Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
172 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 172
Total: 172

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

X-Plane 10: Revenge of the Projectors!

Started by Nat Crea, February 17, 2013, 02:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat Crea

OK...tongue in cheek...but I think the "prehistoric" projector crowd can emerge from the TV bashing of late  ;D

As I mentioned earlier, I have given X-Plane a real go this time, 10 days straight...I think Im not going back  ;)

Yes there are some quirks and it is a culture shock, but there a few things that make XP a real "Simulator" in my eyes...Lighting effects are just addictive. I never flew FSX at night...now I cant stop...200 degrees of heaven.
This first video shows the instant time change feature in X-Plane...love it.
(make sure you change quality icon to high in youtube)

XP 10 Light Tests at YSSY

Maurice

Very cool but what is the native resolution of your current projectors? Somehow, this does not look like 1200x800 to me but if it is, then this will make the TV vs projector debate heat up again :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jskibo

Brother Scott (Of the monotastic order of Xpalne) converted another Monk :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

MLeavy737

Glad to see everyone switching to X-Plane.. Ya'll are about to become better pilots weather you know it or not! Well expect for Maurice and his FSX lol! :) kidding of course.

Visuals look awesome! I still cant see myself going the LCD route, especially after seeing a video like that!

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Nat Crea

Two more real dodgy videos....6yo daughter recording...no procedures, so don't even think about having a crack at me! :)

XP10 WSSS Departure

X-Plane 10 WSSS Dawn Approach

Nat

XOrionFE

Looks Fantastic Nat.    May I say also that your edge blending is barely noticeable at all.   It is really a fantastic looking display.   Warping also looks perfect.

I am glad your liking what you see in X-Plane.   I just did a flight from Phoenix to Denver tonight and the terrain below looked absolutely realistic to me WITHOUT any special scenery added.   I am sure you will find Australia to be quite beautiful as well.

Scott

rhysb

Nat,

Looks stunning, welcome to the world of xplane! Great videos too!

Hopefully you found all the Australian scenery etc?

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Nat Crea

Thanks Mike, Scott and Rhys.

Having a small quirk with my YMML addon losing taxiways, but other than that all good.

Actually think I can do better on the blend/warp...just need more time :-\

Nat

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

Just curious about what I hear in the video; which is the XP10 sound effects of the engines, wheels, brakes and touchdown screech. The sound has not changed in a long time, all the way back to version 6 that I can remember.

Anyway, is XP10 using .wav files for audio files? If so, has anyone thought about changing them to the ones from PMDG737NGX or other sound files?

Otherwise, Nat your videos look great and keep giving your daughter the camera, she is doing an awesome job at videography!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

What about my earlier question Nat ... what is the native resolution of your current projectors? This looks too good to be 1280x800.

Maurice

XOrionFE

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 18, 2013, 02:57:18 AM
Hey Guys,

Just curious about what I hear in the video; which is the XP10 sound effects of the engines, wheels, brakes and touchdown screech. The sound has not changed in a long time, all the way back to version 6 that I can remember.

Anyway, is XP10 using .wav files for audio files? If so, has anyone thought about changing them to the ones from PMDG737NGX or other sound files?

Otherwise, Nat your videos look great and keep giving your daughter the camera, she is doing an awesome job at videography!

John

Good post to start other thread on John so we dont steal Nats eh?   Sound is not so good in XP and I havent tried tackling it yet.
Scott

Nat Crea

Sorry Mau...yes WXGA. Everything looks great compressed down in pics and videos, you know that.
Plus the X_plane lighting is pin point, not blurry balls like FSX.
Try the DEMO, wont kill you...I think  :D

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on February 18, 2013, 12:30:57 PM
Sorry Mau...yes WXGA. Everything looks great compressed down in pics and videos, you know that.
Plus the X_plane lighting is pin point, not blurry balls like FSX.
Try the DEMO, wont kill you...I think  :D

Nat

Don't you know that curiosity killed the cat? :) In my case, I think that ignorance is bliss. I was going to try the XP demo just for the heck of it but I decided against it because I know myself too well :)

Maurice

nicd

Looks really good Nat, XP is looking better all the time.

Just wondering .. how does the parallax error from FSX compare to XP10.  e.g. when you were lined up on finals there .. does it seem like there is less error in XP10?

Nat Crea

@ Ben...Big Questions! :)
I really like XPlane 10 ( FSX is still good), but in a full size Sim, XP just "feels" better.
Only thing not working yet is the FDS Radios, which will be compatible soon.
Everything else in my Sim works. I dont own any CPFlight or Engravity so you  have to research over at their websites.

@ Nic...I cant say Parallax in  XP is better or worse than FSX, in fact I never really had a problem before...maybe Im just lucky. I'll take more notice next time I fly from both seats.

Nat

Bob Reed

Maybe Scott can chime in on this question?

Quote from: melnato on February 20, 2013, 01:50:54 AM
@ Ben...Big Questions! :)
I really like XPlane 10 ( FSX is still good), but in a full size Sim, XP just "feels" better.
Only thing not working yet is the FDS Radios, which will be compatible soon.
Everything else in my Sim works. I dont own any CPFlight or Engravity so you  have to research over at their websites.

@ Nic...I cant say Parallax in  XP is better or worse than FSX, in fact I never really had a problem before...maybe Im just lucky. I'll take more notice next time I fly from both seats.

Nat

XOrionFE

I think the crabbing effect is still there the same in X-Plane as it was in FSX.   Not really a function of the simulator but just eyepoint and geometry in general.   The further out you get your screen from the pilot and copilot's actual eyepoint then less severe the angle.   In my case on the TVs i brought them in closer so it actually is slightly heightened over what you get on projection which is normally an extra foot or so out than a TV.     That said, X-plane makes it really really easy to adjust it so that it is great for the pilot view if you decide to skimp on the copilot side.   This is what I am doing because it is either me alone flying or when I have guests they get the captains seat.

Scott

Nat Crea

QuoteHave you really made up your mind?

After answering Ben and Nic's last questions last night,
I fired up the Sim at YMLT (Launceston, Tasmania), chucked some rain, cloud and turbulence on...

I AM NOT GOING BACK :)

Ill take video next time, but Im not sure if it will convey the feeling you get,
finally I feel like Im flying and not just a passenger.

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on February 20, 2013, 12:06:20 PM
QuoteHave you really made up your mind?

After answering Ben and Nic's last questions last night,
I fired up the Sim at YMLT (Launceston, Tasmania), chucked some rain, cloud and turbulence on...

I AM NOT GOING BACK :)

Ill take video next time, but Im not sure if it will convey the feeling you get,
finally I feel like Im flying and not just a passenger.

Nat

just a quick question Nat. Since you started building your flight deck, how many hours do you think you have actually flown your sim? Just wondering  :)
I'm asking because I feel like I fly mine and that I'm not just a passenger even without all the niceties of XP

Maurice

Nat Crea

ohhhh...about 3 hours ;D

Seriously Mau...download the demo this weekend, gee you only have to install it on one computer, not four like me  :o
Im not twisting any ones arms.
Chuck it if you hate it.

Nat

nicd

Nat, Scott .. thanks for the info. I can see what you mean, and it's interesting to learn that it is a geometry issue not really a software one.

Hey NAT .. YMLT .. that brought a smile to my face coz I learned to fly there and have many fond memories (punctuated by some moments of sheer terror  :o)  .. look forward to see the video!!

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on February 20, 2013, 11:52:01 PM
ohhhh...about 3 hours ;D

Seriously Mau...download the demo this weekend, gee you only have to install it on one computer, not four like me  :o
Im not twisting any ones arms.
Chuck it if you hate it.

Nat

I very much doubt I would hate XP but I would probably hate seeing it in only one view in front. And since I am never planning to add 2 or 3  more computers, I'd rather not know first hand how good XP is...ignorance is bliss sometimes  ;D

Maurice

Nat Crea

A little iPhone video after today's tweaking and warping (still trying to perfect  ::) )
Take Off at ChrisK's freeware XP Sydney International...

Nat

http://youtu.be/CJCjmCwZhUQ

XOrionFE

fsaviator

My setup is finally getting finished here.  I really have to stop watching these X-Plane videos...  you're killing me
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate