Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
264 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 509
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Flight Illusion Brake Pressure Gauge Mods for FDS MIP

Started by sagrada737, February 26, 2014, 06:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I was aware that the standard Flight Illusion Brake Pressure gauge is too large for the FDS Brake Pressure gauge cutout, but I had in mind to make this gauge work by making some physical modifications to its form factor. 
Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Garys

Nice work Mike.

Not sure if there is a setup that you can do for the gauge, but as it is now with brake pressure going to zero when brakes released, that is not correct and would be a non dispatchable fault. With Hydraulics off it takes around 10 to 12 pumps of the brakes before they go dead which then only gets the brake pressure to drop to around 900psi at 21° Celsius. The brake accumulator will hold that pressure until hydraulics are turned back on and only then will you see the gauge rise again to around 3000psi.

Im sure you already new this but thought I would let you know in case you didn't.

Gary.

jackpilot

Quote from: sagrada737 on February 26, 2014, 06:37:51 PM
I was aware that the standard Flight Illusion Brake Pressure gauge is too large for the FDS Brake Pressure gauge cutout, but I had in mind to make this gauge work by making some physical modifications to its form factor. 
Mike
I may be wrong, but I tink that the FDS cutout is to scale as the Boeing brake pressure gauge is smaller than the standard 2".
Nat is more of an expert on that one as he chased a real gauge for years on end and finally succeded getting one on Ebay ;)
Jack

Jack

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments guys...   My main goal was to have an "active gauge" for the Brake Pressure that would fit into the FDS cutout in the MIP, which has been pointed out is the actual size in the real aircraft.

I was prompted to do this with the Flight Illusions Brake Pressure gauge to show some activity with the hydraulics, because it is hard sometimes to know if FSX is displaying "Brakes" or "Parking Brake" because it is displayed tat the bottom left corner of my monitors - hard to see from the cockpit.  The problem is that sometimes my TQ Parking Brake lever is ON, and FSX status shows brakes OFF.  I'm not sure why this occurs, but this is the issue I have.  I read somewhere else some time ago where another Sim'r had the same issue.  Hence the reason this exercise with the Flight Illusion gauge.

I understand and don't dispute the real-world functions of the 737 Hydraulics concerning the Brake Pressure function, and what the gauge is "suppose to report", but this was a way for me to see what FSX is showing.

If someone has modeled this properly, I would be interested to know what you did, and if it can still show sync with FSX.  Maybe it's not possible as the pressure should always be around 3,000 psi when hydraulics are ON, and no lower than 1,000 psi Accumulator, except when brakes are pumped multiple times.  What I didn't want was just a static gauge on the MIP.

My main goal was to have a realistic looking and "somewhat active" Brake Pressure gauge for my Sim.  From a realistic viewpoint, I might have failed in what I have done, and some might conclude - who cares.  But it's close to what I wanted.  Oh well...  All this keeps me out of trouble  ;D

I noticed my video was deleted, or got corrupted.  Here it is for reference:
Brake Pressure Gauge

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jackpilot

Mike
You should toy with your parking brake assignement because it has to be sync with FS. Mine is, but I do not remember how I did it with Interface It. I Just remember that I had to try a few things, but now whatever the position of the switch, FS syncs with it on startup.
Jack

Jack

sluyt050

Another way to get it fit is by just (carefully) cutting although the way you did it Mike looks really good.

See pictures below:
Edward

N737AG

I did it exactly the same way Edward did.

And yes, I would also love to see this gauge indicating the real brake pressure instead of just jumping up and down whenever you press or release the brakes.

Axel

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments and photos...  It is comforting to know that others have similar ideas and issues with the Brake Pressure Gauge function.

Jack - If you can remember what the offsets were that you used within FSX to ensure sync with the flight model, I would like to know what you did.

Interesting photos Edward.  Great minds think alike  ;D

I have an inquiry into FDS concerning any Offsets or values that might help the function of the Brake Pressure gauge.  I'm hoping that its operation can be made more realistic, and at the same time, show some action within FSX.  Maybe we can't have it both ways, and it just sits at 3,000 psi.  Axel - if you come up with something, please post your findings.  Thanks guys.

Mike

XOrionFE

It all look really nice but for the life I me I cannot ever recall even looking that way on a flight.   I think once one starts modeling Brake Pressure, Yaw Damper, Oxygen Guages, etc one has truly earned the wings "or perhaps maybe the label of certifiable!"  :-)

Garys

True, a high quality printout or replica would be just as good. I don't model brake pressure, but for those who choose to spend a couple hundred $ on a gauge, shouldn't it at least do what its supposed too?

Gary

fordgt40

At the risk of being certified, the Brake Pressure Gauge is actually modelled from version 1.30 of Sim-Avionics. The latest version text says

# New FSUIPC Output Function:
   MIP_BRAKE_PRESSURE=
   (2 byte - word)
   0-3500 psi
   HYD A or B pressurizes the brake system. 1000psi Precharge modelled.
   Brake Pressure Reduces after brake application if HYD pumps are OFF.
Parking Brake continues to function if Pressure > 200psi
Brake pressure only provided with AC Power
** Brake Pedals must be assigned via FSUIPC   LeftBrake  and  RightBrake  axis for effects on braking action.

If you are using SIOC then you can define an offset and code your gauge movement from the values provided by SA. I do not know about other h/w interfaces ie the FDS sys boards/interfaceIT. Perhaps Steve could advise

David

sagrada737

Hello David,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm sure that Scott meant no harm.  After all... We are ALL certifiable  :)  That's part of what makes each of our Sim Projects special - adding our own unique touch - as-it-were - doing what we want to do.  That's also why the Forum is so nice, as it encourages and sharpens us in the efforts applied to our own particular project.

Do you happen to have the Sim-A offset for the MIP_BRAKE_PRESSURE, which I believe goes in the Sim-A FSUIPC_I/O area ?  Thanks.

Mike

XOrionFE

Absolutely meant no harm.   But we all have to admit that on some level we have to be nuts.   Now I am thinking about buying a darn FI Brake Pressure guage.  :o

I have to learn to stay away from this place!

Scott

fordgt40

Scott

Go on - you know you want one really  :)

Mike

For non FDS software the offset value is determined by the user. It is just a pointer value which shows SIOC (or similar sotware) where to get the brake pressure reading. So it can be whatever you wish within the SA range of 5300 to 53FF and also unique ie not already defined within the FSUIPC_IO.ini file

For FDS software you need to ask Steve Cos

Edit: You could always build your own see http://www.737ng.co.uk/djb/brake_pressure_gauge.pdf

David

Nat Crea

Jack I still haven't got the correct 737 indicator! :)
Have something close for now...the real thing is 1 1/2".
There are a million 2" brake pressure gauges out there unfortunately.

Nat

Jetcos

MIP_BRAKE_PRESSURE=53C3

2 byte word.   Output 0-3000
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jackpilot

Quote from: Nat Crea on February 28, 2014, 03:45:17 AM
Jack I still haven't got the correct 737 indicator! :)

Yep! I remember now that we missed one   :D

Quote from: XOrionFE on February 27, 2014, 03:40:05 PM
we all have to admit that on some level we have to be nuts.   Now I am thinking about buying a darn FI Brake Pressure guage.  :o

Scott

Not to hi-jack the thread  but, while at it, I remind you that the now famous real ½"  is highly desirable too in any cockpit worth its wings!!
(Ask Mau)   :P

Jack

sagrada737

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the Offset information.   I'll give it a try.

With all the good things going on at FDS, you folks still have time to offer high quality support for Sim Builders and their projects.  Greatly appreciated !  By the way...  Don't you get any sleep  :)   It's rare to see someone so dedicated to their work.  Thanks for taking time for little things like this.

I have to say that building up my Sim Project would not have happened if it had not been for the product offerings by Flight Deck Solutions and the level of support afforded to builders like me.  My 737 Sim Project is now at a point where most all the major systems are operational and working nicely without problems - except for the ones I cause  - like this Brake Pressure gauge addition  ;D   It's truly kind of you to help when you are able - even if it's not an FDS product.

It's been a great experience working on my Sim Project thus far, and a joy to share friends and family as-well-as others along the way.  Of course, any big project is not without moments of frustration, but I've learned that is typical for this scale and scope of a project.  I'm in the packaging phase of my project now, and hope to finish up the basic Sim in a few months (translate that into sometime this year) with the completed flight controls and Nose Section/Interior goodies.  Thanks again for making such high quality products.

As a side note...  I just loaded up MegaScenery 2.0 for Washington State.  My son is moving up that way, and I look forward to drilling holes in the sky over Washington when he comes for a visit.  He has a great time in the Sim.

Mike

jackpilot

[ebay]261389790391[/ebay]

[ebay]291088910384[/ebay]

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate