Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
138 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 138
Total: 138

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Projector alignment question

Started by Let410, July 21, 2015, 11:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let410

Good morning everyone and thank you for reading.

I work for a company that operates Let 410's We recently had a simulator installed that uses P3D as the sim software.

The sim consists of a Disused Let 410 Cockpit and has three Projectors that displays the image in a wrap around curved screen.

I have noticed that the Projector is mounted off centre to the right of the cockpit centreline by about 10 to 15 Centimetres. I have also noticed that the Centre off the screen is not aligned with the centre of the cockpit but aligns to the off centre centre projector.

This means that we need to use CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE and CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to move the view around so that whom ever is being tested has the correct view.

The installer is adamant that this is "normal" for this type of set-up but I am not convinced.

My layman mind tells me that the centre projector should be aligned with the centre of the cockpit and that it should not be necessary to alter the view in-game.

Your advise please

RayS

I just recently adjusted my 3-projector setup to move the "Point of view" to the left by about 18 inches, so the view looks correct from the pilot's perspective.

The 'perspective' is important here. Having the center of the projected image line up with the center of the cockpit will cause some pain in your neck and confuse your brain a little as the runway centerline during landing should appear right in front of the pilot and not on the screen centerpoint.

This is a known phenomenon with projector setups. Conversely, if the first officer is training, the view needs to be set up so the image favors the right side.
Ray Sotkiewicz

FredK

Ideally each projector should be aligned to the center of the screen it is projecting on.  Ideally each projector should be the identical distance from the screen assuming that the projectors are identical.

Most cockpit simmers that I know of have their curved screens concentric with the cockpit.  Some (like myself) have the screen setup offset so the center screen aligns more with the pilot's eye point.  This latter method completely eliminates the "crabbing" effect inherent with FSX and P3D from a pilot's perspective....the visual perspective is perfect across the full sweep of the screen.  However in that case the "crabbing" effect is exacerbated for the FO side.  My logic is that most times I fly alone and when I do have a guest I am the one that is usually in the FO seat.

So if by the "right side" you mean that the center projector is offset towards the FO side this really makes no logical sense....unless there are some field of view physical constraints with the projector placement.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Garys

I set my projectors up so that the centre projector is inline with the centre of the cockpit. I then made the necessary changes in the view settings so that the runway centre line runs between the captains legs with absolutely no crabbing effect and saved that profile. I did the same for the F/O side and saved that as a separate profile.

This gives the advantage of being able to start the sim to favour the PIC. Starting the sim with a normal view setting is great for photos.

rs3tier

I am interested in this as I have a similar issue.
When you say you made the necessary changes to the view settings.. are you referring to "eyepoint" as my experience is changing this can put the runway between the captains (or F/O) legs when on the ground and taxing - but wont fix it when they are on final approach (say from 10 miles out).  On the final approach the runway still appears in the center of the projected image rather than in front of the PIC.

My only solution to solving both of these has been to rotate the view (approx 5 degrees) rather than moving the eyepoint within the cockpit.  If you are managing to do it without using the rotate option I would be really keen to try that as the crabbing effect for the "other" pilot is definitely an unwanted side effect.

I have a video I took the other night which around the 6 minute mark shows the position of the runway relative to the PIC and you can see it is still offset to the left of the center screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKEjT8K-tsU

Cheers,
Rob

Nat Crea

Off topic sorry...
Rob that private Melbourne 737 is fully operational now btw...
I was invited over and flew my first ever VatSim flight that same Monday night in the opposite direction. It was very cool.

Nat

rs3tier

Looks great Nat! It is still on my list but as always the real world got in the way and my window of opportunity closed again.  We are looking at WF now so I doubt it will get back on my radar until after November as I am trying to avoid any major changes prior to that.

Based on that pic a visit would still be the way to go I think :)

Cheers,
Rob

HarryZ

Your 3 projector set-up with P3D (or FSX) has its limitations when it comes to displaying the proper eye point view.  You can set it up for either the Capt or F/O but not both at the same time.  The way professional simulators handle this is to use very expensive prism displays or up to 8 projectors in a collative display. This gives the same eye point viewing for both pilots but unless you want to mortgage the house to pay for this kind of visual most people put up with the limitations and adjustments.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

bernard S

Jon Boe

Yes, one of these.  However, you only have airport scenery on a per airport basis and have to buy each one unless they come with the surplus unit you obtain.  Even then it's only a handful based on the training that the simulator was used for.

It's the old adage... you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Jon
B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

bernard S

Well Sir you have opened that naughty boy box shame on you  :angel:  It ALL depends on what you are going to use for image generation.. right?  Getting one of these things is not a plug and play solution

The Simulator Hosts Interface ?? (thats a biggie)
Support for  Projector/Display  (thats biggie)
Real-Time Physics Controlled – Particle Based Environmental Effects
Regional Weather & Radar Correlated Storm Systems (thats biggie)
World-Wide Geo-Specific Terrain Imagery (the biggie )
the above are the starting blocks...

Its all big issues  simple solution...  answer gut it and use whatever image generator you like FSX X plane PD3 etc but like you said ... you get what you get and you don't throw a fit 

jackpilot

I'm really impressed by the Particle Based Environmental Effects item   :laugh:

Jack

Nat Crea

QuoteI'm really impressed by the Particle Based Environmental Effects item

Don't Jack, just a fancy term for "rain/snow"  ;)

Nat

bernard S

roflmao    yup  does that make me pompous or bombastic  either is good  :P

Bob Reed

So to answer the OP's question, yes, this normal behaviour in FSX and P3D as P3D uses FSX's main engin.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate