the warping software causing it?  I didn't have any issue with nthusim so I am guessing that's not it but all I can think of at the moment.   Are you using the x737?  Do you have the plugin totally deleted? 

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate