Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
753 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 753
Total: 753

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Anyone with an FDS Shell on a wood base?

Started by jskibo, January 26, 2012, 05:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

I'm working on getting ready for a bit warmer weather in the garage to start building my platform and screen.  Probably a bit backwards as I haven't ordered my shell yet, but I want to get the platform up and mount the MIP, throttle and seats to it so I can at least test fly it a bit.

I suppose I can always unscrew it and move it once the shell arrives, but I was wondering if anyone running an FDS MIP and Shell had measurements of how far back the MIP was from the front of the platform?  8x8 platform?
Less than 4 years to retirement......

jackpilot

8X8 is correct. I used 2X8" and 3/4 plywood screwed in
As for the placement of the MIP hard to say.
I would not screw anything in place , including the seats , make it temporary as it is a matter of ±an inch for a perfect fit, all depending on what seats you have, your own size etc.
My 2¢ wait until you  have the shell and side liners to know where things go exactly

I did not do it (yet) but Maurice system of a 2 parts platform is the best.
Easier to make it straight.Width of the "drawer" should be the width of the MIP so that you can screw the sides "feet" flush.
You need HD low profile casters, total weight including pilots is supposed to be way more than a 1000lbs
Watch for vertical clearance with the casters
One more thing, If you have room for it and want to build a wall and a door, make the platform one more foot at the back . Cockpit is tight and it can make make it easier to get in.

Wait a bit , other builders  more experienced in that matter will chime in. :D

Jack

Maurice

You may want to look at how I did it. The only change I would make now if I was to redo it would be to change the inner platform size so that the width is exactly the same size as the MIP width. This allows for better clearance from the shell liners when you slide the inner platform in & out.

Aside from that, I'm very glad I did it this way since it makes it a million time easier to work on the MIP or to modify or troubleshoot anything (assuming you have enough space of course).

Here are some pictures I posted on Webshots:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578393990fLjxzB

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578561354jiyMIo

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jskibo

I remember that Maurice.  You did an awesome job.

I guess that might work well as I could build it as wide as the MIP and maybe 7ft long, then I would just have to make the other part once the shell comes (well once I order it).  This way I could screw a few things down and fly for the time being!

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on January 26, 2012, 11:43:44 AM
I remember that Maurice.  You did an awesome job.

I guess that might work well as I could build it as wide as the MIP and maybe 7ft long, then I would just have to make the other part once the shell comes (well once I order it).  This way I could screw a few things down and fly for the time being!

As Jack mentioned, you would be better off making it 8' long as well instead of 7ft if you can. This way, you could add a backwall in the future that could move with the platform. I don't have a back wall but I still like the 8' platform.

Just my 2 cents  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

The only "catch"with the 2 platforms  is the seats railing.
If you use J rails or have to move the seats sideways out, the rails will have to straddle the separation between the inner and outer plateform.
One member here made the inner platform as a trapeze which could be a way to avoid the problem.

Ah...nothing really simple in this mad Hobby!!  :P

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on January 26, 2012, 01:28:53 PM
The only "catch"with the 2 platforms  is the seats railing.

Very good point but instead of a trapeze, you could make the inner platform a bit wider at the back than at the front starting at the 5' mark & using right angles instead of a trapeze. Nothing gained except a little easier to build but if you are not afraid of angles, Mike Leavy's platform is a great example of a trapezoidal build.

Maurice

Nick1150

That's a great job Maurice !!!

I am in the stage of building my cockpit base right now so I have the specific dimensions as follows :

PS. This is not my drawing:

Hope that helps,

Regards

Nick
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

jskibo

Excellent!

Is that drawing for the full shell or just the inner pience for MIP and seats?

Nat Crea

Looks like the full outline of the FDS Shell to me...99.99999999% :)

Nat

Nick1150

Hi,

Yes this is the outer limits of the shell structure, which means that if you build a base with these dimensions your shell will sit exactly on the base without leaving any space outside of the shell.

Actually I am building my base right now with these exact dimensions

:)
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

jackpilot

Seems to me you 're making it complicated for nothing vs a  simple 8X8 structure.
The shell has to sit properly once bolted to spread its own  + the overhead weight and you may end up a tiny bit too short on either side.  ;)

Jack

Maurice

Fully agree with Jack. There is no benefit whatsoever in making the base exactly the same size & shape as the shell unless you just don't like a square shape  :)

My 2 cents

Maurice

muzzza64

Can someone supply the dims of this shell, its about what i need.
Also if some has the cabin door dims and angle of the dangle down to the floor from top of door to absolute left and right of shell.

Thanks

Muz

jackpilot

Jack

Nat Crea

Muzz
If you're looking for dimensions to actually copy the FDS shell,
I don't think you'll have much luck here.
There are lot of real 737 nose dimensions floating around the web if that helps,
but sharing FDS's shell design is not ethical (maybe illegal too).

Nat

Bob Reed

Quote from: melnato on May 14, 2013, 04:38:49 AM
Muzz
If you're looking for dimensions to actually copy the FDS shell,
I don't think you'll have much luck here.
There are lot of real 737 nose dimensions floating around the web if that helps,
but sharing FDS's shell design is not ethical (maybe illegal too).

Nat

Nat, did you even read this post? He is not trying to steal anything.

Nat Crea

GDay Bob,

I re-read his question and come to the same conclusion.
The base dimensions are freely available in this thread.
If he was after the height, why not just ask for that? Instead Muzz said:
"Can someone supply the dims of this shell". Two different things to me, but
maybe Muzz can clarify...

Nat

sluyt050

I'am almost finished my base on which the FDS Nose Section should perfectly fit. A square platform would be to large for my room.
The dimensions (in mm) are:
Front width = 1700
Aft width = 2495
Depth = 2137
Flight deck Height = 260
Al tubing: 60x60x4
Edward

sagrada737

Very nice job of designing and construction on your flight deck Base Assembly.  I just received my FDS Nose Section, and I have in mind a similar design.  Thanks for posting the photos, as it really helps me to better understand the layout.

I like the footprint profile of the Base.  It seems to make more sense over a square platform.  Also, the wheels on the base seem essential.

By the way...   It looks like a nice job of welding the aluminum.  Did you do the welding yourself?  I plan on using thin-wall 2" x 2"  steel tubing for my design.  I was advised by FDS that it might be a good idea to establish the top of the Base at 18", which allow for better access.  Any thoughts on this dimension with regard to your approach?

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

sluyt050

Quote from: sagrada737 on May 18, 2013, 08:00:26 AM
Very nice job of designing and construction on your flight deck Base Assembly.  I just received my FDS Nose Section, and I have in mind a similar design.  Thanks for posting the photos, as it really helps me to better understand the layout.

I like the footprint profile of the Base.  It seems to make more sense over a square platform.  Also, the wheels on the base seem essential.

By the way...   It looks like a nice job of welding the aluminum.  Did you do the welding yourself?  I plan on using thin-wall 2" x 2"  steel tubing for my design.  I was advised by FDS that it might be a good idea to establish the top of the Base at 18", which allow for better access.  Any thoughts on this dimension with regard to your approach?

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Hey Mike,

The frame has been welded by a small company for € 650 (material and labor, 1 day work). Since Al is is about the same price as Fe, I chose for Al and TIG welding.
I assume that your advised 18" is the height of the flight deck above the ground. Quite high I must say. You must be sure to have sufficient ceiling height (2500 mm in my case) with respect to projector mounting. My 260 mm is based on the max height of the control column mechanism below the flight deck. I don't see a reason to make it higher than strictly necessary and I do not intend to crawl under the base for doing maintenance.
Edward

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate