Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
62 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 84
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Monitor too small, too big

Started by FSAddon_boss, August 10, 2021, 12:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSAddon_boss

Trying to use as much of the hard- and software that I already have and not spend enormous amounts of money..... so I settled for using AirManager to display my stem gauges in the future panel.
But unfortunately, none of the monitors fits.

I have a 17" that can display the main 6 instruments, but not the engine gauges on the right.

I have 2 24" monitors that are wide enough, but not high enough, leaving the top two engine instruments empty.

And I have my 27" monitor (shown below) that can accommodate all gauges, but then sticks out the side of the panel !!

What is wisdom ???? Maybe design a new panel with its size based on the 24" monitor and start all over?

Best regards,
Francois
retired

ame

Extend the panel by attaching a black-painted piece to the left of the cut panel. This will cover the part of the 24" monitor that sticks out.

navymustang

I think you said it right - redesign the panel so the instruments are spread out and your panel hides the complete monitor. Make sure you leave enough space to provide a place for supporting beams and other hardware around the edges.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FSAddon_boss

Decided to ' re-work' the panel and make it fit. Will cut it in two parts as well, easier for maintenance and possible changes later on. That way I can also use the smaller 24" monitor of which I have two, without sacrificing my large ' work' monitor !

Back to the drawing board.....
Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

Have you thought about using poster board to make rough drafts of what you want? Just use that and blue masking tape, and then tape as many pieces as needed together for the overall size.

Then, you either draw it all out by hand or get a printout of the main panel for the aircraft you like, and cut out all the holes in the printout. That way you can transcribe/trace it all onto the poster board.

Once you got the poster board ready you transcribe/trace it onto the final material...wood, plastic or whatever you're going too use. The point is, you'll have a mock up with poster board and can determine if it'll work before cutting anything out in the final material.

Lastly, think about taking the monitors out of the cases, but use some cheap used lcd monitors. No need to disassemble new ones when all you need is some decent ones. You'll have to come up with a way to mount them though, and usually it can be pretty easy too do, just take your time and don't overthink it as they say....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FSAddon_boss

Yes, making a paper or carton mockup is a great Idea...... I got a full scale panel layout from somebody, pasted it on my multiplex and cut it all out..... over-enthusiastically.

Design 2.0 will need to take the monitor size into account indeed.... dumb dumb dumb.

I don't trust myself disassembling the monitors though, afraid I may break something beyond repair.... don't really have any cheap ones :-(
Best regards,
Francois
retired

navymustang

If you need cheap monitors, don't overlook heading to your local electronics recycling company and picking up monitors for pennies on the dollar. If you take one apart and break it, not so much of a loss.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FSAddon_boss

Well, Italy is nothing like the US I'm afraid. Recycling is a dirty word, and nothing is easy to find ever !! Can't even get planed wood.... have to buy rough would and either take it to a carpenter or do it yourself. 25 year old monitors are still being used in town hall and at the police station  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Best regards,
Francois
retired

bernard S

you want to grab those if you can because the monitors are crts with a digital interface

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate