Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
117 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

P3D vs. X-Plane 10.4...

Started by RayS, November 12, 2015, 11:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

Inspired by events at WorldFlight 2015 I decided to give P3D v3.0 a try in my own sim.

Several issues:
1. You DEFINITELY need a higher-end graphics card to run P3D. My GTX 660 wasn't up for the challenge... at all.. In fact, I think I heard it crying while flying P3D... and muttering something like "make it stop".

2. P3D can't go full-screen across more than 2 or more monitors. You can run it in windowed mode and stretch it but that enables some really weird stretching effect along the side. Even turning on "Enable display for Wide Aspect Ratio" still gives weird effects.

Contrast that to X-Plane, when you look to the side at a perpendicular taxiway, the taxiway will appear correctly at a 90-degree angle and remains perspectively-correct through the turn to the new taxiway.

So for now, I'm an X-Plane pilot. Unless someone has some helpful hints to address what I was seeing.  :idiot:
Ray Sotkiewicz

navymustang

P3d, like FSX has good control of camera views. It is also well documented. I would suggest that you don't want to stretch the image, what you want to do is create a camera view for each monitor and place each camera view on a separate monitor. Several of us could help you with that if needed.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

fsaviator

Ray, we can work on that when I get there!

I plan to upgrade to P3D when I put the sim back together in Washington.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

MjTom

Hello,
I think, x-plane is the future and I hope to get it to work in my homecockpit.
Every day there are new findings, which make X-Plane better.
par example "reshade", I tested it a few days ago and it´s great.
Have a look to "http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/655-x-plane-10/" and the latest, beautiful shots.

P3Dv3 will only be 2nd choice for me, the benefits of X-Plane are always more convincing.
eventually it will be understood by the software developers.
Why invest in dry bread, when you can have cake?
so long, MjTom

blueskydriver

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for pointing out Reshade. Did you know it's not just for Xplane alone. Reshade is an opengl shader (for the guys who don't know) and you use it to change the look and feel of your game using different FX files. SweetFX is an example of the ShaderFX amongst the others that are out there. I have been using the Grand Theft Auto (GTA) shader for a couple years. It only has one preset that you activate via F12 in game...that being FSX for me.

I'd like too know your opinion on framerates, rendering and overall usability of your Xplane computer based on your system setups. Are you using 3 projectors, single or multiple computers, or are you still on desktop? Additionally, what are your computer(s) configuration(s) specs; cpu, motherboard, ram and so on?

I only ask because some shaders can cause slow downs or speed things up. It all depends on the nature of the setup, so if you're seeing improvements once you added Reshade, not just visual improvements, but fluid motion without stutters or delays. Then, Reshade would be an enhancer; however, if it subtracts from the overall effect of the simulation, it would not be useful.

Finally, have you tried Reshade with P3Dv3 yet? If so, will you please provide your latest beautiful shots for it. Also, maybe make a comparison video like this one in my next post below. That way it will help myself and others make future decisions.

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Here is a good youtube tutorial:

http://youtu.be/hmTKMsQIu9w

Here is a video from someone that did test Reshade with P3D:

http://youtu.be/eIvsCAcio0k

Please thank Thomas has he brought to our attention a good useful tool, but rather then compare apples to oranges of Xplane vs P3D, it would be more beneficial too apply his idea of using Reshade on whichever one that you do have. That way it would help all users to reach the best results regardless of what simulation software they're using.

Thanks again Thomas,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

MjTom

Currently I'm testing and only compare on Desktop.
the plan: curved screen 210°, ~ 8m x 2m with 3x Benq W1080

I am a little sad, because the most advanced flight simulator (for me it´s x-plane) something goes down.

I think everyone knows the TV series:  ,,Shark Tank" (in geman "Höhle des Löwen").
.....whether real or not let's leave aside
Assumed Lockheed Martin needs money and attempts at this series of TV:
Hello, I have a 32bit application based on a 25 years old Microsoft Flightsimulator.
You must know, currently there is already a modern simulator on the market.
Please give me 10000 $ to invest in my game.

What will happen? ....the question everyone can answer for themselves

And the crazy thing is, that a lot of software developer invest a lot of time and money in FSX/ P3D.
I can not understand because it is unreal.
and It frustrates me because I have to rely on their software.

again "sorry" for my english....it´s not easy for me
so long,

Bob Reed

Ray, keep in mind Sam is using a Tripple Head To Go to get his 3 screens. So the computer is doing a single video output.

navymustang

MjTom - you need to get out of the thought process that Lockheed is a "game" developer.  The P3D product was purchased from Microsoft to support military simulation development - not gaming.  So the life span of this product as a simulation tool, not a game, should be for a decade or more.

As a simulation engineer, we use P3D in nearly all of our simulations we build.  Of the 30 or more simulators we built over the last several years, X-Plane was used in only 2 and they were research simulators, not full training systems. So welcome to the P3D community  :)
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

RayS

Wow! Lots of compelling information here!

Two things are evident so far:

1. Gotta get a Triple-Head-To-Go unit.
2. Need to upgrade my video card. (It's coming up on 5 years old)

Ray Sotkiewicz

HarryZ

Quote from: RayS on November 13, 2015, 10:08:01 AM
Wow! Lots of compelling information here!

Two things are evident so far:

1. Gotta get a Triple-Head-To-Go unit.
2. Need to upgrade my video card. (It's coming up on 5 years old)

I would strongly suggest you don't get a TH2G because it just adds a layer of latency in the sim.

You are going to get a good, high end video card.  These cards (NVidia) have the Surround View Feature and have 4 video outputs. You don't need the Th2G with these cards and Surround View does a better job without the latency.  Save yourself some money and get better performance.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

727737Nut

Ray,
Get the Reshade  John mentioned and install into x-plane and play with it.  Amazing!!  I just did and am in shock at the difference.  Also go to thread at aerosoft and look at the screenshots on page 3 or 4 :o :o :o :o  Nothing out there comes close.

Rob
737 Junkie

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

Since this is Ray's thread and I might've hijacked it a little, I am going to start a new thread entitled FSX/P3D/XPlane Visual Shader Mods. Before I do, let me agan give the credit to Thomas as he mentioned it in this thread above me. I am sorry I never posted about it until now; I just tried a shader mod called ENB Series back two years ago and never thought about discussing it...

Anyway, please post your examples and pursuits in the new thread. Rob, thank you for trying Reshade out as your opinion is highly respected, especially too me.

John

RayS

Quote from: HarryZ on November 13, 2015, 06:00:46 PM
Save yourself some money and get better performance.

Thanks, Harry~! (And my wife thanks you too.  :D )
Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate