Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 27, 2024, 10:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
28 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 33
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Need some feedback, please - sim location

Started by kattz, September 03, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

I need help with placement of the sim in the house.

This is an FDS shell fwd, and an OEM rear bulkhead and door with jump seat aft.

It will sit on a 13" high floor to clear all of the "bits" hidden out of sight.

The ceiling is 89" high, except the red hashed area which is 79" high.

My favorite is the rev 4 drawing.  Two 20A circuits and Ethernet.

The circular "screen" is a 270° 12' dia screen -

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

Kev

Ed

I like 4 as well. Seems to make the best use of the space you have and leaves lots of space for other things. Also ..lots of room to pull the set up back for maintenance. Entrances aren't compromised and easy access to washroom facilities. Number 3 might be a bit too tight, may also get warm in smaller room. 1 and 2 would work..lots of room for maintenance..but doesn't appear to make the best use of the area you have and tend to compromise entrance ways.

This of course is only my opinion..I am by no means any kind of draftsman or designer, just offering my thoughts.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

n4208t

FYI - different sim (King Air) but I built mine in a spare room not being used and I agree with Ed.  It gets warm in there ... actually to the point where I cut a hole in the wall and moved the two computers to a different room for reduced heat and better airflow. And while it fits and is flyable, moving around in there is tight so do yourself a favor and learn from others (mine) mistakes.  :-)  Number 4 looks good to me, too.

Good luck with the new build.

Steve

FredK

I agree with Steve's comment that you need to consider temperature control for the room as a priority.  A cockpit with multiple projectors and computers will generate uncomfortable heat.  Better to think about how to deal with that now in the planning phase rather than later. I would have done things differently with my own cockpit if I had taken such into account early on.

I am using a Tripp-Lite SRCool12K modular cooling unit for my cockpit. The main advantage of this type of unit is that it dissipates the condensate into the exhaust stream.  So all you need to do is run a simple duct through an external wall for hot air exhaust....no condensate drain necessary.  Also, it is designed such that you can easily duct the cooling stream where you want it....for example, directly into your cockpit cabin and/or your computer arrangement for equipment cooling.  Another advantage is that the unit is not all that expensive....much cheaper than other cooling methods.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

kattz

This lower level of the house is always below 68° in the summer and in the high 50's in the winter.  And I've also got a small AC spot cooler that can do heat and AC that I'm going to duct into the 'pit.

RayS

After converting the garage to a sim hangar I quickly realized the need to get rid of the heat from the 3 projectors.

Installing a simple bathroom fan in the ceiling venting into the attic did the trick. The garage has a mini-split system but in the summer it needs help as all the heat collects at the ceiling.
Ray Sotkiewicz

sagrada737

In the case of Kattz's setup, drawing #4 makes the most sense to me.   You need to consider the fact that you will need to access ALL parts of your Sim. 

Cooling of the Sim Room is critical.  Seriously consider how you will vent/cool the cockpit.  Nothing worse for you and especially your passengers is a stuffy cockpit.  Fred's comments on the TrippLite IP Cooler (120VAC) is valid.   I have one of these in my Sim Room and it is invaluable!  This particular IP Cooler does not produce any moisture that has to be drained, rather it exhausts the moisture outside through its 6" diameter output tube, that can be routed through the wall.

You have two (2) 20 Amp circuits.   That's good, but it may be marginal if you consider the IP Cooler, or similar type of cooling assist.

Regarding the three (3) projectors you will be using.   Since your ceiling is 89" high, that means that your projectors will be very close to the ceiling.  This means that you will definitely need some kind of venting to remove the hot air from the exhaust port on each projector.  In addition, the "projector cluster" is tight fitting, hence you will need baffles to direct the hot exhaust away from ajoining projectors.  Since hot air rises, you will need to circulate and exhaust out of the Sim Room all that hot air that will accumulate near the ceiling.  If you don't do this, you may encounter "flickering" of the projected image (depending on projector type).  Most projectors have a mode that elevates the internal fan for better cooling.  However, the heat produced by the projector bulb is a given, and this needs to be evacuated from the Sim Room.  Just circulating HOT air around the Sim Room is not the answer!  By whatever means, you need to exhaust the hot air out of the Sim Room!  Take this seriously.

Keep in mind that you will need space above the projectors (about three (3) inches) for proper ventilation.  Otherwise you could run into overheat problems.

Regarding mounting of the three projectors...   Keep in mind that you may need to adjust the X-Y Tilt of the projectors. Even if you solidly mount the projectors and perform a grid calibration.  You can expect the projector-to-projector alignment to shift over time.   Being able to adjust this is very convenient, as it will save you from having to do another calibration.  Also, Grid Calibration (however it is done) will not yield a perfect warp and blend.   You can get close, but my advise is to get it as close as you can, then enjoy the wrap-around display and fly your Sim.  It is a pipe dream to think you can get perfection with low cost, bulb type projectors.

Also, from within the cockpit, you will need to see ALL of the Windows Desktop prior to warping of the display, which mainly applies to the Flight Sim software, eg. P3D, or FSX.  You can also add a 4th monitor which can make managing your Sim related software a bit easier, eg. File management; Grid Calibration, etc.  Trying to do this from within the cockpit can be a hassle, due to cockpit obstructions.  The native display from a projector on a curved screen produces a curved "horned" type of display.   You need to see most all of that display, so don't make your screen too small, such that you can't see the upper/lower part of the Windows display.   If you decide to add plexiglass on your windows, that will further restrict your being able to see the Desktop from your cockpit.

Just a few thoughts for consideration...

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

kattz

Hi, Mike,

I can get the hot air out, no issue, thanks for the heads up!  I had considered 120mm flexible metal ducting (like for laundry dryer) for each projector with a high static pressure PC fan on each to pull the projector exhaust from each unit

I'm working with Art at Northern Flight Sim for the screen.  I initially wanted about 270° of view, but based on his years of experience, it's not really workable in the space that I have, as I would need five projectors.  So I've altered the plan to go to 220° which gives me the attached views.  Screed radii are shown at 6', 6.5', and 7' respectively, and three projectors.

Kev

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate