Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 09:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
522 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A bit of inspiration and advice please

Started by mdavenport, July 03, 2017, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

I am after a little bit of inspiration and advice please on what to focus on next on my sim project.

My goal is to buy components that will (when space / sim hanger available) allow me to possible fit out a proper 737 sim.  During my journey my sim need to be usable as I fly it 2-3 times a week.

I have the following setup so far after just getting my MIP:-

HARDWARE

2 x i7 PC's (1 for P3D and 1 for Avionics)
3 x 23" LED monitors for visuals
Fly Engravity Dual Seat MIP (FO ICS modules not yet added but I do have the FO PFD screen)
Jetmax TQ
FDS MX CDU (CAPT ONLY)
Sismo Pedestal
Simujabs Yoke (CAPT ONLY)
Saitek Rudder Pedels (CAPT ONLY)
No Overhead yet but am using a touch screen monitor by my side but its not great

SOFTWARE

P3D v3
Prosim
ORBX - full suite
UK2000 airports
REX TD
AS16
ASCA
PFPX
TOPCAT

The space I have available is limited at the moment.  I don't have enough space for a cockpit frame so if I do get an overhead I need to have a creative way of mounting it, i.e. a stand as limited space and overhead mounting points.

Also, the cost of the overheads are really expensive so I am also interested in other cost effective options or other vendors.  The ones am considering are Fly engravity, Simworld, Jetmax, FDS but will take me years to afford.  I could do with something in the region of £2000 but don't know of anyone selling at this price point and am not technically minded that I could build my own.

Also the list below is on my wish list but I really don't know what to focus and save for for my next step.  If an overhead was cheaper I would probably focus on that but at the £6000 price point its a way off:-

1. Overhead FWD and AFT
2. 737 Seat (CAPT)
3. Simujabs 737 Rudder Pedals
4. 60" TV to replace the 3 x 23" screens.  Eventually getting 3 x 60" (no room for a projector)
5. Missing CP Flight FO panels for my Fly Engravity setup (but I don't use FO side much)!

All advise welcome..

MD

navymustang

One point I would suggest is looking at used gear, especially the overheads.  You will find several for sale on this site.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

mdavenport

Quote from: navymustang on July 03, 2017, 12:09:44 PM
One point I would suggest is looking at used gear, especially the overheads.  You will find several for sale on this site.

Good point.. I've occasionally been looking at the classifieds but will take a much more thorough look. 

Do you feel the overhead is the next logical upgrade given all the other items on the wish list :-O

navymustang

Yes - the realism it adds is incredible. And yes - I have a used Sismo unit for sale  :)

PM me for details.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

mdavenport

Hi all,

Whilst I am continuing to look for a suitable OVH which meets my current budget, a few people have mentioned building my own.

Jim, I dropped you another follow up email earlier.

I have no electrical engineering experience or skills but could convince myself to try.

Do you have any pointers in terms of where to go for the parts, instructions on what to do etc..?  Recommended guides etc.?

I've come across the following website who seem to sell a kit but don't sell gauges or electronics etc.. Not sure why they sell everything in their kit but the gauges and electronics, these are pretty important items.  Where would I get a complete kit from that does include these?

http://flightsimulatorparts.com/product/boeing-737-complete-starter-pack/

Also, are their any cheaper (unbranded) sellers of OVH's that probably compromise on realism in terms of switches and knobs in favour for a more attractive price point.

If I still draw blanks then I will need to go back to saving for a while more before I can get one :-(

mdavenport

Also, as an alternative/interim solution to the full overhead, do people ever use a touch screen monitor and mount this in the overhead place?

If so what size monitor do you typically go for?

blueskydriver

Hey Mark,

I was just about to post the idea of using a touchscreen for the Overhead, but you got there first...which is good because you're gaining your own next step mind of thinking. Thus, you should look at a touchscreen that is roughly the same size as the Overhead, if possible, and then you mount it vertically/portrait mode. Also, look for a used one because you will take the monitor out once you get a real Overhead.

As for making your own, it's no different then buying one from some company, BUT you'll have too source everything, like switches, buttons, annunciators, gauges (all hardware) and so on. You'll spend a lot of time and effort doing this; however, some guys have made Overhead Panels by getting a plexiglass section cut in the same shape, then they get a printout of the Overhead (matching 1:1) and attach it to the back of the plexi.

Next, you drill holes in the plexi for the hardware, but you should have a backing panel, cut in the same shape as the entire plexi Overhead shape and use the backer for mounting the hardware (you need something solid like metal or aluminum). Again, this might save money, but you will spend a lot time making it...I recommend you go with a touch screen and save your money to buy an Overhead at a later date.

Do check the classifieds here on the CB site and over on www.mycockpitbuilders.org

Although, their classified page has been problematic lately, but keep checking it. It all takes time for sure too find or buy one; unless, you got very deep pockets full of money. Albeit, even wealthy people must wait because no flight sim company has parts stocked on hand, it's pretty much all build to order. So, look on the bright side, everyone has been there or will be there waiting for an Overhead at some point...lol. ????

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

mdavenport

Hi John

Thanks for your post and glad to see I'm not going off completely in the wrong direction.

Ive been checking classified on here and Prosim but will keep a close eye on mycockpitbuilders site.

In terms of a touch screens I seem to be able to get the length of an overhead covered on a 32" or 37" but not the width. Even on a 37" monitor it's about 250mm short on the width.

Any suggestions on size?

The bigger I look for in a touch screen the more expensive. For example a 37" seems to be about £1300-£1500 which is a lot especially if I can get a second hand overhead for a similar price.

If it were more in the region of £500-£600 it's easier justified.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackpilot

Jack

mdavenport

Quote from: jackpilot on July 06, 2017, 12:25:43 PM
You cant get better than that... annunciators included
Hurry up going fast
http://www.cockpitsimparts.co.uk/index.php?id_product=138&controller=product&live_configurator_token=9c56361635719df73380cff6e5251569&id_shop=1&id_employee=2&theme=theme7&theme_font=font8

Hi Jack,

Thanks for pointing this out but on looking, is it still that good as there appears to be an awful lot missing and not included:-

Not included: 
Switches http://www.cockpitsimparts.co.uk/category.php?id_category=7&p=2
LED's&Boxes http://www.cockpitsimparts.co.uk/category.php?id_category=19
Knobs http://www.cockpitsimparts.co.uk/category.php?id_category=13
Overhead Frame.
Gauge servos and electronics.
Displays.

Unfortunately the links don't work so I can't work out how much more will need to be spent.  I guess I will need to contact them..

How do I work out the number and type of switches, LED's, knobs etc that I really need to complete it?

scratching my head a little - lol...

jackpilot

You will need that "awful lot"anyway , even if you make your own panels.
The set offered by these guys is probably (IMHO) the best value on the market now, and they are in the UK !!

The overhead is the most expensive and complicated part of the sim
Plus the fact that you will need an avionics software to make it work (ex:Prosim ) which means $$ .
Start with the Bill Bulfer "737 cockpit companion book" where everything 737 is explained in detail, including (which switch does what).
The fast working alternative is a touch screen, which (IMHO again) does not need to be full size.

No easy decisions but you have to take the plunge at one point or you will end up "scratching you head" forever.  ;)

Jack

fordgt40

Jack

Well said  :)
Thats how I did it by snapping up very cheap offer for the O/H back plate and panels. Then working out the rest. There are always reasons for not making a decision. but you will not progress very far!

David

mdavenport

Hi all

How does v3 of their panels look as they appear to ship with a lot more of the stuff that is required?

Also any recommendation on where to obtain working gauges, interface panels and what electrical equipment and wire would be required?

Oh and LCD screen for the electrical panel?

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackpilot

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate