Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 12:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
711 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 711
Total: 712

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

787 throttle for 737

Started by jackpilot, November 04, 2009, 06:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Wow Jack.

That aluminum work looks incredible and the clutch idea is fantastic.   Can wait to see these in action!

jackpilot

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on January 26, 2010, 06:45:34 PM
How much were those clutches? I think I'd have a problem trying to install one on the #2 throttle shaft. Please post pictures when you get the clutches mounted. I'm very interested.

Mine came at $110 a pop. They have a wide array depending on torque, bore etc
Check the Polyclutch site and Drawings.
There is a guy there , Matt, very helpful. They can probably do custom too for your #2.
Anyway I'll report on that. Should get them next week.

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on January 26, 2010, 02:38:42 PM
Today's pic....
Good thing I do not put a value on my hours!!
I ordered two Clutches for friction. These can be used as a break and allow a very smooth action. Torque can be adjusted up to 13 pounds.
Very nice people:
http://www.polyclutch.com/polyclutch/mechanical-slip-clutches/slippers/

I almost missed this post. That is a great find Jack. Wish I had known about that when I struggled with my TQ. Who knows, a re-build may be in the works soon (yeah right, over my dead body  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Well the idea is not mine, here is the source (David Allen) and a very clever one....

http://www.737flightsim.com/FlapBrake/FlapBrake.html
http://www.737flightsim.com/AutoThrottle/ClutchBrake.html

Jack

Kennair

Jack that 787 throttle looks remarkably like the 777.  Are they using the same style?

Beautiful work by the way.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

You are right. Unless they change it on prod airplanes it is very similar, less the trim lever and some details.

Jack

Kennair

Well in light of that I have decided to build my 777 in grey!  I know the purists will shun me but I really prefer the grey over the brown, and looking at the 787 kind of confirmed my decision.  I also have 737 panels and avionics that I can use making it cheaper to move platforms.  Its also easier to find grey panels and hardware than brown. Anyway, I might be shot down for this decision but I'm always up for a fight :)

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

YOU are the designer and it is Your airplane. Improving a Boeing design to fit your own taste is 100%OK . The 777 has a much cleaner and streamlined Instrument panel than the 737 and the 787 cockpit is grey too, so no prob!  ;D

Jack

Kennair

Thanks Jack.  I also have Gwyn on board for the TQ and MIP build so expect some fairly unique things to come out of Aerosim Solutions very soon.

Ken.

Bob Reed

Hi Ken. Well one of things about building your own cockpit is you can build it the way you want! My cockpit has many of these "mods". I am building a "737" but my MCP is a 777, EFIS panels are real 747,why? It is what I had and real panels are so cool. I will switch them over at some point but I am in no rush to do so. They work and when I am flying and it is dark in the sim I can't see the brown or gray and I am concentrating on flying I can't "see" the difference. You know never once while I was flying an approach did I stop and shut the sim off and say  I can't do this the sim is just not right". In fact I usually say wow that was nice!!! 

Kennair

Thanks Bob,  good advice.  I guess we can get bogged down in both authenticity and non-authenticity, the main thing is we have a cool sim at our disposal and flying is the aim.

Ken.

scorpioflyer

Quote from: jackpilot on January 21, 2010, 09:04:08 AM
Actually these are used for kitchen cabinet doors....hé hé hé !
I used them on my previous TQ and I bet they are good for several million cycles!
Add a microswitch and Voila!

Jack

I have seen thrust reverse levers in operation on various heavy jets and they have quite a lot of travel from forward thrust all the way to full reverse thrust. It seems to me that you can't accomplish that with the hinges that you are using, unless a 737 system works differently. The hinges themselves have quite a lot of travel, but the way you have them bolted to the thrust levers arm seems to prevent that. Unless if they are not door hinges, but rather some other hardware that I can't think of.

Cheers
Antonio

jackpilot

Hi Antonio,
You are absolutely right.

(These things allow an angle of about 50° travel, more than enough to activate a microswitch!) They are bolted to the trottle arm and push/ pull the reverser arm via the little nylon roller that can be seen on the pics.
Most Boeing TQs have been keeping the same ergonomics since the days when all these levers actuated heavy mechanical systems, hence the wide travel of the 737 reversers.
Not needed today. And BTW on the 787, and 777, TQ reversers positions are very close to what I did.(or the other way around..lol)
My TQ is not a faithfull copy of anything real...just inspired by the 787
Cheers.
JP

Jack

phil744

Jack, you have anything to do with this??

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jackpilot

Negative...This is definitely a 787.
I had never seen the innards but this shows that they (like me...!lol) have distinct modules and that the Power levers are independent of the two others, ie flaps and speedbrake...comforting hey!
Where did U get that??

Jack

scorpioflyer

Quote from: jackpilot on February 12, 2010, 02:31:50 PM
Hi Antonio,

(These things allow an angle of about 50° travel, more than enough to activate a microswitch!) They are bolted to the trottle arm and push/ pull the reverser arm via the little nylon roller that can be seen on the pics.
Most Boeing TQs have been keeping the same ergonomics since the days when all these levers actuated heavy mechanical systems, hence the wide travel of the 737 reversers.
Not needed today. And BTW on the 787, and 777, TQ reversers positions are very close to what I did.(or the other way around..lol)
Cheers.
JP

Jack:

I am not very familiar with new technology aircraft. I used to fly 747,s DC-8's and L1011,s as a Flight Engineer, and indeed the degree of travel of the thrust reverse levers was quite high. I remember that on an L1011 you had to bring the levers to just about the full vertical position in order to get full reverse.
However great ingenuity on your part. Keep up the great work.

Antonio

jackpilot

Even on the 737, it has a long travel.
I will not make the reversers activate an axis, they will be full on or off. Good enough for  a simulator, as once you have safely landed the plane on the numbers or not far beyond, the rest is pure eye/ear candy.

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Quote from: scorpioflyer on February 15, 2010, 07:43:54 AM
Quote from: jackpilot on February 12, 2010, 02:31:50 PM
Hi Antonio,

Cheers.
JP

Jack:

I am not very familiar with new technology aircraft. I used to fly 747,s DC-8's and L1011,s as a Flight Engineer, and indeed the degree of travel of the thrust reverse levers was quite high. I remember that on an L1011 you had to bring the levers to just about the full vertical position in order to get full reverse.
However great ingenuity on your part. Keep up the great work.

Antonio

It's the same for the 727. Straight up and down for full reverse.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Sam Franklin

Quote from: jackpilot on January 26, 2010, 02:38:42 PM
Today's pic....
Good thing I do not put a value on my hours!!
I ordered two Clutches for friction. These can be used as a break and allow a very smooth action. Torque can be adjusted up to 13 pounds.
Very nice people:
http://www.polyclutch.com/polyclutch/mechanical-slip-clutches/slippers/

Sorry to reanimate an old thread. I just wanted to know how you attached the lever. I can find these type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Latch-Push-Catch-Kitchen-Cabinet-Door-To-Open-Touch-wardrobe-units-Free-screws-/200966659911?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Cabinets_Cupboards_MJ&hash=item2eca8bdf47 but they need to fit inside each thrust lever so could I take off the screw plate and hot-glue the catch the the thrust lever? Ideas appreciated.

jackpilot

Hot glue will not hold . they have to be attached with tiny bolts/nuts

Jack

Sam Franklin

Quote from: jackpilot on September 29, 2013, 02:03:33 PM
Hot glue will not hold . they have to be attached with tiny bolts/nuts

Did you adapt the push to open latch so that the bolt was at the side?

jackpilot

I made the best I could figure out at the time.
You have to work with what you get and adapt it to your own systems.
This is not an exact science   :D

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on September 30, 2013, 04:10:15 AM

I always thought flight deck building was the same as paint by numbers. No wonder I got so frustrated and finally quit  ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Sam Franklin

Quote from: jackpilot on September 30, 2013, 04:10:15 AM
I made the best I could figure out at the time.
You have to work with what you get and adapt it to your own systems.

Well I'm going to order some and give it a go! Thanks for your help again - how to I give you some rep?

Joe Lavery

It is like painting by numbers Maurice, unfortunately someone keeps changing the numbers...  ::)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate